USS Constitution by Jeff - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

Hi Jeff. With your experience and workmanship it will be more like a step than a jump!  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty. I guess the only way to learn is to do.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

On my way over Mark. I hear the instructions for scratch building are way better.  :)

Well.. they are what you make them to be.  :P  :P :P  But after building this ship, you're ready as this one is a lot of scratching.  I did 2 builds that convinced me that scratch was doable.  But then, I'm still learning.    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I suspect I'll mess up every part at least once, so I'm going too need a large supply of wood.  :)  :)

Seriously though, the Conny has been a learning experience, so I know I can do it. I will have to learn some new skills though.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks Mathew! I think the brass looks good and gives nice contrast. It makes those little details easier to see with the naked eye.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jeff, impressive work as to be expected. I enjoy reading your log. If you have an opportunity could you email the address of Warner Woods. Does he have a list or price list of what he has to offer also?

thanks,

texxn5@aol.com

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

If I might interject, Warner Woods West does not have a website. You can reach him at

warwoods@infowest.com

and he will send you his price list

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thanks JS! John - JS is correct. Just send him an email and he will send you the price list and order form. You will have to mail the order to him if I remember correctly.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 months later...

I just recently found this forum (MSW) and will be following your build closely.  I am currently debating on doing this ship as my next project. Currently building the AL Constellation. (Sorry - not real impressed with the kit but learning a lot).
Your work is EXCELLENT and I can only hope to follow your lead. I have a long way to go....
Thanks for posting your build....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Thanks RoadRunner! I have been a bit neglectful of the model as of late but she will resume eventually. Hit a couple of frustrating areas and decided to put her aside for a little while. I have not been completely idle though.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Its a little detail really. I'm in the process of rigging the guns and I chose to drill holes in the ends of the 3/32" blocks to install the hook. After destroying a dozen blocks and successfully completing only one, I gave up for now...I'm building up the courage to try again. If there is a easy way to drill that hole, I would like to know what it is. :)

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

its really does look great so far 1 day i want to do that kits is that the one thats 48inch long thats a real big kit  keep up the great work

Jeff,

A couple of questions. . .

-Do you clamp the block in something before you drill?

-What size bit is it, and are you using a pin vise or a Dremel or something else?

-Have you marked the drill point on the block with something sharp (so the drill has a good starting point)?

-How are the blocks being destroyed when you drill them?

-Do I ask too many questions??? :P

My very limited experience with drilling something that small and precise, the object needs to be held so it can't move (I'm thinking some kind of clamp with soft jaws), the drill need some type of pilot hole so it won't wander (that's what I suspect is destroying your blocks), a very concentric drill/bit, and a slow but controlled bit feed rate. I've broken a lot of #78-79-80 bits recently because I haven't been able to get a slow and constant feed rate of the bit.

I hope that helps, or that somebody else will chime in with some better advice.

But walking away from the problem for a while can really help too.

Thanks,

Harvey

My fingers have been the clamp. The blocks are so small that clamping them is difficult. However, I might be able to find a way. Maybe clamping them in the end of a hemostat might work. The blocks get ruined because I end up chewing up the end of the block trying to drill them. Maybe I'll post a topic and see how others have approached this little task.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff- you may want to look at getting some hackle plyers. Fly tying shops sell many different models. I've used mine to hold my blocks and assit with rigging. They average $9 a pair and will come in handy

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Jeff- you may want to look at getting some hackle plyers. Fly tying shops sell many different models. I've used mine to hold my blocks and assit with rigging. They average $9 a pair and will come in handy

Thanks. I will definitely look into that option.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy birthday m8

50 today .dont look a day over 25 :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 1 month later...

I like the touch of actually installing the pair of "four holers" in the bow. I just found out that's where the men did their business and wondered why my kit didn't call for them. Nice work in accuracy. I knew the Captain's privy was in the gallery. 

Speaking of the "four holers" or "seats of ease" does anyone have photos of the actual ship's seats? I've googled everything I could think of, but haven't turned up any images.

JS,

I have a complete set of the 1932 engineering drawings of the last major Connie rebuild.  It shows two sets of three "seats of ease".  I tried to attached a .jpg scan, but kept getting Error 500, whatever that means.  I also have a scan of the Crew's Head from Karl Marquardt's "Anatomy of the Ship, which shows two sets of four seats.  I am trying to finish the last of the rigging on a Mantua 1:96 scale Connie and it shows only two seats total.  So, I guess you can pick whichever one suits your fancy.

Bob

Bob

Current Build:  Mantua "USS Constitution - 1797"

Pending:  Model Shipways "USS Constitution"

Completed:  Model Shipways "USF Essex -1799"

Model Shipways "New Bedford Whale Boat"

Billings "Zwarta Zee" (RC)

BlueJacket "Sequin" Tugboat (RC)

I appreciate the scan effort.  You might want to let the scanner default to what ever format it wants (usually pdf) and attach the file(s) in an email to me. I'll see if I can convert it to jpg and share it with the rest of the readers.

I too have the Karl Marquardt's "Anatomy of the Ship" as well as the plans that came from my Model Shipways (unopened) model. It's always helpful to have actual photos of the real thing as the final judge as to what really exists on the ship. Right now I'm gathering up my resources for the Conny build once I complete my Rattlesnake.

Thanks

Jon

Bob,

If you're using IE 11, roll back to IE 10.  For some bizarre reason, IE 11 and the forum software are incompatible at this point.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)