USF Confederacy by yancovitch - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

although the expensive caldercraft wheels would  have been nice, i got a couple inexpensive 24mm brass wheels from cornwall ship models, which are the same size as on the plans......just had to grind them down to make them thinner......still a bit thick, but better than the last effort and better proportions.....although i may try for a better finish......the thin stock kit wheel having a nap...............acquired and posted these wheels so anyone interested has a better idea of what's out there ....hard to know what they look like until you actually have one.......this will have to do until the ship is more completed to see if it deserves me paying

$50 for the caldercraft wheels :).......

post-12143-0-98515900-1438750180_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

• 2 weeks later...

being naughty.....decided to paint the lower counter area black...feels better to me..gives the stern galleries something to sit on......ha....i just noticed that the last three cannons are sitting too high.....oh well.....something for a new builder to watch out for regarding the deck and the cannon port templates.....something i obviously missed checking......guess i could take the wheels off the carriages 

guess i don't do things the way they should be done, but what the heck, the idea for me is to enjoy it 

next job...gun tackles....yea i thought i might as well do them....and i thought i'd let the brass cannons oxidize naturally to a bronzey color....ha.....maybe i should place the ship in a sealed plastic bag filled with oxygen to speed up the process.....wonder if that would work .......

post-12143-0-57863800-1439412297_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-53979300-1439416190_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Hi Vic,

Build looks awesome...love the wood contrast between the deck, hull and the black wales and rails.

On coiling the tackle lines, perhaps see the recent discussion in Ken's Niagara log on page 15.  Seems several people find using a small turntable helps.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10038-us-brig-niagara-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-164/page-15

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

She's looking really nice, Vic.  Always amazed at the different looks we each come up with from the same starting point.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks, and what a great idea for the rope coils, although i think it may be difficult with the thread thin, springy, synthetic line that came with the kit..one thing good about the synthetic is that any ca applied doesn't show up but kind of blends in......i may have to use a different cord for the gun tackle...but i will rig up a turntable......and yes augie, we all have our different sensibilities regarding appearances and techniques....at the risk of offending the creator (either one) i take quite a few liberties and short cuts .........

figured a method of making coils with water bottle caps....very fast to make....pics explain.........used white glue water combination with  a cotton type line, but it came out a bit squishy...but second effort was better......will try other types of adhesives  and the synthetic line that came with the kit, and maybe not hold the caps too tight....we'll see....

i'm sure this is in no way original, but it sure was original for me :)

post-12143-0-70114500-1439755001_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-43767100-1439755014_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-24420900-1439755023_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-01505300-1439755038_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-92015500-1439755053_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-88340400-1439755063_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-61886400-1439756114_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

• 4 weeks later...

ok.....now from rigging guns, whew, to getting back to having fun.................guess ''they'' covered the companionways when using the capstan.....hmmm....just realized i'll have to protect the gun deck with something when working on the upper decks.......hmmmm.....

was just thinking that it might be nice if there was a little laser gun with variable power to burn in treenails........ha....always looking for the easy way out.....shame on me ......always trying to innovate....ha....born out of laziness i guess ........

post-12143-0-40308800-1441748352_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Vic -- check your parts.  You need 16 for the gun deck and should have 22, each about 16mm in length after you trim them from the photoetch.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That is strange,  But actually, scratch might look better.  22 gauge????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice work.  They'll look better than 'factory equipment'.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hey, your lady is a real beauty.  Get ready to mess up your gun deck with a pile of sawdust!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

If was made from Legos you wouldn't have to worry about sawdust and you'd be a feature in the international news.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

This is some impressive work,... and another kit on my radar. I don't imagine the kit comes with the planking as depicted in your build...?

jp

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

hi jerry.....hahaha......amazing, i have seen a few sailing ships made out of legos on the net......maybe an r/c lego version would be an innovation :).........don't know if legos float though.....hope you are well as always...........vic

thanks jp.....only basswood is provided in the kit....i don't think i would ever build a ship out of basswood....just  placing some finger clamps, left impressions in the wood......i'm probably probably not skilled enough, as it's so delicate......i used pear, and basswood for the deck, but i much rather would have used boxwood there instead......fine grain hardwood is a joy to work with...........

Edited by yancovitch

heck, these guys on the forum are pain in the butt....making me have to curb my impatience and try to emulate their skills.....sheesh.............well i can try anyways  :)......but i figure it'll look ok when it's done....i really don't like staining things, but practical to do so here...(with a prestain)

ha....after looking at this sausage for so long, all the other ships are starting to look stubby to me :)

post-12143-0-59993200-1442534518_thumb.jpg

Darn it Vic.  I may like your version more than mine !!!!!  One thing is for sure....... she's a beast.  We're gonna need bigger cameras  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

yea....a real loooooong camera :)...........hey i just noticed that you're almost my age...thought you were a younger fella...ha....a slight update.... and naaa augie ....i couldn't emulate the clean detailed finishing like you manage to accomplish....

oh.....i forgot to mention i used the black plastic bristles from a broom to simulate the bolts.....black right through....

post-12143-0-92347000-1442553709_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

hiya...check http://www.modelexpo-online.com/under model shipways kits...plank-on-bulkhead....confederacy.....one of the best kits i've seen.....which can be built nicely with the basswood provided, but i used a hard wood cause i'm just toooo clutsy....i tend to attack rather than caress :)....

Edited by yancovitch