Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

I came upon your log a little fantastic work and I agree with the others on your nice looking deck.  I used paper once and did not like the clean up. So I ran some wood through a thickness sander and then painted one side a charcoal gray.  When cut my planking the color on the edge became the caulking and when I finished scraping the deck the caulking was neat and crisp also subdued as well.  Did you experiment with this method as well?

David B

Lawrence thanks for looking in.  The longer I live with the deck the better I like it.

So here’s where I am now.  I made a new cabin/cockpit wall.  To make the windows holes sharp they were trimmed with brass.  The walls were then painted and mounted in the deck.  The lower edge of the cabin wall was trimmed with mahogany and a piece was placed around the top to attach the cabin roof frames.  There is also a piece of mahogany trim on the top edge of the cockpit wall.  Now it’s about time to glue the deck to the hull.

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_1239.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1241.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1242.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1250.JPG

Hi Bob,

those oval window frames, made from round brass tube look great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I like the windows as well.......pretty neat how you did that......!    she's looking really sweet now with the deck in place......coaming and all!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Cog, Omega1234, Gerty, Elia, Michael, Anton, David, Nils, Kees, Popeye and all the “likes”.  Thanks for looking in and all the kind words.

David your idea of painting instead of using paper sounds interesting I’ll have to try that some time.  Never too old to learn.  Not even me.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Beautiful work Cap'n'Bob, She's looking really good, I would like to get in on a sail

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Pete, if it ever goes into the water you'll be the first to know.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Just spent some time going over your log Bob. She's a fine looking craft and I like how well your deck turned out and the nice touch with the brass rings around the windows. Very clean look.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George.  She's a fun build.  I've had to use, "my little gray cells" quite a bit on this one.

Bob

I didn’t get much done this time. We had company from back east trying to get out of the snow and cold.

I added the framing for the cabin roof and a little more trim and a little more paint.  Now I’m calling the hull done.  Yes I know there is that spot on the stack that needs to be touched up but that isn’t that much. Next will be the mast, spars, rigging and sails,

Bob

post-513-0-47164800-1427997042_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-53229500-1427997055_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-32979800-1427997071_thumb.jpg

Nice, will you be putting some roof on the cabin?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Well, not to sound like a parrot or something, but the interior is a nice view, and I too, like Michael, wonder if some of the cabin's details will be left open for viewing. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Patrick Thanks but it’s not nearly as small detailed as your lovely Rainbow.

Ah yes Igor, I wish it were 48 times larger and that I lived on the coast.  I think it would be fun to sail her.

Thanks Carl as I built it I thought ‘what would I want if I were cruising her’.  I’m reminded of reading about an old sailor that was getting a small sail boat ready for cruising and had the motor up on deck.  A man on the dock watching as he kicked it over the side said, “What did you do that for?”  The owner said, “I don’t understand motors, ant there’s a head down below that’s going the same place”.

Michael I do not plan on a cabin roof, I want to leave it open so the cabin is visible.  If I do put a roof on it I will make if removable.

Thanks for the nice words, George.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Hi Bob.

Many thanks for the compliment! Interesting dilemma about the roof/no roof, however. Have you considered partially planking the roof, or just leaving the roof beams with no planks, thereby leaving the interior completely viewable?

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Tremendous model Bob.  Absolutely great.  I like the way you did the planking and the work you did to it.  Congratulations on a job well done.

David B

Beautiful work Bob.  I think that with the simple rigging on these sloops that a clip on roof is quite doable without any risk.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I had to look back to see when you did the bottom paint.......really makes the hull look sweet!   then there's the dilemma that a lot of folks do........they add a cool bit of detail below deck....and then plank over it.   the ideology is  "they know it's there".........never bought into that myself.   not that I think it's a bad thing, by any stretch,  but I tend to look at detail as "all things visible".   how ever you do it Bob........it will look super!   she's a sweet looking build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Bob,

your Sloop Looks beautiful, I love that Little boat....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and likes.  I have to admit I agree with Popeye, if I’m going to build it into the boat, I want others to see it. On all my boats so far if I added something below decks I’ve left openings to see it.  Or conversely, if you can’t see below decks, there’s nothing worth seeing.  So at most I might put an edge of the roof all the way around.  We’ll see. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out you lost another year!!! Got younger again Cap'n' ... ;) Have a wounderful day with your wife and family!!! I'll take a tot on your health ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Bob , A happy Birthday I did not realize how young you still are B)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.