HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - Eaglemoss - 1/51

Thanks heaps for the information guys . That is why I love this site. I will step the mast as per AOTS.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't done anything on the ship for a few weeks, I've been otherwise occupied. Today I manged to get the mizzen stay made. Notice the difference to how its set up in the AOTS, I won't be fitting the staysail stay as shown in the AOTS either.

post-819-0-81554900-1442129097_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-32501900-1442129129_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-82912400-1442129158_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Looks awesome! I am about to rig the mizzen stay, was it set up with dead eye rather than a closed heart?

Yes the mizzen stay is set up with a deadeye. The standing rigging will be painted black to simulate tarring, I find that the paint stiffens the shrouds nicely making it easier to fit the rat lines.

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

• 1 month later...

Latest pics, main futtock shrouds done now working on the mizzen ones. I have started "tarring" the shrouds and stays

post-819-0-12242200-1445153913_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-01772900-1445153966_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-26884600-1445160553_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-89105100-1445160884_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Looking very good there Steve, nice crisp detail!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Ron

I did a post on this in page 17 of my log. I believe there are 7 shrouds and one top mast back stay. I believe this due to the angles of the deadeye chains on the 1768 droughts.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Its been a few weeks since I did anything, but I managed to get a few hours in this weekend. Finished doing the mizzen catharpins and futtock shrouds then I blackened the rest of the shrouds. I used flat black enamel diluted with turpentine to make it wick through the rope better and not be too black so it looks nore like real tarred rope

post-819-0-67187200-1449391255_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-85164900-1449391282_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-27047500-1449391307_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-41896000-1449391336_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-83229000-1449391355_thumb.jpg

Absolutely brillliant. The rope looks perfect.

I have taken a break from the shipyard to build a plastic model aircraft to enter a local modelling competition. the transition from wood to plastic is quite hard. Plastic is not very forgiving, you have be sharp with painting and finishing. I think this small break will sharpen up my modelling skills.

great work!

Thanks Mike

I wondered why you hadn't posted in a while. I used to make those plastic aeroplane models, and ships, even rockets and a lunar module when I was a kid, yeah the painting is the hardest part. That led me into the flying planes, building balsa wood planes and crashing them a lot. Then I built a couple of larger plastic ship models, the Revell USS Consitution, and the Revell Cutty Sark. I still have the Constitution. My mum still has the small scale plastic ships I built as a kid on her wall unit -theres a Mayflower, Bounty, Constitution and Victory.

Cheers

Steve

Love your work. I'm am also endeavouring to make the Caldecraft Endeavour. Only just completed the first planking.

Sorry if you have already answered this elsewhere but what made you decide on the colour scheme? Some modellers paint the hull white, some leave the hull untouched?

One more quick question, after completing the first planking what did you use as a filler?

Thanks clogger

I chose the colour scheme for a couple of reasons. I wanted my Endeavour to look like like an 18th century Admiralty model, hence the fairly light shade of the side planks and no white bottom. I also studied lots of old paintings of ships of this period in the 18th century. Marquardt In the AOTS book states that the bottom was covered in "brown stuff" not painted with white lead, so in that respect painting the bottom of the hull would be wrong anyway.

A lot of Endeavour builders try to make them look like the full size replica vessel, but I am not. Its the builder's choice.

For filler on the first planks I used spakfilla, I sanded the first planks fairly agressively (thats what theyre for) so I only needed to use filler where there were depressions. See pics below.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-61720000-1449559479_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-64227600-1449559601_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Sorry my memory failed me, it was a couple of years ago, it wasn't Spakfilla, it was an acrylic filler in a tub that I bought from Bunnings. Similar thing, plaster based

I know what you mean. I use these generic terms all the time! Like Esky when I want a cooler and hover when talking about carper vacuum. Lol

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Steve,

A long time ago I was considering going into flying model planes on the reel and wire (way before radio control). I went out to the airfield one warm spring day to watch some of the flyers.

This one gent had a brand new sparkeling dark blue US Navy Corsair. The gent had spent the whole winter building this plane  and  it was beautiful. He cranked up the engine grabbed the reel line and off the plane went. Up into the air, down into the ground nose first. The gent went over to the wreck, broke off the engine, splashed fuel all over the remains and lit it.

It was then I decided this hobby was not for me.

Yes I did the same thing, spent a week building my first plane went out to fly it and crashed it in about 5 seconds. After a few crashes I got the hang of it, then a couple of years later I stepped up to radio control and same thing, a few crashed planes before I got good at it. It's a hobby that gives you lots of building practice.

Haha yes Paul I did exactly the same thing, when I was a teenager I spent a couple of weeks building a free flight glider. First flight I towed it up like a kite using a fishing line. It got into a thermal and just kept going up up and away, never saw it again despite chasing after it in a car with my dad.

Anyway heres a pic of the ship, ready to fit the ratlines

post-819-0-36617100-1449995439_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Well, we now know that those glider designs were truly magnificent.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been very motivated to do much on the ship lately, until today. Continuing with the ratlines, made a real task for myself :o by electing to simulate the eye splices at each end of the ratline, but at least they look more realistic.

post-819-0-43934100-1451714882_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Shipaholic,

I like the ratlines of yours..... nice job!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry