Great Stuff gap-filling foam

Anyone ever use it instead of wood fill blocks? I don't have any of the bigger equipment and won't for a while just wondering if I can use that instead of wood filler blocks?

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

Jim,

At first it sounds like 'Great Stuff' would be an excellent option for filler blocks.  However, I think it may cause more issues than it solves.  When Great stuff cures, it expands to fill the space available.  My main concern is the false frames and bulkheads might be 'pushed out of alignment' when 'Great Stuff' cures.  Also, will glue bond to it?   

I've made filler blocks by filling in the space with smaller pieces of balsa wood and then sanding it down.  Filler blocks don't need to be pretty, they just need to be functional. 

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Ok thanks Dee Dee. Looks like someone moved this. Thats why I couldn't find it. Thanks. That makes sense. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

• 4 years later...

There is a non-expanding version of "Great Stuff". That said, my experience with this stuff suggests that it might be difficult to shape. It's also very messy to use and a can is only good for one application because everything locks up as the foam hardens. It's use once and throw the can away.

Richard

Current Build

Artesania Latina L'Hermione

Previous Builds

I'm not sure where I saw it, but one our builds someone tried foam.  It didnt' end well as I recall.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)