Gjøa by Stavrogin - Constructo - Scale 1:64 - first wooden build

• 1 month later...

It has been a while, but I am still building (albeit more slowly now).

Not the prettiest/finest work (nor photography), but I expect that the hull will look fine after painting. Most recently I've planked the bulwarks with some dull veneers that were included in my kit, laid and stained two more planks on top of each side that will be exposed when the rest of the hull is painted, and tacked on a little crescent for the transom. A lot of this is off Constructo's intended path so I will be customizing a few pieces next before attaching the keel.

edit: below is not the most pleasing angle for my slanted transom piece, but unfortunately that was the result of my sanding the backside flush. It will all be green above the stained plank, and overall I'm really not too displeased with the area. It looks much better right side up! 

Here are some updated shots:

post-17198-0-50542300-1428365960_thumb.jpgpost-17198-0-81794400-1428365962_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Stavrogin

Hi Simon, 

Glad to see you posting again :)   

Looks like you made great progress and looking forward to seeing her painted!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

Hi again MSW,

Been busy but want to log my progress again. 

I've begun painting the hull and most recently glued some timbers inside the bulwarks. They're still rough but will be sanded flush next. The green colour on the hull came out slightly more "minty" than i would have liked but the result isn't bad and I expect it will look good with the red I plan to add. Trying to research how to get my water lines correct for the next section and any pointers are appreciated.

Took some quick photos:

post-17198-0-92438900-1434572039_thumb.jpg

post-17198-0-34220300-1434572041_thumb.jpg

post-17198-0-70491600-1434572042_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Stavrogin,

I just bought this kit, going to start soon.  This build thread is going to help a lot! I hope you keep posting. I am also planning on painting mine in the true colours so I'll be interested to find out what ones you used. 

BTW oddly enough I live just down the road in London ON.

James

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current: Hermione La Fayette - Artesania Latina 1:89

Previous: Gjoa - Constructo 1:64

• The title was changed to Gjøa by Stavrogin - Constructo - Scale 1:64 - first wooden build