For the lower band, I started with the garboard plank.  It fits inside the rabbet and it will be easier to match planks once it is in.  Some very minor spiling since the keel is not flat. Some high temp. twisting and it laid in there nicely.  This was the easiest garboard I've installed so far (Chuck's rabbet technique)...We'll see how the next plank above lines up.  The plans show the plank in three sections but I used only two, matching the pattern of the butt joints. 

Maury

post-923-0-85163200-1438713980_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-72223100-1438713992_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-32853600-1438714010_thumb.jpg

The next plank above the garboard went in smoothly.  Looks good from head-on too.  I'm going to work on the upper part of the band next.  There will be some tricky cutting to make the transition at the stern post.

Maury

post-923-0-30963700-1438883598_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the likes and comments.  Druxey, that is one of my concerns...floating planks.  I'll spend lots of time on the fit of that run of the strake. 

Maury

The transition at the stern went well.  It took a very tiny wedge as a filler on both sides, and once sanded it will look great.  I got another strake in at the bottom.  Six more to go.

Maury

post-923-0-65857600-1439251799_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-18796500-1439251810_thumb.jpg

i spiled the pieces to strake #12 (from the top) but I wont install them just yet.  I'm keeping them in reserve so when I finish the remaining strakes in the band from the bottom, up, I'll have at least one perfect edge to work with.  If I go all the way up or down to finish the strakes, I may have a problem getting a perfect pattern on one of the remaining edges. 

Maury

post-923-0-33701700-1439348496_thumb.jpg

Working my way up from the garboard plank.  Four more strakes to go.  Everything going smoothly so far.  I'll sand out the rough spots once the planking is done.

Maury

post-923-0-57101500-1439908836_thumb.jpg

your doing great, I am just starting my planking and it is well worth seeing your approach to it.-thanks

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

• 4 years later...

Just came across this again....Maury are you gonna keep going at some point.  Its a fine looking model.

Maybe start over.  I'm not happy with my planking.

M