Red Dragon by UpstateNY - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:60

Hi Nigel:

Just took a glance through your build log - really great work here! Very clean and sharp

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comments and likes everyone!

Hi Lionfish,

I'd need to add a few ice sailing mods to sail my Dragon on Lake Champlain pretty soon! Champ is safe for another season!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Again, thanks for all the comments and likes everyone.. :)

It has been slow going as I learn, but I've made a little  progress on the rigging.  All the double blocks for the shrouds have been seized to the eyebolts ready for attaching to the chainplates. Hard to tell from the pictures, but the top of the mainmast shrouds were then served where they wrap over one of the metal crossbars at the top of the mast.  Finally, before tightening the shrouds, pairs of single blocks were attached to the mast using the other crossbar. These pairs of blocks will be used later when the sails are added. 

Now on to complete the fore and mizzen mast shrouds...hopefully this will go a bit faster!

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-14778200-1446197979_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-98774000-1446198001_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-30880500-1446198023_thumb.jpg

Hi Lionfish,

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind comment.

"looks great, how would you rate this kit so far?"

It is a fun kit and a good one for a first build.  Planking is not too hard as the bow is not very bluff and of course the rigging is not very complex. The kit also offers lots of scope to add fun extra details. I've been pretty happy w the wood quality but as usual, some of the kit fittings like the cannons, rope and blocks are worth upgrading.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi Lionfish,

Yes, I am already using the upgraded rope, boxwood blocks and cannons from Chuck at Syren.

The cannon comparison vs the kit cannons is back on page 6 post 110 in case it helps. I am using his rope in tan and black at 0.008, 0.012 and 0.025in depending on what is being rigged. Blocks are his 1/8th single and double blocks, but I went down to his small 2mm blocks for the cannons. Note the kit provided 4mm blocks which look just too large given the 1/60th scale. 

The link to the Syren webpage is below, but it is of course on the top page of the site along with all our other sponsors (my thanks to them all!)

http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

Thanks for the kind word Dimitris and to those who hit the like button! I certainly plan on having a good day as I have a day off today! :dancetl6:  

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi Nigel and Robb,

Many thanks for your encouraging comments...I can't say I am finding this rigging stuff easy, but things are slowly speeding up as I practice. I am hoping to finish the remaining shrouds this week. Then the sails will be pretty much the last really big job.

As for fall, we are unfortunately past the best of it now up here, but there are still a few lovely patches here and there to enjoy.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi All,

Thanks to all everyone for the kind comments and the likes....I know I am repeating myself here, but all the encouragement is truly appreciated.

So over the past week, I managed to finish off the fore and mizzen mast shrouds.  Exactly the same process was used as for the main mast and thankfully with the practice, things went a bit faster. So, the Dragon's standing rigging is done and now it is on to making the sails...should be fun!

Thanks for reading and pics below as usual.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-35391200-1447029878_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-81907800-1447029898_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-98065800-1447029916_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-98882400-1447029941_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel:

She's shaping up very nicely - the said will really liven her up

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi All,

Thanks for kind comment Hamilton and to all, my thanks for the "likes".  

Well, as a break from stabbing my finger with a sewing needle as I try to make some sails, last night I finished off the ships boat. I made a small sail and then lashed the mast/spar I made earlier to it.  I also lashed the oars together and finally tied the boat down to the deck support using some eyebolts and Syren hooks, rope and boxwood cleats.  Hope you like the deep red color I chose for the sails. 

Now back to sewing practice..... :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-46322900-1447288339_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-03884600-1447288361_thumb.jpg

Lookin' really good, Nigel ... and she's only going to look even better once you've decked her out with the red sails.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi All,

Well, as a break from stabbing my finger with a sewing needle as I try to make some sails, last night I finished off the ships boat. I made a small sail and then lashed the mast/spar I made earlier to it.  I also lashed the oars together and finally tied the boat down to the deck support using some eyebolts and Syren hooks, rope and boxwood cleats.  Hope you like the deep red color I chose for the sails. 

Cheers,

Nigel.

attachicon.gifPB113920.jpg

attachicon.gifPB113924.jpg

Hi All,

Cheers,

Nigel.

attachicon.gifPB113920.jpg

attachicon.gifPB113924.jpg

Janet B.

Hi Nigel, your Red Dragon build is looking terrific,if you are going for red sails i think it will suit your model,i am also thinking of fitting red sails

but i think i will wait to see how your sails look.I am not at this moment able to do much building at the moment as i have just had a

knee replacement and its painful at the moment so i cannot concentrate very much,however i am following your build with great interest.

kit would be a really good start as a first time build.

Dearest regards Janet

Edited by Janet B

Hi Janet,

Firstly my best wishes for a speedy recovery Janet...I hope you are soon up and about, feeling much better and able to get back to your great Dragon. Thank you for your kind words.

Hi Captain Steve,

Thanks the encouragement...hope you like the below post  :)

As for the red sails, well here is my first effort!  Needless to say given all the sewing, I have now donated the required amount of DNA to my build...now you know why I chose red sails! 

Sails were cut from the fabric by cutting out the pattern after pinning the pattern to the cloth. The sail edges were double hemmed using iron on adhesive hemming tape so the cut edge was fully sealed. I then sewed around the edges of the sails to try and add some detail. 

Foresail pawls were then cut to length and the ends rounded off. Each pawl was then attached to the sail by stitching through the sail several times to form evenly separated loops. Finally, the foresail halyard, lift and bowlines were assembled using Syren single blocks and 0.012in rope and tied to the pawls.

Not the neatest job, but I am pretty happy given it is my first sail. Images are below and the next post will show the sail after attaching to the foremast.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-81050100-1447902181_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-58291400-1447902225_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-51181200-1447902250_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-95136800-1447902275_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-53117100-1447902447_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-90122000-1447902470_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-50063000-1447902502_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Follow on post to show you how things look after rigging the sail onto the foremast.  The pairs of single blocks attached to the foremast were used to rig the foresail halyard and lift. They were then tied off to the different windlasses. Bowlines were then tied off either through the deck ring bolts onto Syren cleats or directly to the deck bitts.

Good to see the first sail rigged and I am really happy with the deep red color. Images below and thanks for reading and of course for the earlier "likes".

Now onto the main and mizzen sails! Perhaps I am just starting to see the finishing line emerging.... :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-68630000-1447903883_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-01393500-1447903913_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-97189000-1447903941_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-62142200-1447903990_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel, your work on the sails looks fantastic (and this is only your first effort)... I like the red color also!! :)

Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

WOW!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the kind comments guys :) 

I am really pretty happy with how the foresail turned out and I am glad you like it too!  The mainsail is about 3 times larger so it may take me a while before that one is done!

Cheers,

Nigel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well finally finished the mainsail.  Process was the same as used for the smaller foresail, but as expected it took me a lot longer to complete. I still have a bit of work to help the sails hang more naturally, but I will wait to see how the mizzen sail hangs all the sails and lines interact before tackling this.

Images below as and of course, my thanks for all the kind comments and the likes.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-47801800-1448818602_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-42667400-1448818626_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-93926600-1448818649_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-38102100-1448818675_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-84290700-1448818704_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-32212300-1448818731_thumb.jpg

Nigel you are doing a marvelous job in every step that you working on.. The sails are awesome!!

Kind regards

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Those sails look great!

hamilton