USF Confederacy by yancovitch - Model Shipways

Great job Yan, your Confederacy is serving well as my inspiration to continue working on mine.

Thanks for a wonderful and helpful log also.

What's next for you?

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Hi Vic,

lovely build, its a beautiful model...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations Vic on another very fine model!!

Still hoping we will see La Couronne sail this summer! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

was thinking of making a display case which is light in weight and compact.....building this frame, and covering it with some kind of stiff but flexible acrylic or whatever....the top would be a flat surface for an led bar for lighting....any idea what i could use....low reflection would be nice but expecting too much me thinks

DSC_4066a.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Depending upon how sharp those curves are, a polycarbonate sheet may do the trick as it bends easier than an acrylic sheet will. That would be a cool looking display case!

As for your maiden voyage, I would test her out in a bath tub or small pool if you have access to one so retrieval is easy. Also, you could possibly tie fishing line (or any other light & strong line) to her so that if something starts to go wrong you can reel her back in. I understand the nervousness though. While I want to make an RC ship some day, actually sailing her scares me. :o

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Vic, you could bend poly that way, with maybe a 6" diameter bend at the top, since it's not going quite 180°; and instead of any framing, just cement the ends on.

Use a heat gun like you would to bend PVC.

Careful that you can lift it over the model and it's not too narrow at the base.  If you can brace the yards around a bit that could help with that.

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

thanks guys....and yes....i will attach a line to the la couronne for the first effort....got a 3/16th polypropylene line......but i was hoping to use some floating fly fishing line, but couldn't get any with higher pound rating......

and the confed. will slip into one end of the case that's why the shape door at one end.....the top will be flat metal or wood 1-2 inches wide for a led light bar.......the frame, aluminum i guess......

but we'll see if i go for it.......for now i just use cellophane for the dust

Edited by yancovitch

• 4 months later...

An excellent home for an excellent ship model. Well done. 

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

very inspiring build!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Beautiful build Vic.  You should be very proud to have one of the few fully rigged Confederacy models in the world.

Congratulations my friend.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

thanks all....we may start a new trend dave....''they'' could come out with a rigging kit with ''plans''....' 

if i get inspired sometime, i may loop lines on the belaying pins etc....but i want to get my little hms prince rigged.....was trying to get some rigging info for the prince on line, but no luck...can't afford to spend any more money.....i may have to stick with the limited aeropiccolo plans......my poor wife has been so patient and tolerant.....she works and i play...shame on me.....cheers......

DSC_8026a.jpg

yes the confed is the classiest kit i've ever built, with attention to accuracy and detail......

gads, you're right...ssshard to find a model  kit of it anymore......this was the original aeropiccolo model, with brass cannons....mamoli or amati took it over, and made it cheaper with white metal cannons etc....but some of these companies don't seem to be alive......video games have taken over ...no more patience only instant gratification is the world now.......

i used pear wood on mine, and modified the hull here and there to closer replicate photos of the model in the science museum .....to me, this kit was the closest in accuracy to that masterpiece.......i ordered a little book on seventeenth century rigging....so we'll see what that's like...meanwhile its a few weeks of tying knots.....ha...so i realize that it now will be a collectors item.......

i have the decoration moldings, flags, some fittings, and simple plans from another kit if anyone is interested, to scratch build a hull..............