Which kit manufacturer is best?

Shazmira

Hahahahaha.  We sound like battling salesmen.  She may not be able to use the additional LUCKY13 code because of the sale but it's worth having/trying.

Now, for the next 10 minutes only, I have a great deal on a bridge in Brooklyn  :D  :D

Yeah.. but a for a limited time only... wait for it.... GINSU KNIVES!!!!!!!  post-76-0-10388000-1362897288.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HEY------ I still have one of those knives in my tool box, circa 1973.  Still cuts beer cans (not so sure about tomatoes).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I am sorry Augie, you can't sell a bridge unless you own it. I bought it several years ago from a guy who gave me a great deal. Although I am still waiting for the title card.

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

I would add my 2c worth and say Euromodels from Italy are the best.

Wow! Just checked them out. I love the HMS Royal William....now to find the money to fund it!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn

Join us take a walk on the so called dark side.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/52-hms-triton-28-gun-frigate/

It's nice, it's all there and not a huge life investment. If you have build a kit you might already have most of the equipment. If you need to buy a tool or two, odds are you will use it on the next kit build, if you go back that is.

Ok, kits I like modelshipsways kits, a large step above most of the rest that I've seen. Have not had the pleasure of working with a Blue Jacket kit yet. Still something is not right on most of the kits that's why I'm trying the above HMS Triton.

Good Luck and look for something that will give YOU enjoyment and pleasure not hard times.

Later 42rocker

Seems I have been walking on the edges of that dark side, as I bash the metal pieces provided in my kit. Seems I am finding my creative side and developing ways to make my own parts lol

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn... A word of caution... Before you drop a couple thou. on the RW, if you have not already done so, download the tutorial from the Euromodels website. For me it was a bit of a wake-up call. A "hang on a minute here" moment. Not saying this to scare you off what I think is a good build... Just get a sense of the magnitude of this one.

And www.agesofsail.com has her for $1400 or so.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy I did as you suggested...in many ways I think the Euromodels are a blend of scratch and kit building.... I am guessing you have never seen the instruction book that comes with an Artesania Latina kit....trust me, the instructions given by Euromodels are much, much, much, better than what AL provides. For example, I was reading the EM instructions for the Royal William and on the first page where it tells of deck planking, it goes into minute detail of how to lay out the planks and the tapers needed for each. My Al instructions for the SF II, simply state plank the decks, then go on and say plank the hull lol. At least Em seems to have the details worked out for the builder which could be a blessing to some and a nuisance to others.

But seriously, I don't have a couple thous, or even $1400 to drop on a build of that magnitude at this time. But, they do have the friedrick wilhelm or the mordaunt, which age of sails also carries at around $700, or maybe even the Cocca at $400 which is more in my budget right now. I think what I like about EM is that if my dog eats one of the parts, I can contact them and get a replacement....which I don't seem to be able to do with an AL kit.

But, I am still just kind of looking around yet...still have plenty of time before I finish my SF 2 yet. But the idea of a Euromodel is intriguing....as so far I haven't been able to find a single build log on here for one.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Another call from the dark side. No major tools required. You can always say this is what a battle station looks like from your current model. Directions and help are right here on this website. The Battle Station which uses simple tools and does not need a jig saw as your not cutting frames. If after reviewing or making this then think about a cross section.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/374-building-a-battlestation-by-russell-barnes-plans-and-guide/

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

I always wondered why Euromodels kits are so expensive. Maybe someone has some experience with them? I did notice that it costs less to order one form overseas, even with shipping included.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Robbyn,

As a matter of fact.. I have done a couple of AL kits.... way back when I was much younger... don't ask, they turned out terrible by today's standards :P

Believe me, I was not trying to discourage you from challenging yourself, just trying to share my experiences. This all goes back to last summer when I was contemplating which ship to build after I finished my Pegasus.. I settled on the USF Confederacy (you might consider that one too), at the time the RW teutorial kind of scared the crap out of me (not litterally of course, I just shied away from the amount of work involved). There where very few buld logs of Euromodel Kits on the old forum, and fewer if any now.

Another option you might consider is one of the Victory (Amati) models, Pegasus, Fly, or Mercury (even Vanguard if you're up for it) lots of online assistance here for those ships.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, no worries, I am not the least bit discouraged...hand injury and all, this hobby is what I eat, sleep, and dream about non-stop. I am not afraid of intricate and detailed things...I am only afraid of the costs involved! I have been considering the pegasus, and the fly....I just haven't quite decided which way I am going to jump yet.

More fuel for Russ and Rocker to use against me to pull me over to the darkside....I must admit, the thought of that is getting more appealing every day! I just need to acquire the proper tools and I then I can jump.  I will need to attend some more estate auctions....I could have owned a scroll saw for $10 on the last one, but then I wasn't thinking about modeling  ;)

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Corel kits have never let me down with respect to the kit contents.....plans and instructions need special attention, however. The more expensive kits include beautiful walnut material with perfect edges. I'd really like to try the Le Renommee from Euromodel but costs are a major consideration , gotta' pay attention to sales.......the pics however of this kit leave me salivating.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Robbyn, I've often wondered, if you had a set of CAD plans, what the cost would be to get it laser cut. I guess it would depend on complexity, but I imagine a POB would not cost too much. I'm thinking solely in terms of the keel and bulkheads. At least it would get you started scratch building without having to go all out on costly power tools. Just a thought to consider.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

What I really need is a friend with the equipment to cut the keel and bulkheads for me. I could supply the wood and template, and just get them to cut them out. Then I think I would be set, it easy enough for me to carve out many of the small pieces with just a wood chisel and blade, and planking, decking, masts and fittings and the like are readily available from suppliers...I know, I know, the dark side is calling loudly!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn

To make things worse, Model Expo has the wood strips precut. A hand jewelers saw for the major pieces and buy precut strips as needed and you could give the battle station a try. Cannon might be a problem. Where your teaching do they offer any shop classes?? A fellow teacher???

Take a long look at the Battle Station on either website.

Hope that your hand is better.

As far as kits go I still like model expo / model shipways stuff. One that is being done as a group on this website is Chuck's """18th Century Lonboat, True Plank-on-frame"""

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1457

Enjoy Life..

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Uh-oh... drums along the Mohawk and all that.  I hear the call..."darkside...darkside".  Robbyn, when it hit's, it hits.  No one can talk you into it or (worse) out of it.  :)  :)  :)   Been there, done that, have sawdust all over the place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Uh-oh... drums along the Mohawk and all that.  I hear the call..."darkside...darkside".  Robbyn, when it hit's, it hits.  No one can talk you into it or (worse) out of it.  :)  :)  :)   Been there, done that, have sawdust all over the place.

I can hear the steady drum beat... :)

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

nice info, good read I'm thinking for my first build, shipways syren  from I can see the

Instructions are very good and I think that will be a good learning curve I'm just shopping around for one

Current Build-HMS Lady Nelson -1805-victory model-1:64

nice info, good read I'm thinking for my first build, shipways syren  from I can see the

Instructions are very good and I think that will be a good learning curve I'm just shopping around for one

Its currently $250 on Model Expo with the mad13 code.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I really do like those Euromodel kits...as for the instructions being in Italian, there is a free PDF to download in English, and they are extensive and detailed. My only problem is the cost....but I am in the process of saving now. I still have a long way to go on my current build, and I have ordered Chucks 18th century longboat and have my sights set on his Pinnace as well. I am also beginning work on the scratch battle station, and am contemplating the scratch Triton cross section. The plan is that by the time I complete at least two of those I will have both the money, and more experience under my belt to tackle a Euromodel. Then the question be which kit, the Mordaunt, or the Freidrich Wilhelm. I like both of those kits, and each offers different things that grab my eye. I wish I could do the Royal William, but don't see myself as having that kind of money any time real soon (meaning in the next 3 years lol).

I think what I would really love to find is a NEW model...one no one has done before. I want the challenge of adapting techniques from other models to mine, plus I just want the challenge of trying something no one else has done as yet.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I just looked at the Euromodel manual that is available to download

It looks super!  with that and the English translation of the basic instructions,

they go high on my list of who to buy that "expensive" model from if my skills

ever improve.

The Mordaunt is a nice looking model. I like the stern.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Yes, I love the stern of the Mordaunt, and the color. The Friedrich...I love the bow details and the contrast of the dark pieces. I believe the pdf instructions of the Euromodels are excellent and with all the explanation, detail, and diagrams to illustrate exactly what the instructions are saying, it definitely makes building one of their models do-able for even a non-expert! Makes it  bit less risky of an investment if you know what I mean.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

In the pictures of the finished Friedrich Wilhelm it looks like the lower gun deck is finished?

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Suppose money is not an object, which model and mfg. would you purchase. Keeping the scale between 50 and 100.

Edited by Billl

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

If money were not an object...it would be a toss up between Euromodels, Royal William, and I think it is a Panart Sovereign of the Sea

Both run around $1200-1400

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station