USF Confederacy by yancovitch - Model Shipways

I'll say.  In fact maybe I'll trade you 36 finished guns for the woodwork on the head.

Nice.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

very kind fellas,......could have been more accurate, but i guess i lay down the parameters as to how far i want to go......naaaa augie.....you'll breeze through the head build....it's hard, but so much fun.....never bored....focus is so strong....brain challenge, battling bad habits....learning new techniques........ha...when i finish something, i finally figure out how to do it......now if i can only remember it :)

Edited by yancovitch

decided to stamp the cap squares over a filed down nail with a slotted screw as a punch......quoin handle.... bristle from a plastic broom...melted the end which i figure would be nice to prevent hand from slipping off :)........that's if for awhile...........

post-12143-0-27682100-1429986018_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

A nylon broom-bristle for a quoin handle----clever!   ;)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Vic,

just caught up with your Progress update on Confederacy, its such a Beauty and I see you`re leaving the wooden tones as natural Color scheme, (love it)

Congrats to this lovely build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Vic,

yes. the lower wale in dull black is a contrast in well harmony with the natural wood.

BTW. For gallerie, tafferal, bow,  and those places whwere you have chosen the black background for your decoration it looks elegant and  just right, I like it very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

ok......was going to leave it natural, but my wife who is 10 years younger than i, likes the black wale....and she will have to live with it when i kick the bucket...she's kind of, sort of, in a way,....the boss.....

....too bad i wasn't able to get the same wood for the stem and stern.......something i'll have to live with :)

back to the cannons :)

oh....that's just a piece of electrical tape :)

post-12143-0-23224400-1430084489_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-46886100-1430084493_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

ALWAYS  essential to keep the Admiral happy.  Mine just noticed the 'torpedo hole' on the starboard side and proclaimed 'I hope you're going to fix that' !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Vic. Your doing a fantastic job on your Confederacy. As they say you've gotta keep the admiral (boss) happy. Ben is busy in the scratch build section doing a pof Pegasus.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

thanks rusty....not doing as many dumb things as i did in the beginning :).....oh.....just thought i'd get some feedback regarding rigging, which i intend to do.....

i noticed on the photo, that the main mast is exceptionally tall...seems like it would be quite a strain carrying all that sail.....andit's yard is the same length as the one on the foremast which is strange...guess it's because of the height.....also, aside from the mizzen mast, all masts have the same diameter, which again is strange.....just thought i'd get some feedback.......i wonder what the taubman plans look like...can't afford to find out right now................

post-12143-0-15326000-1430150662_thumb.jpg

Hi Vic,

You, Augie and all the rest of you experts who have built or are building this gorgeous kit by Chuck also inspired me, so I will be building the Confederacy as my next kit build.  While I am biting off more than I can probably chew, I am also going to fully rig her as well so it is great to know you plan to blaze the trail here! 

In case it helps you, Chuck was kind enough to point me towards the Corother's plans to follow for the rigging.  Note in case you purchase them as well, Chuck warned me the belaying points are wrong, so I am now looking for Hahn reference plans from a similar era frigate, so I can figure out what exactly is wrong! So see the below image of the plans. I can't post anything more detailed given copyright concerns.

For mast and spar dimensions, take a look at the 1956 NRG article by Douglas Robinson. He has multiple measurements from different sources including the Admiralty measurements taken after the Confederacy was captured. Note the main mast per the Admiralty measurements was much higher at 97ft as compared to 88ft noted down by Joshua Humphreys.  Robinson notes it could have been stepped in England as seems the main was badly sprung after her capture.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-11362500-1430187771_thumb.jpg

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Another Confed will be a welcome addition to the growing fleet, Nigel.  With you and yancovitch fully rigging, it will be exciting.  I know that Andy (realworkingsailor) also has one that he plans to rig.

Now if I only had a bigger house........

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

sorry....does sprung mean warped or split?............will have to rely on info gleaned from this forum, as i can't afford any plans or whatever at this time......that drawing seems to make sense, although i thought the main and mizzen masts would be raked to the rear different degrees.....and is it the 88ft length on these plans?....fraid i'm not very knowledgable....i just see something i like and want to make it ..a romantic :).......i'm not good at detailed research....

Hi Vic,

Well, I am not knowledgeable about any of this, but only way to learn is to try new stuff. Part of the fun for me. Your work is beautiful so sure you will do a fabulous job rigging her.  I love the Admiralty builds, but will also have to really improve my woodworking skills to do the Confederacy justice given all the exposed timbers.

I've not had time to check the plans, but will do so after work tonight and let you know what I find as regards the main mast. 

Finally, a sprung mast is a cracked or split mast which exhausted my knowledge so a quick check on the internet indicated it can be caused by a failure of the standing rigging.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi Vic,

Just checked the plans and main mast length measures at  88 ft. I then checked the main yard length which at 86ft 6in also matches the mast/spar specs as recorded by Joshua Humphreys. I  also just found notes on the plans showing Corothers referencing Douglas's article so right now I think his plans try to show the Confederacy as built by Jedidah Willets in 1778. 

As regards the mast angles, plans show the foremast is vertical. Main and mizzen rakes are the same, but both are very shallow at only 1/8in per foot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nigel.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ach....procrastinating rigging the guns, so i put a stand together so i can finish up the basic outside hull, and not have to touch or rub it anymore.......cut up a couple of wooden candle holders....as i don't have a lathe and finding brass ornaments is too difficult up here in no mans land.....may sand down the base of the pedstals so they'r not as wide, and make them shorter.....hmmm the black wale may look good in this situation hmmmmm.......i'm just posting to encourage myself to get going again.....been slack......cheers....

post-12143-0-31055700-1434659074_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Gorgeous ship and gorgeous build.  Very nice work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

back to business.......still avoiding gun rigging so i put a few things together, but rigging will be next......found this wheel online, but i think it's too chubby.....may have to end up buying the expensive one from caldercraft or deal with the metal wheel in kit which seems too small and thin....hmmm...from one extreme to another............

post-12143-0-36537000-1437593810_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Those fitting look great Yancovitch. Especially nice job on the Brodie Stove. I agree about the wheel, as that one looks a little "fat".  :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice job on the stand!  The furniture looks good....that stove IS fun to build.  Wheel could be a tad thinner but it's a matter of how you feel about it.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976