HMB Endeavour by RGL -FINISHED - Artesania Latina

magnificent job on the rigging and blocks. totally realistic. 

What size blocks are you using? 

Can you please list so I can order. i have already purchased a range from model shipways(they are fantastic)

cheers Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had just about completed the lower masts. I completed the Futtock Shrouds and hooks with ratlines, made up my Euphroes and crows feet using some 2mm blocks, (the crowsfeet will need some wax as they're fuzzy0. I discovered that i forgot a Mizzen Stay which is painful as it will be fiddly serving it.

After I fix this, what do you normally do next? Which mast in what order?

post-253-0-11816900-1381900890_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-63465700-1381900906_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-74845600-1381900928_thumb.jpg

Greg

Just sensational Greg. i really like the way you are going about things.. Will be watching this build closely.  Regards ollie

hey Greg, I can't say enough about how good your rigging is.. fantastic

Mike

The fiddle block attached to the lower mast tops. These violin blocks are just beautiful, stropped and served with some 0.25mm black thread. I have to do the liners next. I originally had the kit supplied kit violin blocks which I filed down and opened them up to insert sheaves, but just cannot compete or could not reproduce these.

Next: It took me two days of studying the AOTS to figure out how to figure out the order and method of the next lot of shrouds and backstays. I've finally got my head around it but it's going to be a major exercise in rigging far more challenging than the shrouds on the lower masts. I spent two days with my little model shipways ropewalk making up the shroud lines in the correct thickness.

post-253-0-35384100-1382650606_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-95721600-1382650620_thumb.jpg

Greg

Slowly fitting the topmasts. I just have to glue in the mast tops and align it properly before setting it for good.

I had to include the tackle first as the shrouds will run over the top of them so they fall in a single line thus it has to be spliced. The double blocks are Chucks from Syren, drilled out a bit and filed along the sheeve lines to give a little more definition. 

shrouds next, then numerous backstays, then stays over the top, Then I'll have to worm the jeers up between them so they hang under it all.

post-253-0-63965100-1382682914_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-01256000-1382682943_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-15290100-1382682971_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-64487000-1382683015_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg,

Your rigging looks incredible

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Greg,

More excellent rigging work.

I like the framed drawing showing all the studding sails.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question for Endeavour builders. The rat lines on the Mussen mast. As it runs at a different angle to the main and fore mast, do the topsail rat lines still run parallel to the deck? It makes sense that they do but the AOTS makes them look as if they don't. It's only a few degrees but it can't be right.

Greg

Hi Greg,

That is an interesting question that has me thinking when I checked my plans.

I read recently in one of the other threads that the ratlines (of ships in general) should be parallel to the waterline and didn't think anything of it but now you mention being parallel to the decks.

I had a look in the AOTS and could only find one drawing which is to small to be definitive as it shows the whole ship on one page so still none the wiser.

I did have a look at my Caldercraft plans and even more confused;

The Mizzan and Main mast ratlines do appear to follow the slope of the rear deck i.e. sloping down from back to front...except as the ratlines climb up towards the tops they appear to level out?!?!??!

More confusion for the Fore mast as the ratlines appear to slope from front to back but again about 1/3rd of the way up they level out and even start to reverse the direction of the slope.?!?!?!  This goes against following either the waterline or deck level since the fore deck is level with the waterline. I don't think the Caldercraft plan for your question is particularly helpful.

It would appear that Caldercraft initially start the ratlines parallel with the fore and quarter deck gunwales and then got bored drawing all the lines and started making stuff up.

Getting back to your question I don't think the slope of the mast comes into it.  The ratlines are either parallel to the water line or parallel with the deck (or gunwale as endeavours gunwale climbs higher than the deck further back it goes.

Sorry can't really add much more and now have a dilemma when I get to that satge.

Cheers

Slog 

Hi Greg

I reckon they should be level, ie parallel to the waterline, makes sense because they are ladders. Here is a photo of the replica and they look level on her. I did my AL Endeavour with them level. Just chalk it up as another one in the long list of mistakes/errors in the AOTS.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-68914400-1384067665_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-67349000-1384067721_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Greg/Steve,

I found another photo of the replica which although of the main mast shows the ratlines parallel with the waterline.

I agree with Steve and will do my ratlines when I eventually get to them level with the waterline.

Cheers

Slog

Topmast ratlines and futtock staves and catharpins.It's getting to the really fiddly stage up high. I'm terrified I'm going to break something. I've done the ratlines (which will thankfully be the second last lot until the Topgallants) and the futtock staves and 15mm catharpins. It looks clumsy (it is) but I have to use a beige line then stain it as i just can't see the bloody lines to control it otherwise. the stave itself is just plastic rod which as you can see runs long for ease of control. There was some torsion from the fall of the stays which was corrected by the catharpins and will be lost when the Topgallant shrouds are attached. It will look very busy.

This is a very painful process and I am looking forward to adding the breast backstay, Topsail yard tye tackle and backstays.

I forgot to ask, does anyone else use toenail clippers as flush cutters for their rigging lines?  works better than any other took I have found.

post-253-0-50712000-1384580724_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-59668600-1384580778_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-69614500-1384580813_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-51446900-1384580845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

As the other Endeavour club members are getting on with it, i thought that i'd try and keep trundling on with the Topmasts. The backstays now completed, just on to the stays and their mice next. I'd just like to say I'm crap at photography of small stuff - but at least it hides the fluffy lines. iPhones are not the best if cameras but very easy.

post-253-0-15329400-1385960814_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-10279400-1385960830_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-37064800-1385960846_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-57698900-1385960864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Very nice work on your rigging Greg, she is coming along really nicely.  I am due an update (you have shamed me into it :) ) as I have stepped the lower masts and made a start on the rigging.

Did you do your crows-feet while the mast was off or when stepped?  Iam trying to decide which is easier :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat, I did the crows feet as the very last part of the lower mast assembly after stepping to keep the tension on them correct off the stays and to save snagging them on everything whilst doing the final rigging. I had to keep dry fitting the top masts to ensue alignment was correct.

Greg

Fore topmast stays. I've used the Clasic Models violin blocks. I cheated somewhat doing the mice by using a parrel bead served over to make the smaller bulge required. I really had to guess the belaying point as I can't find reference to one anywhere. 

post-253-0-27492300-1386201084_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-97150500-1386201160_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-12371100-1386201184_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-29075300-1386201199_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg,

Your rigging looks incredible.

very neat.

Cheers

Slog