HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - Eaglemoss - 1/51

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

IMG_5835.thumb.JPG.c41b20c2f60fb02576200942ce9d3491.JPGAnother set of pics, I have paid attention to detail getting the rope thicknesses correct and shaping blocks, also showing the light blackening of standing rigging to simulate weathered tarred ropes

IMG_5649.JPG

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5686.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

• 3 weeks later...

A diversion from the rigging this week, made and fitted the stern window shutters. I made them with a window shaped raised bit that fits snugly inside the widow frames when closed, they stayed in place when just sat in position , then I made hinges. Also fitted the rudder pendants.

IMG_5790 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5793 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5795 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5797 (800x600).jpg

IMG_5799 (600x800).jpg

IMG_5803.JPG

Edited by shipaholic
changed some text

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Clean and nice look!

How many more hours are you guessing in order to finish her?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 3/1/2020 at 1:27 AM, Nirvana said:

Clean and nice look!

How many more hours are you guessing in order to finish her?

Still a long way to go, maybe a couple of hundred hours. I have been building this ship for 9 years now because I don't get to spend much time on it.

Today I finished fitting the blocks and attaching the crossjack yard to the mizzen mast. Yard is attached to mast using a sling-parrel, then slings through a large single block on the yard. Also changed the parrel on the gaff. Found some nice 5mm wooden balls in a local craft shop, applied some wood stain/lacquer and they look fine. I noticed that the HMB Endeavour replica uses one double block for the mizzen topsail sheet sheet lead. I have stayed with two single blocks.

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_0332 (920x963).jpg

Edited by shipaholic

15 hours ago, Sabranne28 said:

Hi, I am following your build log which is very informative and beautiful work. I noticed the quarter badges and the windlass with the heads are not of the kit. What is the thickness of the wood for the two items. Many thanks, Sab

Hi Sab

The windlass heads are the ones that came with the kit, they are cast metal. The quarter badges are ones I made and carved myself using 4mm thick boxwood.

There are many parts that I have made myself, such as metal parts and a lot of the rope that I made myself using a rope walk. Also there are many parts I have purchased separately such as blocks, some ropes, cannon barrels, lantern, helm etc. Most of the wood used is what came with the kit except for a few items made with wood I have purchased or left over from previous builds

• 3 weeks later...

Fitting the topsail tye blocks today. I realised that I should have put them on before installing the topgallant masts because they go over the mast head like the shrouds. No problem I just pushed the caps up, lucky I didn't use much glue on them.

IMG_5841.JPG

wow @shipaholic that looks amazing. 

My dad has given me the mid section (issues 100 upwards from memory) to build myself, so whilst we are in isolation due to COVID-19 i can finally make a start on it. 

I was wondering if you still had the magazines from 20 upwards? My dad put all his in storage and a few (5-10 issues i cant remember which ones exactly I've gotten them written down somewhere ?!)  have been damaged and for the last 4 years we have been trying to find a copy of them so we could get someone to send us photos/scans what ever suited the person.
I was wondering if you did have them would you be happy to contact me and send me the building plans so my dad could finish his model. 
He has all the parts for them still just not the magazines. 

We have contacted eagle moss several times and they claim they do not have electronic copies or issues or even physical copies anymore so unfortunately not an option. 

I hope to hear from you soon. 

Thanks Helena

helenamaygill@icloud.com

I have been doing a fair bit lately, mostly getting all the blocks prepared, stropped and fitted. Due to the Covid-19 lockdown here I am hoping to spend the whole 4 days of easter working on her

IMG_5861 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_5862 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

• 4 months later...

I am still working on dressing all the yardarms with the various blocks, pendants and footropes, and fitting various blocks to the rigging. Once all the blocks are in place I will install the running rigging

IMG_6027.JPG

Looks extremely neat and well done. Im also building here but unfortunately I will not reach this standard of craftsmanship. I'm rigging blocks etc.  I don't have a rope walk but will try to replicate what you have done .  Nice work

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 1 month later...

Finally got all the yards "dressed" with blocks and now working through adding all the running rigging

IMG_6046 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_6032 (768x1024).jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Arrangement of the main course sheets.

I did a bit of research to work out the best way to do the main course sheets. Because I have arranged the rails as depicted on the original 1768 draughts there are no bitts under the quarter deck rails. I looked at pictures of a few different Endeavour models in museums, both with and without those bitts and also checked qite a few reference books for how the sheets are set up. This is how I have set it up, I added a cleat to the bulwark and a block attached to the rail stanchion. Instead of hitching the standing part of the sheet to an eyebolt just forward of the mizzen channel, I hitched it to the fore mizzen chain to get it out from the hull a bit so the sheet line doesn't foul with the main shrouds so much when raised.

IMG_6176 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6177 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6178 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Most of the running rigging completed, still need the bunt lines, leech lines and bowlines. Debating whether to put them on, maybe I will just leave off the bowlines. Next job is making the boats

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

• 6 months later...

Funny how I'm nearly finished and I have lost interest a bit, its been 10 long years, but today i did a bit more and I will finish her in the next month or so

IMG_6461 (1024x985).jpg

IMG_6463 (768x1024).jpg

Edited by shipaholic

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2013 at 3:03 AM, shipaholic said:

I still have lots of pics taken during my planking effort if you want me to post them let me know. But agin I didn't follow the instructions entirely because I fitted the planks on the sides above the main wales so that they curved like the planks on a real ship which made the task a bit more difficult.

I would really like to see those! I am now at a point in my build, where I am almost avoiding to begin the second planking. I might be frightened by my own standards and goals in that matter... It would be nice, if you would like to share your approach.

IMG_0396.thumb.JPG.6eaa8bd861e003a7dcffb0b470723f16.JPGOkay Schubbe here are some more pics. The planks are thin and dont like the upward curvature, they tend to want to kink so lots of clamping to keep them flat whilst the glue sets. I used PVA with a spot of CA every 30 cm. Also here are pics of the transom I made instead of using the supplied one and how it should be at the side of the stern, so that the decorations sit properly. I later modified it a bit above the figurine

IMG_0391 (800x598).jpg

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0402 (1024x765) (640x478).jpg

IMG_0457 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0409 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0406 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0407 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0475 (640x478).jpg

IMG_0405 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0437 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0452 (640x478).jpg

IMG_0453 (640x478).jpg

18 Dec 2011 5.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

Edited by shipaholic
more pics