Boomkin Bumkin Bumpkin Question

GaryKap

A boomkin is defined as a short boom projecting at either side of the bow, used to extend the lower windward corner of the foresail.  This is done by passing a tack through a large block at the end of the boom.

My question is:  were the boomkins permanently attached to the bow, or were they set out when needed and taken down when they were not needed?  Or does it depend on the type of ship and the year?  I am particularly interested in this relative to the brig FAIR AMERICAN (1778).

Any thoughts from you knowledgable forum members?  Thanks

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

First off - they could be at other places besides the bow, such as very commonly at the quarters for the main brace block.

They were set in place with guys (shrouds) to hold them there - permanently.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

I agree they were probably more permanent than not in actual practice, but I why then use a cap square to hold them down onto the false rail rather than a more simple, permanent, means of fixing them in place?

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

why then use a cap square to hold them down onto the false rail rather than a more simple, permanent, means of fixing them in place?

Easier to replace when they get damaged?

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thank you to Jerry, Bill, Druxey,Allen, and Danny for your information.

OK, so the boomkins were permanently attached, and held with cap squares on the false rails.   But how were they attached to the hull of the ship?  Were they stepped into sockets like the masts, or attached with some kind of iron fixture, or somehow else?  Or do we know...?

<<Gary>>

Gary:

I have read that their inboard ends bolted right into the knightheads. Others will know better, but that is how I have seen it in plans and models.

Russ

Edited by russ

Russ and Druxey -

Thank you for your helpful responses to my questions.  I think I have the picture now.  Your input is appreciated.

<<Gary>>

Tadeusz -

Thank you for taking the time to research this and to share it with the forum.  Your information is excellent and will certainly help me and other forum members to correctly model the boomkins on our vessels. 

<<Gary>>

p.s.  I visited your beautiful city of Gdansk in 2010 and remember a nice old square rigger in Gdynia harbor.

• 6 years later...
On 1/8/2015 at 5:36 PM, GaryKap said:

A boomkin is defined as a short boom projecting at either side of the bow, used to extend the lower windward corner of the foresail.  This is done by passing a tack through a large block at the end of the boom.

Thanks for this old post.  I was wondering what the yellow spars on my bow were.  Though I may need to paint them black or brown.

525541F6-0B95-4F31-9A88-ED39CD6BE697.jpeg

Edited by Admiral Beez

• 4 months later...

If anybody is still alive posting on this  topic, I address you... It appears nobody answered the initial question, which was "Boomkin, Bumkin, Bumpkin..." For instance you mention it hanging off the bow; no mention of when it is hanging off the stern, for a backstay, or any mention of which spelling (bum, bump, boomkin) is correct usage? Any reply appreciated. On my Falmouth Cutter (circa 1902) I always referred to my stern fixture as a bumpkin, so which is it?

Edit by moderator to remove email so you don't get spammed to death.

Taylor,   Welcome to MSW 😁 

Never, and I mean NEVER, post your email address.   I am sure a moderator will remove it for you, but if you see this soon, go to edit and remove it to avoid unwanted spam.

If you research some contemporary contracts you will likely get the spelling for that era.   One  example from a contract from an earlier time, October 14, 1808 for the HMS Astrea.  Spelling and grammar are as found in the contract.

To fix Bumpkins for the Fore Tack, cut Holes for the Gammoning, and to finish the Head with Timbers, Gratings, Seats and Fenders, all compleat, in the handsomest Manner, and equal to Ships of her Class built in His Majesty’s Yards.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU