Greetings

My steady stream of questions never seem to end.

I study build logs many times a week as well as the other forums to learn all that I can.  One problem that I have and must have missed the solution is how to drill straight holes through dowels, in particular the sides.

I make a lot of ships in a bottles (these are very thin dowels) for grand-kids and silent auctions at charity groups.  When working on any scale ship, accurate placement of mast or spar holes is essential.

I have created "V's" out of wood to cradle the dowel and help to center it, but then the very thin drill bits will often bend and roll off target.  I have filed a flat spot to try to help stay on target, but it does not mean that there will be consistent results across all of the stock of dowels. 

I have a Dremel with work station, push drill, and hand drill that I turn manually so there is no shortage of tools or bits.

Any suggestions for consistent results???

Chuck

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

You might try to find something like these:  http://www.micromark.com/4-piece-Center-Drill-Set,7952.html   I'm not sure how small you want to go....  Have you tried center tapping using a small nail?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Try clamping the dowel in a small vise and use an awl to make a centre mark.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I would use a knife point to get the hole centered and then use a twist drill while holding the dowel in your hand. Go slow and there should not be a problem.

Russ

A v-style clamping jig centered and mounted over the drill hole in your drill-press table, with the dowel fed up from underneath to the right height? Guaranteed repeatable results every time. :) Provided you have a drill press of course.  :rolleyes:

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck

Sounds like you have a dremel set up as a drill press.

I'd suggest putting a block against a fence and drilling a hole through a block the size of your spar then turn it over keeping the same edge of the block against your fence and drill a cross hole the size you want to drill through the dowel. Using the fence this way will ensure the centres are aligned.

Slip your dowel into the block, align it to the fence and when you drill the dowel, the block will stop the bit wandering as it starts into the dowel.

Mark

Mark D

I use a bulletin board pin to make the center mark. Indent it in just enough to get a small twist drill started.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Chuck, try a jig made from scrap square.  Drill out / bore the square first to the size of your dowel  (if you have a mate with a lathe get them to do it - much more accurate), then cut it in half.  This makes the placement and holding of the round dowels much easier.  You can have several sizes all ready to go. Select the appropriate size, hold it vertically/horizontally in a vice and centre it (again easier using the square).

A couple of tips; cut dowels to a minimum workable length - the longer the piece the harder to keep it aligned for the vertical bore.  For horizontal drilling, use the same jig - again much easier to find the centre line.  For regular  (repeatable) positioning of these holes use a stop for the round dowel once you have measured up for the first drill. As long as you have taken the time to make the square (jig) centred the rest is a production line effort.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Mark's suggestion of using a center drill is spot on. They come in a variety of sizes and obviously work best in a drill press. You can get them extremely small. For example: http://www.webmachinist.net/centerdrilldimensions.html

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the link, Greg. I didn't know they went THAT small... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)