HMB Endeavour by RGL -FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Robin, nothing in Parkin, and I read your thread from last year, but a quick Dr Google search has an excellent NSW Maritime PDF document of anchors that may make a good cross reference and another excerpt from the oriental navigator stating "a small or coasting anchor". This I reckon it's a technique using two anchors, not an particular anchor. It would make sense given the complement of anchors was laid out prior to the voyage, as to which one, I have no idea. Happy to be corrected.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Robin, I would not be surprised that, as Greg has indicated, it is a technique rather than a type of anchor - specifically, I would also not be surprised that he did not have a kedge anchor ready to 'let-go' from the quarterdeck/aft to assist with hauling the ship off a sandbar or the like when exploring uncharted waters.  This would have been prepped ready to drop very quickly at the first inkling of the ship potentially grounding.  It could also be just a smaller anchor prepped to 'let go' from the standard (forward) positions while in costal waters (not requiring as much time/effort to let-go?)?

Cook also used the term stream-anchor quite separate from coasting anchor, which to my mind indicates a different purpose for the coasting-anchor.  For example:

"On the 4th of December, they stood into the Typa, and moored with the stream-anchor and cable to the westward."

Narrative of the Voyages Round The World, Performed by Captain James Cook

That said however the following indicates it would have also been prudent to have a stream anchor ready to use at short notice should a sudden storm or other conditions require temporary anchorage with little warning during coastal navigation/surveying:

Stream cable, a hawser or rope, smaller than the bower cables, to moor a ship in a place sheltered from wind and heavy seas.

I have not been able to locate anything definitive.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I'm doing this from my phone and will add the links when I get to my computer. The kids are off to school soon so I have a chance.as to the outside photos, I'm a nervous wreck taking her outside for fear of dropping her, but natural light is so much better.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Pg 55 of Parkin makes specific reference to Coasting anchors as being kedge or stream anchors, which are included in the Endeavors fit out. It also references coastal colliers which Endeavor was using them on the coast.

Thus it would make sense when used on the Barrier Reef here in Oz. Every wooden ship in the AOTS series seems to carry a stream anchor, but none have a coastal anchor, so it would be the technique of using the stream (7.5CW) or Kedge (3.5CW) as a coastal anchor given it was so light, used on conjunction, perhaps, with a Sheet or Bower anchor, to pivot on the large and steer on the small

Seamanship in The age of sail makes reference to small bower anchors used in streams, and given the makeup of our north east Coast and Tongan waters, (which I have been fortunate enough to visit) are full of reefs, it makes perfect sense to use them in light winds to move around safely as possible.

Marquardt (pg16) refers to "Costing anchors", and given his spelling in Cook's journal is atrocious by today's standards, could mean Coasting. The anchor recovered in the 1970's off Cooktown is a bower anchor (17CW) and the stream anchor was recovered at the cost of it's cable. Given they were stuck, it makes sense to use two or more anchors. 

That's about all I've got.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Looks fantastic Gregg, what a comeback after the cat incident

Congratulations! She is looking great. In inspiration for me to tackle my Connie now.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

A true treasure you have. It looks amazing. I bet a few drinks is in order when that last rope is added on.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I have to remind myself it's never a good idea to drink and then think it's a good idea to work her. 4 yards to go, so I'm going to photograph it step by step in case my computer crashes. The jeer blocks rigging is doing my head in as I'll have to splice the rope at the top as its too hard to serve the blocks properly when the rope is attached to the mast. The rest is easy.

Greg

Next is the jeers and jeer blocks. Given in the real world they are one continuous rope, i cheated so the Blocks could be stropped properly, joining them at the mast so they sit equally. I have outlined in red where they sit with bare poles and when up with sails. The single block sits on the channels.

post-253-0-27085900-1412146874_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-21984100-1412146935_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-17630400-1412147023_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-81075900-1412147056_thumb.jpg

Greg

Next is the buntlines. Only two but they have an interesting angle. The next step will be the clue lines then the sheets which will allow me to brace the yard and do the lifts before I can start belaying all these lines which will keep then taught without actually lifting the yard upwards.

post-253-0-74138200-1412147295_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-15190300-1412147329_thumb.jpg

Greg

She is looking superb Greg.  No fear mate, I won't ever catch up with you - how else would I know what to do with my rigging - lead on with your fine artistry good sir!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Clue lines and sheets on the stay sail yards. I served the end of the sheets to make it easier to make the ball at the end (a simple knot) that goes through the loop on the served block. I've done the colouring in to show the run of the lines. Now these are belayed it is easier to belay the bunt lines and lifts to keep them taught without actually lifting the yards.

post-253-0-72507300-1412230829_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-11569500-1412231001_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-72040000-1412231048_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-87956500-1412231083_thumb.jpg

Greg

The lifts and Reef tackle pendant. The lifts are attached to a loop at the mast and attached with a toggle which is abut a 3mm piece or wood with a groove in the middle. The Pendants go through the sheeve in the yard, and held by a few loops around and left to fall through with a knot. I have finally attached all the railings on the tops as the pendants are apparently belayed to the tops. Only the braces to go, so a few more blocks to go on the stays yet.

post-253-0-51115400-1412231884_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-79895200-1412231915_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-30979900-1412231947_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-17101500-1412231991_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-25248000-1412232018_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-73668900-1412232044_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-31955000-1412232071_thumb.jpg

Greg

You defiantly got this one in the bag! Looking real great! And fiddlely.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

You have done an incredible job. She is looking awesome.

I will be using  your pics as a guide when I start my rigging

Thankyou again. The spirit sail yards are now complete with the addition of the braces. I snuck my phone under the rigging to get a few forward shots. 6 blocks, 4 toggles and two yards to go,and I've added a really confusing picture with lines all over it to show how the lines runs on this yard alone.

post-253-0-39124800-1412325668_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-62471200-1412325805_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-82270500-1412325848_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-53150200-1412325870_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-25109400-1412325916_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-73177100-1412326398_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg