Jump to content

Red Dragon by UpstateNY - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:60


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

The last few details are now done! :)

 

The kit lanterns were painted and either hung or glued in place. I also replaced the kit flag as the very bright red color on the kit flag didn't look right somehow next to the sails.  The new flag was made from the kit sail material and a red eye painted onto the fabric using the same FolkArt paints I used to paint the dragons. 

 

So all that is left is to clean off the dust, straighten out some of the standing rigging which has twisted slightly and then take some final shots in better light in her final resting place!

 

As always, thanks for reading, for the likes and the kind comments.  Images below as usual!

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel.

 

post-17285-0-31170800-1452044455_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-50228800-1452044491_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-02820500-1452044520_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-21801500-1452044542_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Patrick and Lionfish for the very kind works.

 

Patrick,  I am really pleased to have finished my first build and very happy with the way she turned out. Learned a lot and certainly will learn even more on my next build!

 

Lionfish, understand your time problem...I have it as well, but I just chip away with an hour here and there. Hang in there!

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Nigel

 

Outstanding!!!!, in fact it's so good the boss wants one (she who must be obeyed), so who am I to argue? Seriously, this is a fantastic model and is a credit to you.  Hope you don't mind but I will be stealing some of your ideas when I start mine, they say imitation is the best form of flattery.  Once again congratulations

 

Cheers

 

Martin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Martin,

 

Thanks for stopping by and for the compliments.  Please also pass on my thanks to the "boss"!  

 

I certainly will be pulling up a chair to watch your Dragon build and would be delighted if you find anything I've done worth reusing. Given your beautiful Revenge, I am sure you'll build a really unique and gorgeous Red Dragon.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Below are just a few final images to complete my Red Dragon build.

 

My sincere thanks to everyone for their generous advice and support over the past year.

 

I hope to see you all as I begin my USF Confederacy build as well as restart work on my Triton cross-section.

 

Thanks again.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel.

 

post-17285-0-59741200-1452386045_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-62156500-1452386069_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-95855200-1452386092_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-21844800-1452386118_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-77526200-1452386141_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-07671000-1452386166_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-61288600-1452386185_thumb.jpg

 

post-17285-0-25844200-1452386215_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...

Hi, Nigel.  I just found your build log on the Red Dragon by Artesania Latina.    What a gorgeous and beautiful model!  It deserves to be in a museum.  I, myself, have started the Red Dragon build and in about a month will be facing a problem you have so masterfully solved.  It involves gluing the bulwarks to the deck, and especially at the bow where they attach to the bow bulkhead.  They will be attaching at such a severe angle that I'm worried that the glue will not be able to permanently hold them.  In your build, I believe you mentioned that you would be preforming them before attachment. Excellent idea!

 

When you get a minute or two, can you tell me how you did this and what kind of clamps you used, especially at the bow and stern?

 

Kind Regards,

 

Stephen Walters

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stephen,

 

Thanks for the kind words and I hope you enjoy building your Red Dragon.

 

I had to check my own log to answer your question given it has been so long now, but I used Chuck's heat technique to preform the strips to shape. I illustrated this in posts 44 and 45, but I've copied Chuck's link below as well from my post given he shows this much better than I do. It took a while to get the shape correctly formed against the hull, but in the end if I recall correctly, I only needed very light pressure using some elastic bands and a couple of clothes pegs to hold the wood in place while the wood glue cured. I used Chuck's technique in multiple places and it really helped to avoid needing a lot of pressure.

 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8131-hm-cutter-cheerful-1806-148-scale-by-chuck/page-22

 

I hope this helps and best of luck with your Dragon!

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...