Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

Hello Bob, I concur with everyone else , Glad to see you back at it and she's looking Good

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Bob

Wow! Your build will become a real little treasure! The last pictures series shows us the great and overall concept of the small sloop - well done Bob! ...

... also, Captain Slocum would had his pleasure on it!  ;) 

best Regards

Mike

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

Good to see you back at it Bob, you got your Mo-Jo back.

That is a super little sloop mate, the exposed cabin is so different, will you be putting a lift off lid on her or are you going to leave the cabin open.

Whichever you choose she looks great.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Bob,

in your last post with pics the Sloop Looks great. also the metal work on it.  Are you going to fit sails as well ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Wow thank you all for your good words and warm comments.  It's nice to be building again and be in the company of so many friends that appreciate what I am doing,  I've decided to leave the cabin as is with just the roof framing.  I still need to add running lights and sails.  I've seen so many good looking sails on this forum lately, I hope I can remember some of the fine ideas on how to make them. I'll just have to get out the needle and thread and see if my fingers still have any magic left. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

looking great with the open cabin framing Bob,

there is so much Detail inside, that you just could`nt  hide it for the Viewer,... good so..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Carl thanks for the encouragement and telling me my fingers still have magic.  Gerty, Lawrence and Nils thanks for the good words.  And to all my other friends, thanks.

When I mentioned the magic in my fingers, it was to say, I wish I had been building boats in my forties.  My Eye hand coordination was so much better then.  Let me show you.  Back then I was doing pysanky, a type of decorated Easter egg usually done by women in eastern Europe.  The eggs in the first picture were done about 1980 the second set were done in 2011. 

So I say, “What boats I could have made”. 

Sorry for venting, hopefully this will get rid of the, “Woe is me’s”.

Bob 

post-513-0-52012300-1433958854_thumb.jpg   post-513-0-24382800-1433958873_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob,

That first set is increadible, the second ... I wouldn't be able to do that either ... I have to admit that the finess and sharpness does diminish when age increases ... however, isn't it the joy and pleasure we find in building models which are the motivation to do so. To strive to do as best we can... I've seen my father drawing all his life, even in his last lucid moments, untill his death last Sunday morning ... he continued drawing because he loved to do it, even if that sharpness faded ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you Carl.  So sorry to hear about you father.  My prayers are with you and your family.

Bob

Hi Bob

Love those eggs! Apart from what Carl said above, there is no doubting the talent and skill that you've shown with your models. I still look at your rigging and all the metalwork fixtures on your masts and hulls and shake my head in the knowledge that I'm nowhere even close to meeting your standard. So, yep, without a doubt, your models are a cut above the rest as far as I'm concerned!

Hi Carl- I've sent you a PM.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Bob,

You haven't lost  your touch at all from what I can see.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Patrick, Carl, Mark thanks for the encouraging words.  I'll try to improve my spirits.

Bob

forget 'bout it...........and play!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi All,

OK.  So I played, had fun and finished this little boat. There's not much to say about what was done to finish.  The sails were made and installed with the running rigging.  In the last picture of the cockpit, notice the cam cleats.

Now on to other boats.

Bob

post-513-0-29171400-1434230061_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-10020500-1434230075_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-43312100-1434230091_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-56179100-1434230106_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-18897400-1434230142_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-95153800-1434230154_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-29286000-1434230170_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Makes me want a day on the water.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

she looks superb Bob!  I did notice the cleats......were they tough to make at this scale?   sails look very nice....super job on rigging her too!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

George, Ben, Omega1234, druxey, Mark, Mike, Popeye, Eamonn, thanks for the good words and complements, and thanks to all those who clicked the “LIKE” button. Your support these last few weeks was very helpful.  That’s what makes MSW so great.

Popeye the cam cleats were easy once I saw pictures on the web.  The hardest part was finding the black plastic to make them from.  Oh, by the way, they don’t work.  They’re a block of plastic with a slot half way through.

As for the next build I haven’t decided yet but when I start the next build I will put a link at the end of this log.

Bob

Congratulations on a Beautiful Boat Bob, She turned out to be quite a looker ,  when do the sea trials start

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/