USS Constitution by Jeff - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

Another update. I am continuing to work on deck details. I have finished with the capstan and the mast boots and I'm now assembling carronades. The practicum was really confusing for carronades. It suggested edge gluing 2 pieces of 3/16 stock to make the center piece and then glue the sides to the top of the center piece. The plans show that the side pieces are glued to the edges of the center piece and not the top. Also the centerpiece should be 1/4" stock. I went with the plans. The assembly is pretty straight forward so I won't go into great detail. I have all of them built and painted now and I'm currently adding the casters and barrels. I had a heck of a time finding a color that looked right but settled on what you see in the pictures. I still need to build the ships wheel and will need to rig the carronades. There are 80 blocks that need to be rigged. I need minions to do that stuff. The blocks provided in the kit are a bit large and honestly just look plain ugly, so I will order some replacements. Thats it for now.

These are the parts for the carronades.

post-220-0-91117300-1362612573.jpg

Parts with one assembled and painted. My adviser has suggested I leave the brass unpainted since its pretty.

post-220-0-49204400-1362612622.jpg

Some partially assembled. You can also see the capstan and one of the mast boots.

post-220-0-31865500-1362612667.jpg

The following is my highly technical way of painting a bunch of little things. These are the casters for the carronades.

Two-sided tape on card stock.

post-220-0-29642000-1362612786.jpg

Primed.

post-220-0-00756700-1362612802.jpg

Painted.

post-220-0-16654300-1362612815.jpg

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks Geoff and 42rocker. The blocks will be tedious so if I do one carronade per day I should be done in 20 days. :)  It might be time to start that side project I've been thinking about to break things up a bit.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff,

I finished my carronades recently, and it was quite the challenge-especially since I decided to make my own blocks and eyebolts.

You have a good idea in starting a side project while doing the carronades. It can be tedious and repetative.

Looks really good!

Thanks,

Harvey

Update. I finished building all the carronades and the two cannons. Not too difficult but tedious. I think the kit design for the two cannons could have been better. There are two parts that had to be scratch built that probably could have been laser cut. Oh well...I managed. I have not started rigging them yet. I plan to order some replacement blocks first. I also built the ships wheel. All the wood parts have to be built from scratch. The practicum suggested using styrene. I chose to use wood as I saw on another build log (thanks Jay). Now I move on to the skylight.

As a side note, I plan on starting on a side project that will be known as my "long build". I have had that particular ship on the shelf for a while and have been dying to get started on it. Right now I'm assembling the framing jig that came with the kit. That's pretty boring so I won't be posting that in a build log. Once I start work on the actual model I'll start the log.

Armed and dangerous!

post-220-0-10934300-1363139970.jpg

post-220-0-18595200-1363139988.jpg

post-220-0-66280400-1363139996.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Nice work, Jeff. I like the detailing you are doing.
Keep it up, my friend. Everything looks crisp and there are no flaws that I can see. :D

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Stunning work there, Jeff.

I can only hope my Connie looks that good one day.

B)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks for the kind comments Geoff and CaptainSteve. I'm sure the rigging is going to be a lot of fun.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff - I managed to visit the Constitution a couple of weekends ago anf have a couple of pictures of the carronades/rigging if that would be helpful, let me know.  Everything is looking great!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason. Your pictures would be very helpful. I visited there a few years ago and took a lot of pictures. Lost them all to a hard drive failure. :(

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff

I know how you feel. Building the Constitution is a long project. But I promised myself I would finish her first. I know if I start another project it would be a longer pull for the Conny.  I also have the Kingfisher kit and am thinking strongly of doing Greg's Echo cross section as a lead into the Kingfisher build.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

I know what you mean Geoff. The Kingfisher is one that I plan to take plenty of time with. I want to make sure I do the ship justice, even if it means doing things over and over. I'll be striving for perfection (we'll see how that goes).That's why it will be my long build and something I work on when time allows. My focus will be on the Conny until i get her done. Right now I'm just working on the build board that came with the kingfisher kit. That thing is a project of its own and that brown particle board is messy stuff.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Will do Geoff! Glad to hear you got that bowsprit figured out.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I'm jealous that you guys have the Kingfisher :(.  I guess I'll just have to make do with the Caldercraft Agamemnon that my wife wants me to get started on when I reach a good point on the Connie. :D

Thanks,

Harvey

Now I'm jealous. Theres nothing wrong with the CC Agamemnon. She's a beauty!

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

To come back to rigging the cannons on your Conny. You will be happy that you are getting better blocks. I thought they were much better looking for the cannons.

When you think about it, some of us are not creating 'museum pieces' and the average person seeing the model is going to zero in on: Sails, Overall rigging, and Cannons! Maybe even not in that order. But in my opinion, the cannons should be done well. Even including cannon balls make it even more 'whow'.

Ok, so it is not the person who sees the model that you are concerned about, but by the same token, we are all interested in making it look good. Keep up making it look good, Jeff. Just like you are doing.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jeff, you will have beautiful ship.

Do you have a problem when gluing painted parts?

Hrvoje...I have no problems with gluing painted parts. In fact I think the paint helps the parts stick a little better when using CA. I just rough them up a little bit.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks Jay. Most people will zoom in on the coolest stuff. Chances are most people will never see what we see. I think the blocks will make a world of difference.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Very nice neat and clean build you have going here Jeff....

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Looking great Jeff.  I like the lighter color of your deck. 

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale