Truly awful question (thread from kits)

achuck49

This question will get me banned for life, but I have been bounced out of any number of places by very angry fathers.

So many model makers send thread that looks like the attached photo.  I used to try to salvage it, because of incorrect reasoning concerning "supposed to be this way";  now I toss it out.

Is there a way to untangle this mess or is donating it to the land fill the proper battle plan?

Chuck 

post-3838-0-25598200-1420843513_thumb.jpg

If you think untangling rope is difficult, try fine braided fishing line - now there is a nightmare. I have found that the combination of a lot of patience (as model builders we are all patient people.... aren't we???) combined with tweezers and picking tools from the dental set I bought from Ebay a while ago worked quite well. I am also a strong believer in removing kit supplied thread from the card or plastic bag (on/in which it is often supplied) and transferring it to old fashioned cotton reels. Although still quite cheap, for some reason they have become collectable and are often found in antique/collectable shops. I have got some really good cotton thread from these sources in the past.

post-1505-0-21516900-1420855597_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-74871400-1420855669_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

If you're a patient person and have a few days to play around with it, what the heck, go for it. But speaking for myself, I'm with Brian on this and don't or won't use kit-supplied rope. On a lighter note, if you have a teenager around that you'd like to keep out of your hair for a while, there's a perfect project for them.  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

If you're a patient person and have a few days to play around with it, what the heck, go for it. But speaking for myself, I'm with Brian on this and don't or won't use kit-supplied rope. On a lighter note, if you have a teenager around that you'd like to keep out of your hair for a while, there's a perfect project for them.  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

Of give it to the ship's cat.  It'll get stretched and spread from one end of the house to the other.   Then you can just reel it up. :)

I believe I have found a solution to this problem.  

I carefully took the mass of line and formed it into a large circle trying not to pull tight on any loose pieces.  I placed that wad of line loosely over a toilet paper tube and determined which end was on the outside of the wad.  I carefully unwound the line, trying not to tug, from the toilet paper roll while my wife wrapped it tightly around another piece of cardboard.

It took only a few minutes to get the line onto the piece of cardboard, you can use any type of spool large enough to hold the line.  Now I can unwind it as needed without any snarls or knots.