HMS AGAMEMNON by PMG - Caldercraft

Hello Jean-Pierre,

I started drawing the gunports on the walls using the supplied template.

And I am not happy at all with the result.

No problem in the longitudinal direction, but, big discrepancies against the drawings in height.

I measured carefully. The upper deck level is correct: 180mm from the keel.

For the gunports I measure sometimes differences a big as 2 or 3 mm.

Hopefully, I still have the position of the two gundecks and I can check against the height of the port against a gun.

I am intended to rechck every level against the official drawings using that useful tool with a pencil to draw the waterlines.

Another "precision" work in sight before starting drilling the ports...

attachicon.gif033.jpg

Mobbsie, I checked the masts and I dry fitted them again.

To avoid any problem in the lateral size you have seen that, at an early stage, I added small pieces of wood on the sides of the false keel.

In the side view, my foremast lies perpendicular to the keel, what's correct.

The mainmast and the mizzenmast have a certain rake (backwards). I measured it, and they have exactly the same, what's also correct. I have to add, that at the beginning of the construction I cared for and I slighty sanded the slots to be sure to achieve the result. Anyway, its important that the foremast should make a right angle with the keek ans that the two others have the same rake.

Here is a third crewmember I made. A kinf of petty officer watching the construction with the hands in the pockets...

attachicon.gif034.jpg

I hope everything is fine. At what stage of the building are you right now? I started marking the gunports. Right now I have not encountered bigger problems. I followed the advice of Keith Julier in his book and created one template 17x15, the other 15x13 mms. However I noticed that the last gun-port in the upper row towards the stern fowls the bulkhead construction inside. I looked at the pland and they were according to it! I am afraid the inner construction becomes a bit unstable, if I just remove the part of the frame where it fowls. I wonder how you saved this problem

Greetings,

Karin

Hello Pierre / Karin

Karin, I would like to be able to help you and I think I can but I will not Hi-Jack Pierre's log to do it. This is not fair on Pierre.

If you start your own build log I will be most willing to help you.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hello Karin, hello Mobbsie,

You are at a point where precision counts,

The supplied template is very dangerous... don't use it too much.

In the longitudinal direction, there are no big problems, take a good reference line (by exemple the line passing at the beginning of the bulwalk of the quarter deck) and then, make your own template with a sheet of paper.

The main issue is to have the correct level. The knowledge of the decks helps and you can check taking into account the height of the guns, but I don't think it's precise enough.

There is only one good solution and one good tool that you can check easily against the plans.

It is this one:

post-1601-0-25433000-1375818466_thumb.jpg

I used it and obtained satisfactory results.

I made also templates I used for finishing the ports usinf a file.

post-1601-0-07838700-1375818618_thumb.jpg

The calliper sqare is also of daily use...

I hope this helps.

Now, Mobbsie is right, it should be better if you could start your own build log. It is not difficult to do.

Hello Pierre / Karin

Karin, I would like to be able to help you and I think I can but I will not Hi-Jack Pierre's log to do it. This is not fair on Pierre.

If you start your own build log I will be most willing to help you.

mobbsie

Hello Mobbsie,

Thank you for the offer to help me. I wanted to start a building log long ago and I guess I will do it in the near future. Although I do not work with the immaculate precision of you or Pierre...

Karin

Hello Karin, hello Mobbsie,

You are at a point where precision counts,

The supplied template is very dangerous... don't use it too much.

In the longitudinal direction, there are no big problems, take a good reference line (by exemple the line passing at the beginning of the bulwalk of the quarter deck) and then, make your own template with a sheet of paper.

The main issue is to have the correct level. The knowledge of the decks helps and you can check taking into account the height of the guns, but I don't think it's precise enough.

There is only one good solution and one good tool that you can check easily against the plans.

It is this one:

attachicon.gif036.jpg

I used it and obtained satisfactory results.

I made also templates I used for finishing the ports usinf a file.

attachicon.gif061.jpg

The calliper sqare is also of daily use...

I hope this helps.

Now, Mobbsie is right, it should be better if you could start your own build log. It is not difficult to do.

Hello Pierre,

Thank you for answering. I will try my best

Karin

Hello everybody,

As you know, I am for a few weeks in the South and there is no question of bringing my ship here. The Admiral should never accept that.

I have already to transport her six cats and my dog. You imagine if I had to carry my Agamemnon too.

But, I bring with me some "auxiliary" works, such as the boats I made two years ago, and now the 9 pdrs gun carriages.

I am attaching here a picture of my "carriage factory", with some very useful tooling.

post-1601-0-06310400-1375991530_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all advises I received from you all. But, they are not finished.

Next challenge, to install the flintstocks on the guns.

I made a first (non succesful) atempt, but when it works, I explain you how I did it...

Pierre

Like George I am always struggling with my guns and gun carriages.

The 26 18 pdrs carriage are already made. I just finished the 12 9 pdrs carriages. Now I have to paint them.

Like Mobbsie I installed the flintstock on the guns. Not an easy job because the pieces are very very small.

I glued them on a toothpick using PVA. Then, I glued them with cyano on the gun and removed the toothpick with a small file.

The picture gives an idea.

Of course, I didn't make them all. Only 14 18 pdrs but I made all the 9 pdrs.

Together, I started the mounting of a carronade (I think that Aggie had 12 of them). I ordered 8 from Jotika.

We will see later where to install them.

In the meantime, I started with one, and I show you later some pictures.

post-1601-0-32060000-1376423432_thumb.jpg

Pierre

Here is a picture of my two first finished carronades.

They just need some varnish and of course rigging.

The question will then be where to place them. Probably on the forecastle.

post-1601-0-21925900-1376907041_thumb.jpg

I am now painting the twelve 9 pdrs carriages.

Regards,

Pierre

Here is a picture of the complete collection of 9 pdrs and 18 pdrs gun barrels and carriages.

I forgot the eyebolts in "the North", and I am so obliged to wait next week to complete the assembly.

post-1601-0-09051600-1376940736_thumb.jpg

Otherwise, wheels and other accessories are also ready.

Regards

Pierre

That's is some mean looking weaponry you have there Pierre.

I didn't realise that the Aggy carried carronades, or is this an extra you are putting on, whichever it is they are very impressive.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi Mobbsie,

In the specifications Aggie is carrying 12 carronades, but there is no indication where they are.

The Caldercraft kit don't supply them.

I bought 4 carronades from Caldercraft. I found they were a little bit expensive but I did it.

What I didn't know, is that they were supplied by two. So, ordering 4, I got 8. Not a big problem if actually they were 12...

I first tought to install two of them on the forecastle and two at the first port of the quarter deck.

I shall move the two 9 pdrs guns to the forecastle as "chase guns".

But now, I have 4 more to place. May be, two more on the forecastle ( like on Bellona or Victory) and may be two on the poop deck.

Interesting question to debate about.

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice build.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I am now back in the North and am glad to refind my Aggie.

I continued to open the gunports and the starboard side is almost completed.

I show it in the coming days.

I made also some "auxiliary" work like the galley stove and the riding bitts.

And here I have a problem. The piece Nr 44 of the bitts seems to me surely 10 mm too short.

Look on the picture where I placed it above the drawing.

Did somebody experience the same problem?

I am intended to cut in the 5mm thick plank another piece with the suitable length.

Best regards,

Pierre

post-1601-0-16323400-1378392766_thumb.jpg

Hello Pierre,

You are absolutely right, the bit should be longer than it actually is, I have just measured mine and like you I am also short. My bit comes in at 52mm,  I will do more damage than enough if I try to change it now seeing as it's glued and pinned so it will be staying as it is. :angry:  :angry:

Thanks for pointing it out though, it will be very useful to Sjors when he starts his build. :)

Do you still have your stern open, if so could you modify your stern gun ports to take a couple of guns, either carronades or 9 pdrs, just a thought, may answer a question for you. :huh:

I do find it frustrating when the manufacturer states extensive research has been done and a little thing like carronades crops up, makes you wonder where they get the information from. Will you change her from a 64 to a 72 I ask myself, could be the only 72 Aggy in existence. B)  B)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Thank you, Mobbsie,

A conversation with you is always enriching and full of good ideas,

The stern is still open, but I think that I shall leave the chase gunports closed.

If I move 2 9 pdrs guns as chase guns, it will be on the forecastle.

By the way, carronnades were never accounted in the number of guns (may be a guy from MI-6 trying to cause some trouble to the froggies...?), so, even if I add 8 or 12 carronnades to my Aggie, she will always remain a 64. Funny!

Pierre

• 1 month later...

Hello mates,

An important step forward!

I finally finished the cutting of all the gunports. Long and fastidious work (for me anyway) with permanent use of a callipersquare and a water level.

I tried to have the ports exact to 0,1mm (what represent 6,4mm on the actual ship).

I immediately glued also the first plank of the second planking (the top of the lower wale).

It gives already a better idea of the ship...

post-1601-0-34913000-1381572299_thumb.jpg

But, the gunports are still not finished. I still to pierce the inner wall for the upper gundeck.

I was really afraid to do it. So, I built my UNIMAT 1 again and you see on the next picture the tooling I am intended to use for making small (1mm) holes trough the wall. Testing will be for tomorrow. I tell you if it is successful...

post-1601-0-32930800-1381572613_thumb.jpgl

Here is a front view of my Aggie.

post-1601-0-36907900-1381572681_thumb.jpg

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Those main gun ports are looking real good mate.

If you used your gizmo set-up for them then you will make a good job on the upper gun ports, I have every faith in you.

Getting that first plank down for the main wale is a big step and looks great.

As far as the main gun deck is concerned I placed small blocks inside the hull to give extra support for the linings, otherwise you will only have 1.5mm to fix the linings to, just a suggestion.

Looking forward to further updates.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hello Mate,

I think that would be a better idea than the small blocks I used, using the old planking waste will at least double the thickness and give you a better fix.

