Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

sorry if I join the party late Patrick.........I've not had my  'browse time'  like I used to  ;)   sweet looking hull shell......the way you made it was pretty interesting.   card build frame?    good to have gotten those bulkheads in there...... humidity and dryness can play nasty tricks.  I look forward in seeing more progress  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Last summer a friend dropped by with a RC model of a J Class yacht and showed me how to work with it.  In the pond the thing was beautiful with great lines and sail plan.  Go for it.  Racing yachts are like Arabians.   They are wonderful to look at.

David B 

Hi Dennis and David

Thanks both for your comments!

Denis - you're right about the importance of getting some of the bulkheads back into the hull, just in case the hull warped. Luckily, the hull was fine, but no harm in being sure, I guess. As far as the building method's concerned, I used cardboard for the temp frames because I knew that they were easily disposed of, when they were no longer needed.

David - I would love to do what you did with your friend. It must've been quite an experience, that's for sure; especially, as you said, they really are utterly beautiful creations.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi all

Rainbow, all of a sudden has turned red! No stress, though. The reason is that I decided to paint the whole hull with a Matt Red colour. This will then be the colour of the hull under the water line. Once I'm satisfied that the paint looks good, I'll the paint the top sides gloss black. Hope this all makes sense.

I've also planked the floors onto which the internal bulkheads and accommodation will reside. Some of the bulkheads can be seen temporarily propped up in the photos.

Well, overall, progress may be slow, but, it's still heaps of fun, nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-94057500-1421659849_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-34151400-1421659865_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-40077500-1421659883_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13958700-1421659900_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-85257200-1421659913_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-95777700-1421659929_thumb.jpg

looks super Patrick.......neat color for the below deck flooring  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Patrick it is so enjoyable watching your progress on these tiny masterpieces.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

gee........you even got Dave studdering!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi everyone and thanks for all the Likes and comments.  As you can see from the photos below, I've started on the deck's framework.  As I intend to fully detail the interior of Rainbow's hull, it's important that as much of it can be viewed and enjoyed.  For this reason, the deck will be left open and unplanked.  

Progress is steady, yet slow.  No need to rush things; besides, I'm finding it too enjoyable to rush.

I hope you enjoy the photos so far.

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-83880100-1421854499_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-17908700-1421854507_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-54564100-1421854514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

I like the way you did this.........the margin planks with the king plank down the middle.   it suggests that the open areas are filled in with the actual planking ;)    at first glance,   I thought it strange.......but in the terms of planking.....it looks logical  :)    nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

No need to rush things;

Absolutely, but you do work fast. Nice way to do the deck framing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Envy is raising it's head.  Too bad I cannot see it at Manitowoc this year.  I am sure the judges would be impressed.  Enter it in the next NRG photo contest.

David B

Patrick get a hold of Chuck, he will have the all the info needed. Or contact Kurt Van Dahm.

David B

Great work Patrick! I fell in love with the Rainbow the first time I saw this classic photo. It just oozes speed and grace!

post-218-0-00432500-1421970240.jpg

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hi David, Salty Sea Dog (Buck), Welfack and Angavarter as well as everyone for their Likes.

Work is progressing, albeit slowly.  I hope to post some progress shots tomorrow.

Buck - In the meantime, many thanks for the photo.  I totally agree with you about the magic of the J Class yachts, Rainbow in particular.  Beautiful , powerful brutally imposing, yet majestic, all at the same time.

Welfack - Thanks also, for your query over the scale.  I've calculated the scale to be 1:222 (hopefully that's correct). My calculations are based on the original being 131ft and my model being 17.99 cms.

David - thanks, also for the tip about the photo contest.  You never know.....

Angarvater - greatly appreciated and thanks for the compliment.

Anyhow, thanks everyone, and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi all

After spending some time cutting the internal bulkheads, I've now made a start on the internal accommodation; namely the main saloon amidships. It may not look like much yet, but hopefully it'll all come together into a very presentable interior.

I've also included a photo of the deck, which may look terribly unfinished! Rest assured that I've deliberately decided to leave the majority of the deck unplanked to allow the interior to be seen.

Hope you enjoy the photos and have a great week!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-85978200-1422277757_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-17683000-1422277774_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-89146600-1422277788_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-77272600-1422277810_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-05017200-1422277828_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15603600-1422277844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Very very nice Patrick.

Michael

looks super Patrick  :)    well done on the deck frame too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Lawrence, Michael and Dennis as well as everyone else for their comments and Likes!! They all mean heaps to me.

Lawrence - it's interesting that you say that about putting lots of detail into small spaces, because in the past, it was more a case of putting too few details into a model. However, with my more recent models, eg Lennox, Dorade and Ingomar, I've gotten better at doing things (not boasting in any way, just recognising that my skills have improved, as does everybody's over time). So the question now is what details should I omit! For instance, I'm basically using the premise "if it fitted on the real boat", you should at least try to put into the model". Sure, sure, sure, it'll never look exactly like the real thing, but I'm happy if I can at least give it a go.

Thanks once again, to all of you.

Cheers and happy modelling!

Patrick

Hi everyone

Hope all is going well. Thank you to everyone for their comments, Likes and encouragement so far.

As you'll see from the following photos, I've made some progress on Rainbow's interior. Still a very long way to go, but it's a start. Please don't mind the bulkheads being out of alignment because they're just temporarily positioned whilst the work progresses.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-93665600-1422539107_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-87642200-1422539124_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-74341900-1422539140_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-02948100-1422539155_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-93811200-1422539174_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-42239500-1422539194_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-29525700-1422539209_thumb.jpg

interior decorating is going well,  I see  ;)   very nicely done  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: