Rainbow J Class Racing Yacht by Omega1234 - (18 cms long overall) - Finished

Hi everyone

Many thanks to everyone for their Likes and comments, especially Lawrence, Dennis, Piet, Matija and Igor.

I've decided to show the following photos of the cabin removed from the hull in order to show you the complex nature of its design.  Please bear in mind that this is part guess work on my part because I don't have detailed plans of the interior.  All I have to go by are some photos of the real ship's cabin as well as the blurry low resolution accommodation plan shown on page 1 of this log.  Who knows, I may be wide off the mark in many areas, but it's the best I could come up with.

Please note also, that the blue 'squares' that you can see on the white settees are in fact scatter cushions, randomly laying about in order to give a semblance of life to the model (oh well, use your imagination here).  The whole cabin still requires a fair bit more work, including the ballustrading for the staircase, so please forgive the messiness and roughness.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the photos!

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-31114100-1424960755_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-23697600-1424960763_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-44861400-1424960768_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-72737300-1424960773_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13515600-1424960778_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-04933300-1424960783_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58781600-1424960788_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-68435400-1424960793_thumb.jpg

It may be "guess work" but it sure looks good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Patrick,

you should be use finer sandpaper  ;)

I'm still, like a child, curious and pleasantly surprised with your work.

Excellent!

Regards, Matija.

Hi Patrick

I am realy fascinated! - Your ability to show us the wealth of details, lead us also the generous dimensions of these “J“-types before eyes - great work!

Best regards!

Mike

Edited by mikegerber

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

Hi Patrick,

Every time I think that you already showed the higher level, but, it appears that it is followed by other higher level.

Maybe round a gash in the deck for a ladder there shall be any small side (something similar to a coaming)?

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Igor

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean about the coaming? Can you pls clarify when you get a chance?

Thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean about the coaming? Can you pls clarify when you get a chance?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

OK, I will try to explain that I meant.

Actually I never visited yachts, but only some big vessels. Therefore all this are only my assumptions.

As I understand, on these pictures is figured the internal interior of the cabin which is at the level of the deck:

post-17539-0-48572700-1425023187_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-95938100-1425023197_thumb.jpg

The ladder goes down from the cabin in inside part of hull of the yacht. I saw that in courts all doors and all ladders leading down usually have a high threshold (coaming).

The coaming a little interferes with penetration of water into the lower rooms . Besides, in this case any subject which fell to a floor, most likely, will fall down.

But it is only my assumptions.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Igor

Ahhh! Ok, That makes sense. I can't find any photos of Rainbow's companionway to confirm if the coming is actually in place. But... I'll see if other similar modern luxury yachts have them in their companion ways.

If so, I'll add them. Good pick up, Igor!

Thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

very interesting that you can show the individual component.  it would be true that most entrances to the lower deck would have a coming,  but it is in an enclosure........the enclosure would have it.   any and all holds would have one as well.  it's amazing how much detail you have in just that one assembly  :)    I would leave it as is  ;)  very nice progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi everyone.

Many thanks for your Likes and comments.

Igor and Dennis - I decided to leave the coaming off the floor of the cabin because it would be hard to see it anyway, but thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I've done a bit more work on the cabin and here're the results of it temporarily (and crookedly) sitting in the hull.

Hope you enjoy them!

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-88235200-1425134861_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-25991800-1425134868_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-26782400-1425134875_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-82353200-1425134882_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-22302800-1425134891_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-20352600-1425134897_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-98176000-1425134902_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15962900-1425134908_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-07581700-1425134914_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Igor

It actually worked out to be something like 1:222 (or something like that).

A sea map would be quite a massive challenge. I think I'd have to pass on that one ...! Nice thought, though.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Love those tiny models in the little model.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Igor

It actually worked out to be something like 1:280 (or something like that).

A sea map would be quite a massive challenge. I think I'd have to pass on that one ...! Nice thought, though.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Yes, Patrick, pencil with a diameter of 0,02 mm... the map 3,5 x 3 mm... Perhaps, really there is no sense to try to do them ))

Best Regards!

Igor.

ahhhhhh....the dreaded detail threshold.......to infinity...........and beyond!  :D  :D

looking real sweet Patrick........nice!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

And if to put a sea map and sailing directions on a table?

But then perhaps you will want to add a protractor, a ruler and a pencil ))

Hmmm I see the gauntlet is down, :D

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wonderful work Patrick,

it is amazing me every time I look at your Progress in this mini scale

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all of your likes and comments and especially to Nils, Mike, Dennis, Captain Bob, Michael and Igor.  Whilst the gauntlet has been put down I'm still not sure how i can even do a 3 mm square sea map...but you never know.  If I do, I will be sure to post it, that's for sure!

I have, however done some more work on the cabin, most importantly the external cockpit seating area, complete with white cushions.  At some point, I'll still, however, need to get back to finishing off the ship's interior.  Once that's done, then I can get back to finishing the painting of the hull and then glueing the deck to the hull.

Still loads of work to do, as you can see.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-25778300-1425306338_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58129500-1425306344_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-46768200-1425306351_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-00151900-1425306359_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-09925900-1425306366_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-10210400-1425306373_thumb.jpg

No opening to get out on deck? Interesting but great work

Bob

Hi Bob

You know, I wondered that myself...unless I've misread the plans, it appears that the only access is via the main companion way. Quite puzzling for a 134 foot boat! Other hatches are at the stern, but they seem to be for storage, etc, not for access.

I've also found a video of the real ship with crew members taking a sail out to the deck via the companion way staircase, so perhaps that's all there is. Strange though.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Neptune and David

Many thanks for your compliments, which are gratefully appreciated.

Neptune - absolutely no problem about putting a photo in my log! Please feel free to visit my other logs as well. Comments and feedback are always welcomed.

David - if you wish to try a miniature, I'm sure you'll get hooked really quickly. There's something magical yet challenging about miniatures, but that can also be said for larger scale models as well. Incidentally, yesterday I took one of my RC yachts which was in the shed for 30 years and put it in the fish pond...just for fun, you know. Not only was it massive in comparison to my Rainbow, but it was also a welcomed change to hold a large and heavy model in my hands.

All the best to both of you!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

That site shows the same thing.  No access to the deck at that location.

Bob

nice.......I see you started a bit of planking  :)    have you though about how she's to be viewed?   if you planked the cut a way side and left the other side open,  you could position a light over the other side and illuminate the lower deck......that would look really neat!

super job your doing here!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

nice.......I see you started a bit of planking :) have you though about how she's to be viewed? if you planked the cut a way side and left the other side open, you could position a light over the other side and illuminate the lower deck......that would look really neat!

super job your doing here! ;)

Hi Dennis

Many thanks. Yep, I've done some planking on the deck, but my intention is to do the absolute minimum, thereby leaving as much viewing area as possible. So much so, that planking will only be put on if it is needed for the skylight and other deck items such as the binnacle, etc.

Incidentally, I did the same with my other model of Ingomar (see photo below) and it worked really well on that model, so I'll probably do the same here.

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-46872900-1425507748_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-49157400-1425507768_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your comments and support, so far. Whilst it may look like nothing much has happened over the past few days, I've managed to make the skylight which sits over the main saloon as well as work on other bits and pieces. I'll post better photos later on, but I've attached three below just to give you an idea of where things are at. There's still lots more work to go, though, especially to the skylight, etc.

Please see photos below.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-63018800-1425705053_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-49629500-1425705092_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-93862000-1425705132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234