USS Constitution by Jeff - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

• 2 months later...

Finally an update! I've been working multiple projects so progress is a little slow. I managed to get all the hooks on the blocks. I ended up drilling them since Chucks blocks were a lot easier to drill. I had to figure out a way to hold everything in place while I drilled. I ended up using a vice with hemostats and an alligator clip to hold the blocks. I tried to use just the hemostats at first but they clamp to tightly and end up breaking blocks. I don't want to bore you with a bunch of rigged gun picks but here is where I am at the moment.

Here is my setup:

20190409_184726.thumb.jpg.d9d92f36d30f044b94c599ef2ac2163a.jpg

Here I finished rigging the first gun. You can see the difference between the warner blocks on the left and Chucks blocks on the right. Chucks blocks have nicer detail IMHO and are easier to work with, particularly when drilling.

20190616_193325.thumb.jpg.b5d7e34bae903f2d07fb613d0d1d24e2.jpg

Two guns complete, twenty to go. I'm also working on installing the pin racks simultaneously. As you can see I have to pop out some of the rivets to install the racks. I need to touch up the paint there. Hopefully I can find the color since I no longer have any. I'm pretty sure it was either floquil or badger reading green. Hopefully I can still find some.

20190618_191840.thumb.jpg.d9f47e5ac4cdbd836d6c874429768c8a.jpg

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff,

Before you proceed with the rest of your cannons, correct please the rigging of the blocks! I don't know why, but you've rigged the Warner's block correctly, but the Chuck's blocks incorrectly. At least your pics show it such.

Pass the rigging line through the holes that are nearer to the wire hooks rather that those further away. Sorry...

Regards,

Thomas

Edited by Dziadeczek

48 minutes ago, Dziadeczek said:

Jeff,

Before you proceed with the rest of your cannons, correct please the rigging of the blocks! I don't know why, but you've rigged the Warner's block correctly, but the Chuck's blocks incorrectly. At least your pics show it such.

Pass the rigging line through the holes that are nearer to the wire hooks rather that those further away. Sorry...

Regards,

Thomas

The warner blocks only had one set of holes to pass through. If that's the right way to do it then I'll have to fix that.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Lloyd Warner only drilled one pair of holes in his double blocks, because the other pair (of holes) will not be visible (or be nearly invisible) under the rope passed through the block anyway.

I am sure, you know that inside the slot cut through the block, there is a sheave upon which the rope rolls.  In order for the rope to roll, it has to be passed ON top of the sheave (pulley) and not under it.

Here is a couple of pics showing it in detail. Hope it helps.    :)  

Regards,

Thomas

065 32 pd. carronades & 24 pd. bowchaser.jpg

66980608-detail-of-an-old-wooden-pulley-with-ropes-hanging-on-a-boom-of-an-old-sailing-boat.jpg

Edited by Dziadeczek

Lovely work Jeff. Out of curiosity, how did you anchor the guns to deck to achieve the taught rigging? 

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, JSGerson said:

Lovely work Jeff. Out of curiosity, how did you anchor the guns to deck to achieve the taught rigging? 

I used CA to glue the carriages to the deck.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Mischief managed. It was more difficult than I expected. The hook is in a little too far in the block and is blocking the hole near the hook on the blocks. It took some work but finally got the rigging through. Luckily the wire is soft and I was able to drill through it with a mini drill bit. I suspect I'm going to have this problem with more of my blocks with hooks installed. Live and learn.

20190619_193657.thumb.jpg.12043784708819bf91ca16af7e06553b.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the 3 guns at the starboard bow, the pin racks and also installed some cleats. There were no cleats included with the kit for some reason. The ones I used are some I bought from model expo a few years ago. I'm going to jump over to my medway longboat for a bit and then work on the port side bow guns.

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.47019a02afa107650bef395c58c85aaa.JPG

The belaying pin racks have to be scratch built as once again there aren't any parts in the kit. I put little metal pins in the racks to help secure them to the model. I was worried that they would fall off.

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.56276acf60a9b1dad6f4af1ab0486a4d.JPG

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Really like your cannon rigging details as they are very clean and distinctive detailing.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

1 hour ago, Jonathan11 said:

Really like your cannon rigging details as they are very clean and distinctive detailing.

Thanks Jonathan

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 months later...

Finally another update. I finished rigging the guns at the bow. I also finished the pin racks and installed some cleats. Time to move toward the stern and rig the guns as well as install the pin racks. There are another 16 guns to rig and twelve pin racks to build so this may take me a while. 😏

IMG_0030.JPG

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Nice clean look

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

Very nice build!  I will watch for updates.

Thank you

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Looking good, Jeff.  I hope you get some more time in the shipyard.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very clean Jeff, those blocks look very scale - they must be tiny!! BTW - I just looked at your profile, what kind of guitars do you have/play most? I prefer my Taylor, but I rock my tele every once in a while....

8 hours ago, ASAT said:

Very clean Jeff, those blocks look very scale - they must be tiny!! BTW - I just looked at your profile, what kind of guitars do you have/play most? I prefer my Taylor, but I rock my tele every once in a while....

Thanks Lou. I prefer PRS guitars and I have two of them, a custom 24 and a SE Tremonti.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looking good, Jeff.  I hope you get some more time in the shipyard.

Thanks Mark. I plan on focusing the majority of my effort on this build for the time being. I really need to get this one done as its been way to long.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Ooooh I used to have a PRS Custom 22 - I really miss that guitar, I’ll forever regret that decision. Are you a Lead guitarist? Do you play anywhere? I pound chords and like to sing.....   We seem to have a lot in common - I worked at the base too....

@JToma, approximately how many hours are you into this build? One of my hopes is to get a Constitution done one day, but alas I have 7 more ships to go before I can start one. But never say never!

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

3 hours ago, Jonathan11 said:

@JToma, approximately how many hours are you into this build? One of my hopes is to get a Constitution done one day, but alas I have 7 more ships to go before I can start one. But never say never!

Hi Jonathan. I can't really say for sure. Its been a few years (maybe more than a few) since I first started working on this model kit and it sat idle for a long time too. I know I've got a lot of hours into it though.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 months later...

Another update: I've finally finished rigging the guns, installing pin racks, and installing chocks. I still have a few deck details that need to be finished such as the steps on the interior transom and bow area and the fife rails. I'm going to make a list and try to organize into what order I should do them in. I also need to finish the top gallant rail.

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.566be22a340d078d155df17bb91d71ab.JPG

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.cd9d04197d80dc6566b6f7efa4f60a12.JPG

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard