HMS TRITON cross section by Marius-Scale 1:48

Right here begins my first scratch building POF. Seeing that I know that there are going to be a few mishaps I am using whatever wood I have lying around.

The frame I made out of a 100 year old piece of Oregon Pine floorboard and was pleasantly surprised wit the end result and the ease with which the wood worked. There are a few blemishes but that was mainly due to bad glueing procedure. Will redo .

The Keel is South African white pear and the keelson and false keel is S.African Yellowwood

.I am ready to proceed and am asking for access to the rest of the plans.

post-352-0-98537900-1362297212_thumb.jpg

HMS TRITON cross section marius

Your frame looks very nice. That's a good start.

You have a really nice collection of timber which I don't know before.I like espacially the South African Yellowwood.

I think this is also a nice color for the planking of the hull.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks for your comments Annodium

Yellow wood has played a very big role in South Africa as furniture and building wood. We do not have a large variety of fine wood and it is getting very scace. Very nice wood to work with

marius

Hi Marius and welcome to the Triton build. You are off to a really nice

start and I too like the looks of your wood.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Marius,

Go here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/52-hms-triton-28-gun-frigate/ and then go into the downloads area for the plans.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome and Good Luck to you and your building. Your frame looks nice.

Take the time and enjoy your build.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

Marius

As Rusty said "Welcome to the Triton build". I will follow your build. Have fun and as I have learned, take your time at it, don't rush.  :D

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

• 2 weeks later...

Finished all the frames

Will most probably redo a couple 
Made two mistakes

Cut to close to the line because I pride myself on my prowess with the Scroll Saw. So I left myself no leeway to correct discrepancies and thus sanded too much wood away.

Because I used a thinned down PVA glue I had some distortion when glueing the wet paper to the wood. One of the builds use a combination of masking tape and glue. Will try that next time. 

Will decide this weekend which frames I am not quite happy with and remake them during the next week and also start on the building board.

Edited by marius

Very nice frames. You must be a fast worker.This is a great site   Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Same here as 42rocker said , only one picture on the first page. 

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Yes very nice frames Marius.

Just make sure when you mount them that you line them up with a very good jig. Otherwise you might be out a bit like I was on my frames and now I have to make an adjustment to correct it. My frames were not that great because I rushed the job and was not paying attention to the future alignment of the planking and beams. But, that's another story. :)  

Ron

The moment of truth is approaching. I am ready to start assembling the section after which I will know whether fairing will be successful. Will most probably be finished after the weekend..

post-352-0-78836500-1364377756_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-62756400-1364377992_thumb.jpg

Good luck rising the frames. Take your time. We are not in a hurry. Be sure all fits ok and that the frames are exactly in the middle of the keel and all will be fine.

Hope to see more pics in a few days...

Good luck again!

Daniel.