Wasa by clipper - Billing Boats - rescue attempt

Its a new year and its time I cracked this build log thingy, so before I start typing the history of this model I want to make sure I can get the pictures uploaded. Well thanks to my son I've been able to get some pictures on the log. The model had been kicking around an outhouse for about 25 years. Some of the fittings were lost but the overall condition leaves a lot of work to be done to restore / replace it to a suitable condition from where I can progress. I think it will be a total strip down because I have no idea what inhabitants have moved in and the last thing I want is to see is a finished model succumbing to parasites. I have followed many of the different builds on this site and I am proud to be a member of it. I felt it was time to contribute my meagre effort and I hope that this log may be of some help to those who feel that a model is not worth completing

post-357-0-81000100-1420032007_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-67156400-1420037394_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-03780600-1420037745_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-49929300-1420039066_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-55986200-1420039080_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-55199700-1420039088_thumb.jpg

Edited by clipper

Clipper,

Good luck !!  You will symbolically be following in the footsteps of the original's resurrection (:-) Given that the hull planking is the first set is an Ace in the hole starting point. Hopefully all of the plastic parts are still around.

PS: You may want to build it keeping the very aged look?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael,

some of the plastic parts are missing and the transom has been badly distorted by the use of too much plastic cement that the previous owner had used to glue the transom on with. The planking was not done well and in parts has used filler to smooth out the planks. This is a single planked model so the planking will be coming off. I was fortunate to obtain a wooden kit motor launch (Billings)with the planks still unused from a charity shop. Using these, and the remainder of the planks from the original kit I hope to have enough to complete the hull. Thanks for your comments

Tony

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments. There's a lot of rectification work to be done such as repairing the prow, removing the horrible gold paint on the fittings and remaking from scratch the plywood bulwarks port and starboard that have been varnished with what looks like toffee apple syrup

Tony

Hi Pavel , yes it probably would but I would still need the old parts to copy.

I would like to reuse as much of the original model as I can so I will clean up and repair what I can and completely replace what I can't. There are several carvings that will need to be replaced because they have been lost over the years and that will be my first foray into carving.

Just a quick update: I have now removed the poop deck and the decorative transom parts. Pictures with my next post.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...