Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

Hi Patrick

... oh, I'm sorry! - I mean bulkheads. Please excuse my bad English. The german term of bulkheads is "Schotte", but unfortunately is also Scots written in the same way as "Schotte" - hence I made a mess.  :huh: 

... I can see wooden bulkheads in your model and also such in white. Hence my question about the white bulkheads. I suspect there are also wooden, but painted in white (?)

I'm going to allow me to correct the error above and will convert the Scots to bulkheads.  ;) 

Regards

Mike

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

Hi Mike

Ahh, ok, I understand now and that's perfectly ok about the language difference.

The photos of the actual modern day replica of Rainbow (built by Dykstra in 2011) has a mixture of rich mahogany for the main accommodation and living areas, as well as off-white bulkheads for the other areas such as cabins, galley cupboards, etc.  Therefore, I thought the best way I could simulate the white bulkheads and cabinetry was to use white plasticard. I didn't see any need to paint the white plasticard as the unpainted plasticard looks like a pretty good match to the photos I've seen.  Besides, painting adds another layer to the surface, which at this tiny scale, could make the bulkheads look thicker than they should (I hope I'm making sense!).

Hopefully I've answered your question.  Please let me know if not.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Fantastic work Patrick.

btw, I understood what Mike ment with scots!  Seeing he is from Switzerland.  The Dutch word for bulkhead is schot, therefore  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Fantastic work there Patrick, I am assuming you will be fluffing up the pillows in the master bed suit ;~)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Patrick, to give us an idea of the size of the parts, how thick is the plastic that makes the boat stand?

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob

I've just measured the plasticard sheet (.20mm thick) and also the thick cardboard which was used as the temporary stand for the hull. The card measured .42 mm thick.

The photos are below. I've thrown in some better photos of Rainbow as well, just in case anyone's interested in seeing more photos.

All the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-95224900-1423490779_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-91449000-1423490802_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-48095100-1423490821_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-12127200-1423490837_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-00152600-1423490854_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-95068400-1423490873_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-12775600-1423490891_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kevin.  That helps me understand all those tiny pieces you put in to make it look real.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

very well thought out Patrick......added detail can even relate to thickness as well.  ;)   I notice the center board housing looks to be a bit thicker {1.5 mm ?}  in relation to the rest of the build,  do you plan on keeping it that way?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Dennis

Thanks.  Centreboard?  Ahh, ok I see what you mean.  Actually, what could easily look like a centreboard housing is in fact a crude cardboard mockup of the main companionway's staircase *ie the slightly triangular shape in the rear stateroom.  I needed to do the mockup so that I could get a good idea of how the main cabin and staircase all fits together.  Without doing so, I'd really be flying blind as far as it all coming together!

Hope this all makes sense!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

makes perfect sense........done thing like that myself  :)   don't know what I was thinking calling it a center board housing.......with that keel, where would you put it?!?!  :D  :D  {don't mind me.......I've got a bad case of  'truck brain' }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

makes perfect sense........done thing like that myself  :)   don't know what I was thinking calling it a center board housing.......with that keel, where would you put it?!?!  :D  :D  {don't mind me.......I've got a bad case of  'truck brain' }

No worries Piet! Hope all's going well on the 'truck'..., especially with the snow, etc, that you're getting there.

Hmmmm, Popeye you mean?   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :)  :)

No snow in Florida and my truck is still okay.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

that's OK.........you just put me up there about three notches!  :D  :D   ........oh....sorry Piet........errrrrrrrr,  five! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

there are many here on the site that are way above me..........I see something cool.....try it myself,  but I still have times where it doesn't come out as good.  it's all technique,  my friend.  honed skill through the years.....they deserve the respect ;)   I'd say though,  that if we enjoy what we do,  and remain open and experiment with new ideas.......then I'd say we're following right along in their footsteps  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Dennis.  

I couldn't have said it any better!  I respect and admire the skills, talent and expertise of many on this Forum, too and can only sit back and learn from them.  

You're also definitely right about enjoying the hobby, because I've always thought that the time to stop is the time that the fun stops...hopefully, that time will never come for me.  i'm enjoying the hobby too much!

All the best for the weekend.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi eveyone

Many thanks to all for their Likes and comments.

Rainbow's progress has been slow this week. However, tonight I managed to concentrate on building the bunks in the forward cabins as well as one of the bathrooms. At the rear of the boat, I've also added the double bed mattress in the owner's stateroom, complete with pillows and a counterpane. Ok, you may need to use a bit of imagination....

Hopefully you'll enjoy these latest photos. Have a great weekend folks!

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-71476100-1423844800_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33567300-1423844819_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-06693500-1423844839_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-19232700-1423844856_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-37444200-1423844871_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-02395600-1423844884_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-46954000-1423844899_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-92515300-1423872039_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80051400-1423872061_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-50197900-1423872076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Amazing.  Next you will be carving the hull from a pencil and still add all the inside details. 

Bob

Amazing. Next you will be carving the hull from a pencil and still add all the inside details.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the compliments...however, I have to admit that carving and moulding things to make figureheads, etc, is one of my weakest points. You only need to look at my feeble attempt at making a regal lion figurehead for my three masted warship Lennox, which sadly turned into more of a look a like for Kermit the Frog!!! It's a skill that I really need to brush up on. One day...

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Very Nice Patrick, very nice.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Out of this world!  Totally awesome Patric.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your comments and likes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

Tonght, I added more small details to Rainbow's forward cabins, such as the overhead lockers and pillows on the bunk beds. Amidships, in the seating area across from the galley, I added the table that the crew would rest at with a tote of rum.

I also started on the main saloon dining table which sits in the saloon. Later on, I'll add the saloon chairs to accompany the table.

Hope you enjoy these photos.

All the best, folks.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-82114600-1423928110_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-01963100-1423928126_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-72503900-1423928139_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-77660100-1423928154_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-08749700-1423928170_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-56081300-1423928190_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58920200-1423928204_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-24672800-1423928218_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-39747400-1423928236_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-55508800-1423928254_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-18661100-1423928273_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-18956200-1423928289_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15848100-1423928302_thumb.jpg

I'm speechless, all I can do is click the like button.

Bob

Hi Patrick,

I totally agree with Bob ... all words are meaningless versus your work  :)

bravo!!!

Regards, Matija

Thanks Bob, Matija and all others for their Likes.

Rainbow's been a joy to build so far. Granted, a lot of the internal detail is guess work, simply because all I have to work with is a blurry low resolution accommodation plan (see the first post in this build log) and a few digital photos, nevertheless, it's amazing what can be done with a little bit of imagination!

I'm just grateful that you all like my work, as I do yours.

Cheers and all the very best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I don't think I need to use any imagination .........you've already done that!!!   looks awesome Patrick!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: