Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

<Looks at clock>Good.. ,I didn't miss it.  Happy Birthday, Bob!!!!   post-76-0-49134600-1429333364.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

now.......aren't you glad I sent mine to you in a PM?!?!    :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes. 

They say you are only as old as you feel. 

In that case I'm still in my sixties,

I just can't do as much.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Happy Birthday Bob, the Friendship sloop is looking good 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I'm sorry for not having more entries in this log but I've been in one of those slumps when nothing goes right.  You know the type, where you say I do this and then this and then this, and then you do number three first and have to tare it out to do one and two.  then to build part one you got out the material and tools and half way through the part breaks and you have to start over, and over, and over, . . .  I know this will pass and all will be well once again, but not yet.  'til then I will be around reading other entries and making comments. 

Good building to all.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob

Been there......doing it .... not done yet.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bob, my condolences, 

I know just what you mean.  At times it just seems it takes me forever to get by a roadblock like that.  Sometimes we just have to sit back, and get our "I can do this" face on straight, and slow down and think our way through it as we go.  Once you can get by that roadblock, try to retain that mindset!!!!I wish you all the best.  BTW the Admiral's foot was just declared healed by her doctor this past Thursday.  Amen! and AMEN!!

Walt

Edited by Walter Biles

Hi Bob

I've been wondering about you and your Frienship sloop, because of the gap since your last post. Like everyone's saying, the slump will pass and you'll come out feeling more energised and refreshed....a bit like the Energiser Bunny (I'm assuming you have that advert in America?).

I hit the wall half way through building my HMS Victory. It took some serious effort to work on it night after night. Sometimes, I couldn't even touch it. Instead, I'd just sit and stare at the hull for a whole night and then pack it up and do the same thing the next night. It was a real @&$*¥€#, but it passed eventually. Yours will too!

All the best and I look forward to seeing your next post when you're up to it.

Cheers

Patrick

it not about speed Bob........ take it from me.......I'm a recovering slump-a-holic  :D    I didn't do much the whole summer last year!   I'm sure that one day your going to think of something..........it's going to light those rockets of yours..........and look out!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi All,

I wish I knew what broke me out of the slump I was in.  Then I would know what to do next time.  Anyway the mast hoops were one of the things giving me trouble.  I tried making them out of wood and then plastic, I was not happy with either.  I finally came up with the Idea that a manila folder would be the same color as wood.  I rolled a piece around a dowel with lots of glue, put it in the lathe and tore it to shreds.  Finally I cut thin strips of the card stock, tapered one end and wrapped them around the dowel covered with plastic wrap, a spot of CA at the start and a spot of CA at the end.  After all were wrapped I saturated them with CA to make them hard.  After a little clean-up I slipped them onto the mast.  Now maybe I can get on with the sail and rigging.

Bob

post-513-0-50415300-1432313456_thumb.jpg

Strips cut 0.030” for a 1.5” thick ring.

post-513-0-91227000-1432313472_thumb.jpg

Tapering the ends.

post-513-0-78753100-1432313492_thumb.jpg

Strips wrapped around dowel.

post-513-0-72095700-1432313504_thumb.jpg

Finished rings

post-513-0-39533400-1432313518_thumb.jpg

Rings on mast.

Nice work Bob. If you ever get in the slumps again - which I do not hope - it will certainly be something different what will get you out ... never the same thing twice ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Your mast hoops came out great.  And I am gld you are past your slump.  I am going through that nasty problem now.

David B

I told ya........to think...those little rings got you going....hmmmmm!   took a whole boat to move me  :D  :D  :D   nice work my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice to hear the slump is over.  Carl is right... it'll be something else that moves you the next time.  Lovely hoops.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Cap'n'Bob , Nice to see you back at it those rings are looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks to all.  It's nice to be back even if it's only 10-30 min. a day.

Bob

Hi Cap'n'Bob , The amount of time is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is that you are having fun.

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks Pete, and it is fun.

Bob

Hi Bob great to see that you are dipping the oars again.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

It feels good to be building again but I see I’m back in my old habits.  I build and forget to take pictures until I finish, so no one sees what I do.   If anyone is interested in how I do a part or process please ask.  Anyway this is where I am for now.

Bob

post-513-0-99408500-1433276175_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-76183900-1433276192_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-04227800-1433276207_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-46333400-1433276219_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-62471000-1433276232_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-67186900-1433276246_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob

Wow!!! She's a beauty! I love how beautifully you've executed the rigging and all the brass fittings in the mast and spar. That's something for me to definitely aspire to with my models, that's for sure.

The exposed cabin roof is fantastic....after all, why cover up all the great work and effort that you put into the internal furnishings of the cabin.

You gotta be pretty pleased with yourself.

Cheers

Patrick