USS Constitution by Jeff - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

Thanks Jay, Geoff, and Wacko.

I have a soldering iron that allows me to adjust the temperature, so I hope that does the trick. I also have some scrap brass that I can use for practicing. I finished carving the interior of one boat last night. It took me a couple hours. It wasn't easy and I ended up doing it all by hand. I tried using the dremel like Bob showed but quickly found out that is too risky. Those burrs might be the answer Geoff, thanks!

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Jeff, do you have to pass some sort of multi day written theory and practical test? :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Congratulations Jeff on your appointment as Moderator. I know you'll do an outstanding job in this role.

Congrats Jeff, do you have to pass some sort of multi day written theory and practical test? :)

Yeah, we had to do some crazy stuff. It was like trying to get into a fraternity. :)

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Lol, I know Geoff. I'm due another update soon. I finished shaping the boats and need to work some magic with wood filler to finish the little guys. I also received my blocks from warner yesterday so I'll be able to start rigging the guns.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I received my new blocks from Warner Woods today and below is a picture to show the comparison between them and the ME blocks. The blocks are 3/32" and 1/8". I included the number 11 exacto in the picture for scale. Following that is a picture of the current state of the ships boats. They are shaped and ready for some wood filler to hide all the imperfections before painting.

Here are the blocks, 3/32 at the top and 1/8 at the bottom:

post-220-0-00711800-1366507022_thumb.jpg

Boats:

post-220-0-72491200-1366507039_thumb.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...

I received my new blocks from Warner Woods today and below is a picture to show the comparison between them and the ME blocks.

Hi Jeff, those blocks are a dramatic improvement, do you happen to have a link to the website where you got them?  Cheers

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jeff

Great to see your progress on the boats, now all you have to do is fill them. The warner blocks are definitely an improvement from the kit blocks. For the kit I think scale is an issue. If you look at the instructions, it says to use the same size blocks for two or three different block sizes. Thats why in the future I think I will try build models in the 1/48 scale or larger so you can add the kind of details you what.

As you know I am in the masting and rigging section of the build. Still working on the yards, but I plan on making all my own rigging lines. I ran into the same problems with the rigging lines as the blocks. The kit comes with about six or so different size rigging lines. If you look at the plans there are about 12 or more rigging sizes. The kit again says to use one size line for several sizes of line. I know this is a scale issue, not much difference form .006 to .008 line.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Hi Jeff, those blocks are a dramatic improvement, do you happen to have a link to the website where you got them?  Cheers

They are from Warner Woods and he doesn't have a website. He operates via email and postal service. His email is: warwoods@infowest.com

I have the order forms and can email them to you if you want.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi, helmsman,

I'm following your very interesting topic.

Your Connie is beautiful, and I take a lot of ideas and solution for my one.

Thanks!

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks Wayne and Geoff. I'm going to experiment with different line sizes to see what works best for the size of the hole in the new blocks. I plan to use as much of the kit supplied rigging lines as I can.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff,

You have done a fantastic job on shaping those boat hulls.

Enjoy fitting them out !!

BTW, I wouldn't mind a copy of the Warner Woods order form if possible (will PM my e-mail).

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Jeff,

You have done a fantastic job on shaping those boat hulls.

Enjoy fitting them out !!

BTW, I wouldn't mind a copy of the Warner Woods order form if possible (will PM my e-mail).

thanks! i had to order some styrene to finish them. send me your email an i'll send the forms.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while since I updated my log so here we go. I have been working on the ship although progress has been slow lately due to other obligations like gardening and yard projects. I had to prep and put down 500 square feet of sod and I built a garden area.

Anyway, I've been skipping around a bit on the various things I need to do on the model, most likely to avoid rigging guns and making chainplates. I started working on making the belaying pin racks and installing the chocks. Frustratingly enough there are no chocks included with the kit, no cast ones, no wooden ones, nothing. I am irritated by that. Fortunately I have some cast ones laying around that I can use.

I also finally built a stand.

Here is the belaying pin rack at the bow.

post-220-0-31318300-1369530217_thumb.jpg

I have assembled two of the four racks required for the fore mast. Below the rack in the picture you can see what I think is a mooring chock. I managed to get it to fit although the maker of the practicum wasn't able to do so. You can also see the eyebolts installed for gun rigging. I decided not to use the rigging parts made from styrene as recommended by the practicum and just go with eyebolts.

post-220-0-92490000-1369530337_thumb.jpg

Here is the stand. A chunk o' teakwood with cradles made from mahogany.

post-220-0-38482300-1369530393_thumb.jpg

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

impressive work Jeff, nice to see some progress again.  I'm curious where you got the wood from to make the cradles and the base, it looks great.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Jason. I found the teakwood on ebay and the cradles were cut from a 1/4" sheet of mahogany I got from model expo.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks Geoff. I guess I'm just getting weary of buying things above and beyond whats in the kit. I'm going to do my best to make use of whats there.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I know how you feel. After changeing a lot of the kit parts I feel like I might be ready for a scratch build. :dancetl6:

Exactly what I'm thinking. Its time to go down that road.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

You guys might as well come over the darkside.  Only difference between many kits and scratching are the instructions...  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)