You only need them on the bottom sill, not the sides or top though, but that's up to you.

Your doing good mate, keep it up.

mobbsie

mobbsie

My system, using my drilling machine, works rather well. Fast, clean and safe.

post-1601-0-81190600-1381755230_thumb.jpg

But..... it is not exempt of failures. I realised that, when finishing the port with a file, there was little (or sometimes almost no)  support of the wall. And what had to happen, happened.

post-1601-0-62295800-1381755382_thumb.jpg

As Mobbsie said, it is sometimes useful to be good in repair!

As a consequence, I glued a small piece of wood between the two walls near the gunports. And so, I have now a strong support when using the file.

By the way, I think that my Aggie is stonger than before and will be able to accept much more damage during the fight.

Pierre

I started the preparation of the front fascia.

And here I have a question.

Look the attached picture. It's only the first layer of "french blue" supplied by Caldercraft.

post-1601-0-75261400-1381824751_thumb.jpg

I have the feeling that the blue is too dark.

Is it only an impression? Will it change after a second and third layer?

May be that I didn't mix enough the paint? Do I need to dilute it a little bit?

Your advises are welcome. Thank you.

Pierre

Hello Pierre

First some congrats regarding your build

Secondly  : regarding your question .. hmm in my opinion it is difficult to say  : at first sight the blue seems a bit too dark indeed and some dillueing seems appropriate however... a picture or a photograph can be deceptive whenever it comes to the light exposure. How does the blue respond in "natural light" ?

In addition : I presume some ornaments ( be it in yellow or ochre ) are to complete this specific part. How do you feel about the contrast ? Once completed, is this part to receive some kind of a varnish ?

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Hi Pierre,

It does look a little dark to my eye's but having said that I think it looks good. You could try diluting a second coat which should take out any unevenness, it will most likely look completely different when you have put the rest of the trim on, that should have the effect of lifting the colour.

As usual a light sanding will flatten it out some, also the doors when finished will break up the expanse of blue.

Just my 2 cents for what it's  worth, your choice my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Thank you Christian and Mobbsie for your kind words and your good advises.

I sanded lightly the piece and applied a second layer. It gave me already a better impression.

May be that the first layer appeared darker because the walnut bottom is dark.

By daylight it appears darker than on the photography (but it was not daylight, but artificial light...)

Some yellow lines will come and change the severe aspect.

I think that I shallcontinue so with the colours supplied by Caldercraft.

After all, I assume they (generally) know what they do.

Thanks anyway for the discussion.

Pierre

Hello Pierre.

Excellent progress my friend. Brings back a few bad memory's, I can remember quite a few repairs after cutting the gun ports as

well. Sure it will all come right in the end. As for the front facia, I tried the same caldercraft blue and was never happy with

it. It was to dark for me, so ended up mixing a couple of humrol blues to get the colour I liked. Its a personal choice

though and looking back i'm not sure I made the right decision. Couldn't keep changing my mind though.

George

Thank you George,

Effectivelly the front fascia appears darker than on the picture. On another side, yours seems to me a little bit too clear.

But, if you look to the Anatomy of the ship Bellona, it's not dark at all...and yours looks right.

I am now for a few weeks in the South, and there is no question to work on my Aggie. I have a little bit time to think about.

I applied already the second layer and there is no change in the effect.

I am now thinking to a third layer diluted with a bit of white.

Pierre

• 1 month later...

Finally back after a long absence.

I could continue the piercing of the inner wall and also lined the gunports (without sills).

The port side is now completely finished and ready for receiving the second planking.

I also added to all the other ports a liile piece of balsa that can be used as support of the lining in the future.

post-1601-0-31888700-1384964914_thumb.jpg

I also made a new attempt in painting the front fascia. I mixed a little bit of white to the Caldercraft french blue.

The final colour seems to me better (however the photography with flash doesn't give the right colour. It's actually much darker), but the result is horrible because the paint doesn't mix easily (they dry too quickly).

I have to redo it and I think I shall go back to the Caldercraft (dark) french blue.

post-1601-0-79471300-1384965186_thumb.jpg

I don't know what is exactly happening, but I feel that today is a sad day (for all Aggie builders and for MSW) as I noticed that Mobbsie closed his log.

Pierre

Nice work Pierre, the alignment of the gunports is perfect. A very nice sight.

Regarding the front fascia, as I see it from the pics hereabove : the first option (Caldercraft French blue ) seems the best.

I share your sadness regarding the latest events, however for myself,  I always bear in mind that MSM-moderators put a lot of their spare time and effort into this site. So in case of "a debate" they have the final word.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thank you ,Christian, for your appreciation.

Coming from you it's highly appreciated.

In fact, I took a very very long time to cut and adjust the gunports. I constantly worked with a calliper square and special callipers I made.

I assume that finally the size (and also the position) of my gunports are right with a precision of 0,1 or 0,2mm (it means around 1 cm on the actual ship).

I am now working on the starboard and hope to have it done ... for Christmas.

You are right about the last events, but the loss of one of our friends is always ...a loss.

Pierre