types of ships that sailed to Tampa and the gulf before USA

figuerres

I hope the title was about right.

I am interested in other that the first set (Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria) what the early ship types and some of the historic ships were in and around Tampa Florida

I have just started to look into this and read a tiny bit about an expedition that went almost 100% wrong some guy took a number of ships to florida and then to texas  but it was like out of 600 men only 4 made it back to spain.

I am picturing that many of the first ships would have been minor changes from what a model of the Columbus 3 were but what else ?

what references and records should I be looking for ?

I am kind of thinking of making a few models for the local museums if I get a good story and the right ships.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Hi figuerres,

Have a look here      www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/namerica.shtml      Many names of early explorers,French,Spanish et al over a period of 200 years or so. May be of some use to you in your quest as some were in your locale.

Dave :dancetl6:

Figuerres,

I think you're thinking of the La Salle expedition.  There's some good info here:  http://nautarch.tamu.edu/academic/alum.htm  Search on La Belle for info on the ship they have found.

Around Tampa would have been heavily French and Spanish as the English were focused on the north part of the continent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

actually the Narvaez expedition of 1528 to 1536 is the one that really tanked. and then there was Hernando DeSoto

thanks for the links. will check them out.

Building Hull :

Let's not forget the infamous scurvy-dog pirate Jose' Gaspar, whose bone-chilling exploits around Tampa Bay are celebrated by the yearly Gasparilla Celebration and booze-fest we see today! Arrrghhh, Matey! :)

Actually, Gaspar was pure fiction invented a century ago by a real estate developer who hoped to make backwater Tampa more exciting ... didn't work.

Yeah gasparilla is fun and all but not 'historic'

I need to get a copy of my picture in my pirate garb...

Building Hull :

The guy you have to talk to is fellow 'Tampon'  :) Roman Barzana. He used to head up a Tampa shipwright club in the 1990s, and he is the universal expert on all ships Spanish and Spanish Colonial. I haven't spoken to Roman in years, But I did see that he posted here occasionally in the CAD section last year.

Go USF, The University of Sun and Fun! The Harvard on the Hillsborough ...