RMS Titanic's Lifeboat by monkeyman - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:35

I've almost finished with planking, only a few planks for each board left. Unfortunately, they are the most difficult ones due to insufficient bulkheads' width. I removed the bulkheads's tops already and currently doing a "guess-planking". Uggh...

For all those who decide to build this boat, I'd suggest to either replace bulkheads with proper ones or at least widen them a bit to the width of the deck. Here's a plan of the same Titanic's lifeboat, which might help:

post-17243-0-44476500-1423480346_thumb.jpg

Note, that each board has 15 planks.

Edited by monkeyman

your doing a great job with the V2.........and even a greater job at sorting the wheat from the chaff!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

your doing a great job with the V2.........and even a greater job at sorting the wheat from the chaff!  ;)

Mucho gracias, amigo! This boat causes me pain, so I'll be happy, if my sorting will help others avoid painfull stuff :-)

I've finished with planking, by the way, and now shaping the hull to fit the deck. I'll draw a couple pictures next time and explain, how to do the shaping. It's pretty easy, just takes some time.

Meanwhile, I've made a water barrel for my boat. It doesn't come with the original model, but should be on any lifeboat as well as rations packages, which I'll add a little later. Here's my barrel:

post-17243-0-97041600-1423783639_thumb.jpg

It's far from perfect (stupid hairs on the rope didn't burn well!), but hey, it's my first barrel! So don't be picky :-)

Edited by monkeyman

In case anybody interested in properly reproducing the clinker build, here's what awaits you after you finish the planking:

post-17243-0-77703600-1423784049_thumb.jpg

Bulkheads should be removed and ribs (timbers) installed. This is how they do it in real life: bulks only serve you at initial stages. Titanic's lifeboat had 38 ribs. Only their tips will be visible on this model, but I'll try to reproduce them in full anyway. Just for fun.

Might take some time and effort, but should look nice. This is why I'm shaping the hull right now - deck must perfectly fit itm before I start with the ribs.

Edited by monkeyman

Hey Monkeyhead, a fairly cheap replacement for model supplied ropes. I use Dolfus-Mieg & Co(DMC) cordonnet special thread for all of my rigging. It's mercerized(chemically burned to remove hair) cotton which darkens if you wax them. If you wane colors, DMC brilliant tatting thread comes in many colors. These can be found on eBay (or from a store/friends stash) for fairly cheap and will eliminate the fraying. DMC come in sizes 3-100 to match up to scale on your build. Very nice barracoe, water cask, water keg, water breaker. You're right they're same yet different,

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey Monkeyhead, a fairly cheap replacement for model supplied ropes. I use Dolfus-Mieg & Co(DMC) cordonnet special thread for all of my rigging. It's mercerized(chemically burned to remove hair) cotton which darkens if you wax them. If you wane colors, DMC brilliant tatting thread comes in many colors. These can be found on eBay (or from a store/friends stash) for fairly cheap and will eliminate the fraying. DMC come in sizes 3-100 to match up to scale on your build. Very nice barracoe, water cask, water keg, water breaker. You're right they're same yet different

Thanx for the tip, pal. It appears we have DMC stuff in local stores. I'll visit one tomorrow and buy myself some threads.

Supprisingly, my other kit from China has pretty good non-hairy threads of black, brown and golden-white colors. Totaly love them comparing to standard Amati/OcCre/AL crap.

I am really late to the party here, but saw your remake of the metal life rings.  On a model of mine, I added white metal life rings from Blue Jacket.  I cut off the metal rope parts, filed them down to the 4 holding straps, then drilled a hole through the straps, then ran line all the way around.   I painted the life rings.  I ended up with a life ring with a less stiff look.    I can find a photo I will post later

Phil

Phil Roach

Former Director, Nautical Research Guild

Member Shipmodeler's Guild Southwest Florida

No problem Monkeyhead, I try to find the proper knots to do to avoid haveing to seize them. The model supplied ropes feel like nylon and don't hold a knot, whereas cotton thread with wax, you can firmly tie a knot that won't slip.

For my launch, and my previous build, I made the sails so that they can be completely unshipped. Good luck, your boat looks really awesome! I finally got to go through your build log and am very impressed.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey Monkeyman,

Have you seen this photo of a clinker-built life-boat ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey Monkeyman,

Have you seen this photo of a clinker-built life-boat ??

I've not just seen the clinker-built lifeboat puctures, I studied how they build them in real life. I'm just having some issues reproducing it on the model :-)

Don't we all have that problem?

Yeah, looks like planking is the pain in most cases. But I was foolish enough to hope to reproduce real life clinker on the model. I kinda did so, but 1:35 scale appeared to be a little... small. Anyway, I love it somehow :-)

• 5 years later...