HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - Eaglemoss - 1/51

More work on the cannon. I am setting up just one of the guns with tackles appearing ready to use instead of the rope expended by wrapping around the rope between the blocks and also with the train tackle fitted

post-819-0-57870800-1428727989_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-40593400-1428728125_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-23992500-1428728163_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-40889100-1428728193_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-08499800-1428728214_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-38891200-1428743354_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

The question I raised with myself a few days ago about what might be the correct method of rigging the gun tackles has been bugging me. The diagram from Ray Parkin's book convinced me that the diagram I followed from the AOTS is wrong. Endeavour's guns did not have that third, higher, eyebolt on each side that are shown on the AOTS diagram so rigging the tackles to the rail posts doesn't work when the tackes are hooked to the lower eyebolt. The tackles would foul with the recoil ropes when the gun is fired.

So I re-rigged all of the guns today to what I think is the correct configuration.

Guns are finally finished, now I can go back to rigging the shrouds.

Cheers

post-819-0-75319800-1428818675_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-37694100-1428818697_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-63291300-1428818716_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-74529200-1428818740_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-26886500-1428818757_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Steve!

Fantastic build I must say.

Your decks looks awsome. Sadly this log starts after they have been laid.

Could you please tell how you finished them? What kind of wood? What color/varnish etc.

Keep it up :)

Cheers!

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

Hi VonHoldinghausen

Thanks for the compliment.

The decks are the planks provided with the kit, I blackened the edges with a soft pencil to simulate caulking and the nail holes are drawn on with a pencil. No special coating just two coats of sanding sealer. I don't have many pics of the actual laying of the deck

Cheers

Steve 

post-819-0-53313800-1428827837_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-59664300-1428827864_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-80530900-1428827915_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-36658800-1428828040_thumb.jpg

Just to let you know. The replica has two binnacles either side of the skylight.

post-18517-0-66729300-1428833727_thumb.jpg

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Hi

Today I was busy making the futtock staves and catharpins on the foremast shrouds, I also made all the hooks for the futtock shrouds. These special pliers make the hook-making easier. The futtock staves are made of served thread, I thought they might be too flexible but they are fine. The futtock staves on real ships are served rope so i thought I would keep it authentic. The catharpins are also served, their length has to be perfect otherwise they pull the shrouds together or allow the shrouds to spread once the topmast shrouds are fitted.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-26559700-1429436412_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-95335300-1429436431_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-51927500-1429436453_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-33413500-1429436468_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-08963200-1429436489_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-18906900-1429436510_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Some innovation

I started making the lower stays and was thinking how I would make the mouse. I have seen other builders on this site weave the knittled cover using thread, and I thought, nup, not me. I came up with a better idea - can I use something that is already woven, like some sort of fabric? Then I thought what about wound dressing? I tried it and it worked brilliantly, its already adhesive and very flexible so it moulds around the mouse (made of wood). Once I blacken the stay with black paint and it will look pretty right I reckon. This one is the fore preventer stay which is smaller than the fore stay, the effect will probably be better on the bigger mouse of the fore stay. I knocked this one up pretty quick just to see how it would turn out so the serving is a bit rough. When I make the next one I will take some pics and create a separate post in the section on rigging.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-52969600-1429695142_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-25095600-1429695185_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Wow Steve, very clever (and good looking) mouse!

Nice.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Slog

Greg, I can't remember where I got those pliers they came in a set of four different ones, I think it was Hobby Tools Australia www.hobbytools.com.au I just had a look on their site but couldn't find the ones I have but they have lots of other good stuff

The pliers have got Micro Mark written on them.  Isn't that the name of a US tool place?

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Steve

Thanks I've found them at the site you gave me. They are called trip pin bending pliers.

Cheers mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Slightly different Greg, Maybe Hobby Tools don't have them any more but yes Slog they are on the Micro Mark website

post-819-0-86042900-1429705994_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-56529100-1429706133_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Thanks again Steve. I'll check their website. Been looking on ebay, tooooo expensive, most are from the States, so postage is the killer.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Mate that wound dressing effect is brilliant - can you advise the brand etc and where you go it.  I was going to leave my smaller ones bare wood until I saw this and with the damage issue; gives me a chance to revisit and use this stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat

I used Elastoplast Heavy Fabric, there a few different ones available, depends on the texture you need for your scale. I got mine at Woolworths

Cheers

Steve

Absolutely brilliant idea re mouse. that should go on the front page of this website.

Thanks Mike

Yeah it was one of those eureka moments. I was initially looking at gauze bandage in the supermarket then I saw the Elastoplast and thought yes that's it, texture was right, flexible to mould around the mouse and self adhesive so it would stay in place long enough until it's sealed permanently with glue or paint

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, I went looking yesterday in a Chemist and couldn't find anything - should have known to go the supermarket :(

Did you use any glue or just the adhesive? If only the adhesive, you obviously believe the tackiness will last a lifetime.

It is a really clever idea and one of those that should be in the 'shop notes'  for all modellers. 

Thanks again

Pat

Hi Pat

Yes I put a little bit of PVA on where the ends join and I will be painting it black so the paint will also help hold it permanently. No I wouldn't rely on the adhesive on the dressing to hold it forever.

Steve

G'day Steve

I agree with Pat 100%. You should put your idea on http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4679-the-kit-bashers-guide-to-the-galaxy/.

it's for all the great ideas to help others, and yours is on top of the pile.

Cheers

Greg

Thanks for that feedback Steve; it confirmed the thoughts I had on it also.

Now that I have repaired my foremast, I will also get a chance to add this detail - a very timey 'light bulb' moment by you :) 

many thanks again

Pat

Some innovation

I started making the lower stays and was thinking how I would make the mouse. I have seen other builders on this site weave the knittled cover using thread, and I thought, nup, not me. I came up with a better idea - can I use something that is already woven, like some sort of fabric? Then I thought what about wound dressing? I tried it and it worked brilliantly, its already adhesive and very flexible so it moulds around the mouse (made of wood). Once I blacken the stay with black paint and it will look pretty right I reckon. This one is the fore preventer stay which is smaller than the fore stay, the effect will probably be better on the bigger mouse of the fore stay. I knocked this one up pretty quick just to see how it would turn out so the serving is a bit rough. When I make the next one I will take some pics and create a separate post in the section on rigging.

Cheers

Steve

This is brilliant... and I'll follow suit when the time comes.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I started setting up the fore stay. I wormed the rope and temporarily rigged it in place to work out where the serving, mouse and eye will go.

According to my sources a ship this size had a fore stay made of 10" rope, which equates to 1.58mm diameter at this scale. I am using 1.57 mm Syren rope, but when I measure it with a calliper its 1.90mm. It looks a little too thick. The preventer stay is okay, it's made from 1.14mm rope and when I measure it with the caliber it's about 1.1mm, so pretty right. I might have to order the next smaller size for the fore stay.

post-819-0-02527200-1430043392_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

I agree the forestay looks too big.

I've done a bit of work converting the ropes and blocks on the masts from "The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship 1794 by David steel. It is from a ship 400 to 450 tons(closest tons I could source).  Actually it was a lot of data entry and calculations in MS Excel.

For Scale 1:60

The Fore Mast:

Forestay       4 strands    11" dia with 14" heart

conversion    1.5mm dia with 6mm heart

Preventor      4 strands    7" with 11" heart 

conversion    0.9mm dia with   5mm heart

With what sizes are available from suppliers, go with what we can source.

Otherwise will be making our own - not me though.

Cheers

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)