Is it okay to use Balsa rather then basswood for filler blocks? I am starting with the Fair American and the Armed Virginia Sloop from Model Shipways. Does it really matter if I use one or the other? I have a very limited tool supply and no power tools yet. So I was hoping to use the balsa for that. Especially in the bow where I have to shape everything correctly. I wasn't sure if that was okay or not thanks. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

I used both on the AVS, and I will not use balsa in the future, as I find it did very little to help me.  The basswood offers a very nice base for pinning to when planking, whereas the balsa was about the same as the areas without anything between the bulkheads.  It does give you a 'shape' of course, so if that's all you want then balsa is fine, but I found the basswood easier to work with all around.

I did not use any power tools to shape the basswood, just hand saw to rough shape, X-acto type blades and sandpaper.

I have used balsa as filler blocks. I found it worked better for pinning planks into if several coats of thinned wood glue were soaked into it and allowed to dry first. This made it a firmer base.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina