HMS Surprise by captain71 - Mamoli - Scale 1:75 - British Frigate

First sailing vessel and first Build log. I started my ship on December 27. and have been taking pictures that I've yet to post. I have built boats before (real and model) but have never done rigging .  I'm starting with a moderate level kit before I try my first scratch built. Iv'e been getting advice from your forums since I decided to go for it.  I'm looking forward to more feedback and sharing lessons learned with this community of like interested friends. 

post-16801-0-73669000-1420074499.jpg

Hi Captain71,

Welcome to the Surprise build group.

I started my Surprise about a year ago. Initially I thought I would go for a kit build and the Mamoli version was one option, at 1:75 the finished product is a manageable size. Other options at 1:48 or so would have ended up pretty large.

In the end I decided to scratch build using the Lavery & Hunt book as the basis as it includes a version of the original plans.

The hull is going well and I am working on the fittings for the upper deck. (This is actually below the quarterdeck and forecastle). Working out how to fully detail this upper deck was a bit of a challenge as all the detail has to be in place before I install the top deck sections and I didn't want to end up doing dusty work with all the guns etc. in place. So I have got removable deck sections that I can complete remotely. So far so good.

Cheers. 

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Hello Navis Factorem. Thanks for the welcome. I looked over some of your build log and I am impressed.

I too have read all the O'Brien books and would really like to modify this kit to fit the ship description.

I'll be checking in on your progress for advice (with your permission Sir)

Thanks again,   Captain71

Edited by captain71

After completing (or starting, for that matter) my first wooden ship kit, the Niagara, I plan on doing a frigate and the Surprise tops my list...so I'll be following your build with rapt attention. Looks like you're off to a good start!

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

:piratebo5:Tom  :piratebo5:

Current Builds:

1. Revell's 1/96 USS Constitution 

2. Model Shipways 1/64 Niagara 

Hello Captain71 and a big welcome from me too!

Thank you for starting a build log.  I am building the same kit myself and will follow along with your every step! (And maybe steal a few ideas, tips and tricks too haha) There are only a few HMS Surprise builders here at the moment but they are all very friendly, and of course the whole community is here to help.

Welcome again and good luck!

Thankyou to all "Surprises" for your warm welcome. I work away from home at 3 and 4 day stretches and therefor only have a few hours per week to work on my ship, but of course these projects are all about patients and the very slow process of fine detailing.   I'll be following your build logs as well and am looking forward to our exchanges of information and developing friendships.

Hi Captain71,

I was able to keep the mast holes in the center, but the issue is that the structure is not perfectly even (at least on my kit), the deck planking is not precisely even in width and I was not precise enough in my placing and cuts to get it to be perfectly congruent on both sides. So I ended up with slightly different cuts into the sides (nibbling). The gun deck is good to practice on as it is nearly completely covered except midships. There is a specific pattern (4 or 5 butt shift?) and plank length (15-20 ft) that is most historically accurate and I added trenails (1 inch to scale or 0.20 inch diameter on the model). There are some nice planking tutorials here. http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php

Hope this helps. This photo is from my build log.

post-549-0-33097700-1361197102_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mayohoo, That looks great. I wished I had researched more, as I have already started the the deck at the 80 mm per the plans around 8 ft.( or is it 10)  Kinda metric stupid, bein American n all.

I did get it centered perfectly though, as it laid out exactly to the edges. This is the course I have done so far.

post-16801-0-02989300-1421258424_thumb.jpgpost-16801-0-51110900-1421258457_thumb.jpg. I need to sqaure off my ends better for the upper deck. I can dress these up with a knife later.

Edited by captain71

Hi Captain71

Looking good and I am treating this deck as a practice as most of it will be covered. My mast holes were not exactly centred and I have used a round file to make them more aligned. I am sure that once I fix the upper deck down I am sure the file will be needed again. I am finding with this kit there are some challenges in alignment etc so am slowing down my build to spend a bit more time on the preparation. I tend to rush things a bit and then spend a longer amount of time using putty and extra detail to hide some avoidable mistakes.

Waitoa

Hey Waitoa. The hole for the foremast was off alittle but I planked over it and will file it out to align right. 1 of my bulk heads is off too so I'm gonna have to shave 1 side and add to the other. I'm learning not to trust the factory so much. Like you, I tend to plunge ahead and clean up later. I guess we're sorta kindred spirits in that department. Thanks for being my "point man" and letting me follow your lead. 

Edited by captain71

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that someone else ran into the same problem that I did with a piece of the bulkhead breaking off while trying to put on the false deck. I tried gluing it back on but there's too much stress and it kept breaking off. 

What I did was to glue first then drill a pin size hole through the broken piece at and angle into the main part of the bulkhead. I then drove a needle about an inch into it then cut and ground it off. post-16801-0-79278300-1423472698_thumb.jpgpost-16801-0-25949700-1423472735_thumb.jpgpost-16801-0-99657200-1423472776_thumb.jpgpost-16801-0-61397800-1423472816_thumb.jpgpost-16801-0-32201700-1423472853_thumb.jpgGood and strong now.

Edited by captain71

• 4 months later...

Committed to the grating size and look. Not attached yet just sitting there. Noted that the boat stands are metal not wood like the plans show. That threw me for awhile when I couldn't find the wood ones. Been over seas for awhile. Workin on my boat slowly.

post-16801-0-37433200-1434080121_thumb.jpg

Edited by captain71

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

Just checking in to see how you are getting on. I have been hit with the dreaded motivation blues on my build.

Waitoa

I'm back. I've been in the same state of mind. I don't know why but I was really freaked out about starting my hull planking. I kept putting it off and muttering "I gotta get back to my boat". I looked at your log and said what the hell, Waitoa went for it, so I did too. There's always putty. Right? So I back on it committed to 1 plank a day. Started level with the gun deck. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I would even imagine me building this kit but as it is very rare now days mayby not. Your off to a good start. The metal decorations Mamoli provides are decent but do need a lot of cleaning up as lots of flashing and burrs occur. Good work.  

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• The title was changed to HMS Surprise by captain71 - Mamoli - Scale 1:75 - British Frigate