Brenticus

Sultana Schooner by Brenticus - Model Shipways - First Build - yet another

Well, this is my very first wooden model ship, the Colonial Schooner Sultana, by Model  Shipways.  Not that I needed to really elaborate, since everyone in the world has probably already built the kit, and everyone has seen one built lol.

So this build may bore many of you lol.  But I'm excited! 

Currently, I'm sanding the boat to match the fore and aft part of the template, and I'm about done with that.  I'm also about to read that one guy's Practicum regarding the Sultana, as I can use all the help I can get. 

Since everyone is so very familiar with this kit, I intend to make this build log pretty light, so as to spare everyone the tedium. 

I'm sure I'll have questions, however, and I'll want to brag from time to time ;) ...or come begging for help in shame lol.

So:

QUESTION #1:

How important is it to sand the stern of the boat flat?  Do I need to only focus on the center part fitting the template?  Or would the whole stern need to match the angles, etc. from the template?    The instructions make me think I'm basically just trying to get the basic fore and aft lines right, without worrying about the whole stern gallery area (or where it will be).

QUESTION#2: Is using a dremel w a sanding attachment a good idea?  Or is that too much? 

Anyway, looking forward to this build!  Hopefully you guys will enjoy some of my build, even if it is repetitive.  Maybe it will make you all nostalgic for when you used to make such rookie mistakes! lol.

I've never done the Sultana (or a solid hull kit) so can't help you with question #1.

Be extremely careful using a Dremel to sand.  It's very easy to take off too much wood, and there's no really good way to fix that (although fillers can certainly be used).  I use a Dremel to bring things to rough shape when I need to remove a lot of material, but never for final shaping or finishing, as it is just too easy to remove too much.

Thanks.  I took quite a bit off of the stern, might use it for a first hit, conservatively.  Depending on how much I need to take off.

The Sultana hull doesn't need a whole lot of wood taken off, and as Brian said, a rotary tool can get you into trouble in that department (it has for me in the past).  A wood rasp might serve you better for getting the rough shape, and remember to check the templates frequently. 

Hello Brenticus,

Firstly, welcome to NRG MSW!

I also have the Sultana kit in process. It has been my experience that the templates are not accurate. The Practicum put out by Chuck Passaro is an invaluable resource. I am not sure if this is the one you have. It used to be available on the Model Expo site, but since the re-design has disappeared. I do not know if it is available for download elsewhere. 

I have a lot of projects in process currently, and have not made as much traction on my Sultana's as I would like. As for your stern question, I sanded mine mostly flat with a slight curvature.

I look forward to following your build log.

- Tim

@Neptune: Oh, no problem on excitement.  I'm already pretty well in love with wooden kits and all I've really done is sanded it (and to clarify, it is a fairly complete hull that just needs some sanding to be the proper shape 100%) but it's already mine, and I love her lol.

At least I'm doing it rigth with the templates, as I check them so often I thought I might be going a little overboard, but it just seems like it would be so easy to go to far and then never have that wood back to work with.  I think I'll stick with my sandpaper and some small files, thanks for the help sir.

@Tim: Chuck's Practicum is still available on the Model Expo website Edit: meant to say MSW Forum, and it is the one I've started reading now.  I've updated where to find it on that one forum post about it, and I'll also supply the link here in case that would be helpful: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-build-and-practicums.php

Also, now that I've found someone else building the Sultana...I CHALLENGE YOU TO A RACE SIR!  Ok, no I don't, that could very well end up with two boats quite unseaworthy lol, and God knows I'll need all the time I can get to learn heheh.

Thanks for the info on the stern, I was afraid of sanding too much away...as I am about everything on wooden models so far.

Hope your Sultana goes well, and your other projects too sir!  Love to see pics of your progress if you get back to her!

Edited by Brenticus

Well, after a small break (got sick and some other stuff), I'm back to the project. 

I've taken my first steps following Chuck's Practicum, which is just 100% spot on in what it observes  about the kit. 

The first step is to remove the bulwarks, which I have now done.  I also trimmed back around some of the places where it steps up to make the edges sharper.  They're pretty soft and rounded.  I do all of this keeping in mind my 1/16" extra space for planking.

11sf41k.jpg

263aiba.jpg

So, the next step is to sand everything where the wales begin to 1/16" less than the rest of the hull and use the templates to shape.

However, I've read ahead (best to be prepared and understand the whole picture) and Chuck (a man I am finding more and more respect for, this document is just awesome) suggests using the blueprints of the top decks as another template for the size of the decks.  As he has noted will probably be the case, the template is WAY smaller than the current deck.  I mean, by a good quarter inch.  So, aside from the 1/16th to allow for planking, I have a good amount of wood to shave away.  So I have a couple of questions.

QUESTIONS:

1. What would you say would be the best way to shave away this much extra wood?  Knife?  Rotary tool?  Grittier sandpaper? 

2. I am to add a small 1/16" thick piece of wood to the stern, per the Practicum.  The kit comes with spare wood, but I don't have much in the way of saws.  Where would be a good place to cut that piece of wood to that small size?  Or to get a piece of wood that thick?

Thanks, all!  I'm enjoying the journey so far and am learning a lot! 

Hello Brenticus,

Good to see you working on your Sultana again. To answer your questions.

1. The basswood is soft, but in my hull block the grain was a challenge. I used a chisel first, taking off as little as possible and checking my templates for proper fit. I then used an X-Acto knife to whittle some tough areas and a lot of sanding. It took me almost five hours to get mine right. 

2. I purchased a basswood sheet. As Chuck's practicum points out (I also second), the wood that comes with the kit is not enough in the least. You can get basswood sheets for not that much money.

I hope this helps. I just picked up my Sultana project again and just finished planking my hull today. I look forward to seeing your Sultana progress. 

- Tim

Well, I don't know about this any more.

This is a really nice kit, but I am finding myself less than satisfied with the solid hull.  Not because it needs work, but just because shaping a solid hull seems so imprecise- even with the templates.  When comparing it to a POB construction, I mean. 

POB construction makes much more sense to me, for some reason.  Even if it is more difficult, I think that's what I really want to do.

Plus, I really want to turn this thing into a model of the Lady Washington (especially since I may sail her sometime soon), so I think I'll save it for that.

So, unless somebody thinks this is just the worst idea in the world (I know it's going to be difficult, but I feel like I can do it, as long as I do my homework) or something, I think I'm going to put this project on hiatus and shoot for either the Rattlesnake or the Syren (it's instructions seem REALLY good).

Brenticus,

I am with you. I was very unhappy with the solid hull. I really prefer a plank on frame model. I gave up on my Sultana's because I was not happy with the solid hull.

Good luck with your decision.

- Tim

There have been talks about replacing all solid hulls with POB at Model Shipways. They started with one of their 1/96 models (Phantom) and were planning to cover the Sultana afterwards. As a matter of fact, I believe Chuck Passaro himself, was going to do the conversion for the kit. Since he is now extremely busy with his own company Syren, I suspect that this endeavor will probably never happen.

Yves