Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

John, Capnharv, Omega, Matija, Carl, Piet, Elia, Kevin, Tom, Thanks to all of you for your fine comments on the vinyl.  I was also amazed that it looks so real.  I wish I could take all the credit but it was suggested by a local plastic aircraft modeler.  I don’t know if he ever tried it but I’m sure glad for the suggestion.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob a clever solution for sure.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

the best solutions seem to come from sitting back with a beverage,  to ponder.  ;)   I'm sure you've thought of something to do with the cork :).......that is,  unless it's plastic  :D   I used to follow car modelers quite a bit.......they have some cool methods for seat coverings.

great progress Bob!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just jumped on this log. I was thinking in the exact same direction as your modular construction of the interior, so it's great to see it in practice, and work successfully in your small scale!

I would've loved to see how you were going to do the removable deck/cabin, since that is also where I was headed, but I do really like the partially skeletonized look of some of the builds I've seen, like Patrick's miniatures (at one size extreme) and EdT's Young America (at the other!) I enjoy how it shows off the structure - especially in the larger scales where you can really see the details of how all the pieces go together.

Looking forward to following the rest of the build.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Gerty, Michael, Popeye, and all that I thanked above.  All of you have my permission (as though I needed to give it) to use this any time you need vinyl.    :P  :P  What did he say?

Now we leave the cabin and move to the cockpit.  I didn’t get much done but it now has a deck and next will be the benches.  One thing at a time.

Bob

post-513-0-45493100-1423514385_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

looking sweet Bob.....no matter how large the update.......it's always good to see progress :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks, Popeye, I’ll try to enter more small updates.

Patrick, most friendships I see pictures of have white hulls, so mine will probably be white, but I really have not thought about it.

Bob

Moving right along, the benches are mounted.  I used .010” card stock to space the.030” bench slats. (.5” space between 1.5” slats) I also carved and put in place the tiller.  Now with just a little more work at the companion way I’ll be ready for the deck.  The way I normally build I would have the deck on already and would be trying to put in the details through small openings.  I like this method for the ability to do more with the interior details, on the other hand it feels like it’s slower because the deck is not on yet. 

Bob

post-513-0-88693700-1423774397_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-87889900-1423774408_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-72955600-1423774421_thumb.jpg

Beautiful, just beautiful Bob.  So neat and clean.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

super Fitting out Bob,

it must be fun to fit in one progress sequence after another in this lovely scratch build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Matija, Patrick, Piet, Carl, Nils, and all who clicked “like”, thank you all for stopping by and the encouraging words.

Nils said, “It must be fun to fit in one progress sequence after another in this lovely scratch build”.  I usually get ahead of myself and add things before I should and then have to remove it or work around it,  This time I’m trying to slow down and think things through before I build, and yes, I am enjoying it more.

Patrick said, “I look forward to the next installment.”  So do I.  I rarely know where my thinking will lead me.

Bob

beautiful workmanship on the interior Bob, I can almost see the the deck even though it is not there.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael, Druxey, thank you very much.

Bob

nice work with fitting out the benches........you've made some really fine progress!  are you going to do a full deck or a cut-a-way?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Bob,

I really like the detail of the one dark slat toward the front edge of all three benches. That's a very nice touch. And I can't get over that vinyl! It looks like your legs would stick to it on a hot muggy day.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Gerty, Mike, Popeye, Steve, Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind words.  Part of the deck, or maybe . . ?  Something will be open, I’m just not sure what yet,  “that vinyl! It looks like your legs would stick to it on a hot muggy day.”  Oooh, I didn’t think of that or I would have used cloth.

Bob

Bob it ain't a multi milion dollar Yacht! A bit of sticky vinil can be expected ... Plastic crockery, glasses, cutlery, and whatever else comes to hand. However, she still looks like a jewel amongst her kind!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 3 weeks later...

Carl, thanks for telling me it’s OK to have vinyl, it is easier to take care of than cloth.

Lawrence, thanks for the good words and encouragement.

If you recall, back on page three I had started to add the deck framing around the cockpit area.  Then I decided to make the cockpit a separate part like I did the cabin interior.  So the deck framing had to come off.  Then after the cabin and cockpit were “done” I again added the deck frames.(sorry no pictures) and started to lay the deck when I saw more things I wanted to do inside but I couldn’t work through the deck framing and it had to come off again.  That's when I took the idea from Patrick (Omega1234) and made the deck a separate part.  Thanks to Patrick I can make changes to the insides when I like.  But now I don’t like the deck.  It’s the calking.  It would be alright for a larger work boat but for a nice pleasure boat I feel the calking needs to be crisper and more definite.  So that’s where I am right now.  Another deck to make.  Hopefully the last for this boat.

Bob

post-513-0-24087600-1425578504_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-91530000-1425578515_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-84034400-1425578528_thumb.jpg

well done Bob,

it Looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50