captainbob

Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

I came upon your log a little fantastic work and I agree with the others on your nice looking deck.  I used paper once and did not like the clean up. So I ran some wood through a thickness sander and then painted one side a charcoal gray.  When cut my planking the color on the edge became the caulking and when I finished scraping the deck the caulking was neat and crisp also subdued as well.  Did you experiment with this method as well?

David B

Lawrence thanks for looking in.  The longer I live with the deck the better I like it.

So here’s where I am now.  I made a new cabin/cockpit wall.  To make the windows holes sharp they were trimmed with brass.  The walls were then painted and mounted in the deck.  The lower edge of the cabin wall was trimmed with mahogany and a piece was placed around the top to attach the cabin roof frames.  There is also a piece of mahogany trim on the top edge of the cockpit wall.  Now it’s about time to glue the deck to the hull.

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_1239.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1241.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1242.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1250.JPG

Hi Bob,

those oval window frames, made from round brass tube look great

Nils

Cog, Omega1234, Gerty, Elia, Michael, Anton, David, Nils, Kees, Popeye and all the “likes”.  Thanks for looking in and all the kind words.

David your idea of painting instead of using paper sounds interesting I’ll have to try that some time.  Never too old to learn.  Not even me.

Bob

Just spent some time going over your log Bob. She's a fine looking craft and I like how well your deck turned out and the nice touch with the brass rings around the windows. Very clean look.

Cheers

I didn’t get much done this time. We had company from back east trying to get out of the snow and cold.

I added the framing for the cabin roof and a little more trim and a little more paint.  Now I’m calling the hull done.  Yes I know there is that spot on the stack that needs to be touched up but that isn’t that much. Next will be the mast, spars, rigging and sails,

Bob

post-513-0-47164800-1427997042_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-53229500-1427997055_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-32979800-1427997071_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob

Beautiful work!  Just seeing the interior is enough to get my imagination all worked up.  If I was small enough to fit inside, I'd be able to marvel even more at the beauty of what you've done.

Well done.

Cheers

Patrick

Well, not to sound like a parrot or something, but the interior is a nice view, and I too, like Michael, wonder if some of the cabin's details will be left open for viewing. 

Patrick Thanks but it’s not nearly as small detailed as your lovely Rainbow.

Ah yes Igor, I wish it were 48 times larger and that I lived on the coast.  I think it would be fun to sail her.

Thanks Carl as I built it I thought ‘what would I want if I were cruising her’.  I’m reminded of reading about an old sailor that was getting a small sail boat ready for cruising and had the motor up on deck.  A man on the dock watching as he kicked it over the side said, “What did you do that for?”  The owner said, “I don’t understand motors, ant there’s a head down below that’s going the same place”.

Michael I do not plan on a cabin roof, I want to leave it open so the cabin is visible.  If I do put a roof on it I will make if removable.

Thanks for the nice words, George.

Bob

I think I'd go for the no roof option, Bob - too much risk of damaging something reaching in amongst the rigging to take the roof off.

John

Hi Bob.

Many thanks for the compliment! Interesting dilemma about the roof/no roof, however. Have you considered partially planking the roof, or just leaving the roof beams with no planks, thereby leaving the interior completely viewable?

Cheers

Patrick

Tremendous model Bob.  Absolutely great.  I like the way you did the planking and the work you did to it.  Congratulations on a job well done.

David B

Beautiful work Bob.  I think that with the simple rigging on these sloops that a clip on roof is quite doable without any risk.

Cheers,

I had to look back to see when you did the bottom paint.......really makes the hull look sweet!   then there's the dilemma that a lot of folks do........they add a cool bit of detail below deck....and then plank over it.   the ideology is  "they know it's there".........never bought into that myself.   not that I think it's a bad thing, by any stretch,  but I tend to look at detail as "all things visible".   how ever you do it Bob........it will look super!   she's a sweet looking build  ;)

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and likes.  I have to admit I agree with Popeye, if I’m going to build it into the boat, I want others to see it. On all my boats so far if I added something below decks I’ve left openings to see it.  Or conversely, if you can’t see below decks, there’s nothing worth seeing.  So at most I might put an edge of the roof all the way around.  We’ll see. 

Bob

I just found out you lost another year!!! Got younger again Cap'n' ... ;) Have a wounderful day with your wife and family!!! I'll take a tot on your health ;)