Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

Hi Bob

Many thanks for the compliment about my deck. That's the beauty of this Forum....the amount of ideas that we get from each other is amazing. For instance, I learnt heaps from your Lettie Howard when it came to rigging my Ingomar schooner, so the fact that I could help you in some small way, is my pleasure.

Having said that, I couldn't find fault in your deck or its caulking lines; but I admire your commitment to making it 'just right'. No doubt the next version will be even better.

Many thanks, once again.

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Bob,

It is magnificent!

I am not sure, but it seems to me that at such design of the deck usually there is the board along the axial line of the deck.

post-17539-0-52689000-1425622620_thumb.jpg

What kind of tree you use for the deck? I like to use a light pear because it rather solid and it is possible to make accurate edges of planks. Also it allows to make seams between the planks very thin and accurate. What width of the planks which you use for the deck?

Best Regards!

Igor.

Thank you all for your fine comments and likes.  On the deck, it is not the planking that is the problem it is the calking.  As I said the deck, as is, would be fine on a work boat where the deck gets scuffed and scrubbed, but this is a pleasure boat and I will change the deck to look more like the Dragon Class I built in MSW I.   The planks are .03 inches or 1.5 inches full size.  I am not sure yet if I will use a king plank.  Most of the pictures on the web are of fiber glass and do not have planked decks.  So it’s back to, if I were building full size for my pleasure, how would I build it?  I’ll have to wait with you to find out.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Here’s the new deck. As it turned out I did add a king plank.

post-513-0-25632800-1425857081_thumb.jpg

First I glued black paper to a .03” thick sheet of bass wood

post-513-0-17025400-1425857092_thumb.jpg

I then sliced it into .03” strips

post-513-0-89836900-1425857103_thumb.jpg

I then made the deck frame

post-513-0-72480300-1425857113_thumb.jpg

I planked it while the frame was on the boat

post-513-0-69763800-1425857124_thumb.jpg

More to come but the deck planking is done.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

That deck is just spectacular, Bob. Very classy. It fits with a pleasure craft nicely.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

A beautiful rework of the deck Bob.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bob,

What's left to write ... Very smart turn out, and clever deck method. She looks real good.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Here’s the new deck. As it turned out I did add a king plank.

attachicon.gifIMG_1215.JPG

First I glued black paper to a .03” thick sheet of bass wood

attachicon.gifIMG_1217.JPG

I then sliced it into .03” strips

attachicon.gifIMG_1218.JPG

I then made the deck frame

attachicon.gifIMG_1221.JPG

I planked it while the frame was on the boat

attachicon.gifIMG_1222.JPG

More to come but the deck planking is done.

Bob

A real little beauty Bob,

interior, floor planking and new deck look great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Steve, Gerty, Patrick, Michael, John, Carl, Nils, and the many likes, thank you so much.  If any of you use the calking method, I should have used CA to glue the paper, and saturated it.  The paper got quite fuzzy when I was cleaning it up.  But all in all I am happy with the results.  Thanks again.

Bob

Hi Bob,

probably it must be so that the deck run twice ;) , but progress is visible.

It is now a wonderful boat. Well done.

Matija

#2 deck looks great!  the King plank is a nice touch  ;)   I've done something similar,  using thin strip mahogany.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Steve, Gerty, Patrick, Michael, John, Carl, Nils, and the many likes, thank you so much. If any of you use the calking method, I should have used CA to glue the paper, and saturated it. The paper got quite fuzzy when I was cleaning it up. But all in all I am happy with the results. Thanks again.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for that comment about the fuzziness of the caulking because I was wondering the exact same thing. Nonetheless, it looks like it worked out really well.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Steve, Gerty, Patrick, Michael, John, Carl, Nils, and the many likes, thank you so much.  If any of you use the calking method, I should have used CA to glue the paper, and saturated it.  The paper got quite fuzzy when I was cleaning it up.  But all in all I am happy with the results.  Thanks again.

Bob

What do you mean by cleaning up Bob?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

If any of you use the calking method, I should have used CA to glue the paper, and saturated it.  The paper got quite fuzzy when I was cleaning it up.  But all in all I am happy with the results.

Hi Bob,

Yes, I think you have reached excellent result.

I tried different methods of imitation of seams between the planks of deck, such as use of threads or paper, coloring of butts of planks, filling of seams with any hard putty.I think, each method has the advantages and shortcomings depending on scale and a species of a tree of which the planks are made.

Often I used a metal plate with a sharp edge instead of an emery paper for cleaning of a surface of the deck. It allowed me to receive purer surface and accurate lines of seams.

Best Regards!

Igor.

I think Igor has a good point. Scraping the deck instead of sanding might give the paper caulking a cleaner edge.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Yes, Steve, sometimes scraping works better than sanding.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Yep-I definitely agree with Igor, except that I would go one step further by adding that it's been my experience that the 'scraping blade' always results in a better finish.  For instance, I often find that scraping just brings out the grains better than sandpaper, resulting in a far superior finish off less work.  Worth the effort.  But, as always, what works for one modeller may not necessarily work for another, so, it's a decision best left to the individual to decide which method works best.

Edited by Omega1234

Hi all, The deck was scraped not sanded but still the paper fibers gave me trouble.  That's why I said that gluing the paper and saturating it with CA would have made a harder material to scrape then gluing it with white glue.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Lawrence thanks for looking in.  The longer I live with the deck the better I like it.

So here’s where I am now.  I made a new cabin/cockpit wall.  To make the windows holes sharp they were trimmed with brass.  The walls were then painted and mounted in the deck.  The lower edge of the cabin wall was trimmed with mahogany and a piece was placed around the top to attach the cabin roof frames.  There is also a piece of mahogany trim on the top edge of the cockpit wall.  Now it’s about time to glue the deck to the hull.

Bob

post-513-0-38075000-1427234425_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-08198800-1427234438_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-75747500-1427234447_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-07203600-1427234458_thumb.jpg

Bob that is looking really sharp, i like the mahogany trim it sets the cabin off well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Gorgeous little boat bob. Really well done

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed