1949 Chris Craft 19' Racing Runabout by gjdale - FINISHED -Dumas - Radio - 1:8 Scale

sweet look'in boat Grant :)   such a flawless finish!   she's gonna look good on the water ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye, 

I'm looking forward to the weather warming up so that we can go for "sea trials".

• 2 weeks later...

HI Grant,

Great work my friend. Your innovation, skill and hard word produced a wonderful model.

I eagerly await the "sea trials".   

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Really beautiful work Grant.  Very nice job!  It's funny, I was looking at Dumas' Cris-Craft boat kits earlier today and was thinking they might be fun to build - though I think I need to get a little more up the skill curve first.  

What did you think about the kit generally?  Good components?  Seems like you bashed it a bit.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Rusty and Mike.

Rusty - I'm looking forward to sea trials too - won't be long now as the weather is starting to warm up down here.

Mike - overalll, I think the kit is quite good. The use of Sintra (plastic) for the sub-planking is a little unusual for this type of build, and there are both pros and cons for it. You could make this model straight out of the box and have a reallly nice looking boat at the end. Or you can bash to your heart's content. Me? I couldn't help myself. I blame the CDO (that's like OCD, only with the letters in the right alphabetical order!!!!)

• 4 weeks later...

A brief update to say that Sea Trials were successfully conducted today!

The good news:

1. She floats

2. She runs DRY - I checked the internals thoroughly after we'd been running a while and there was no sign of water ingress.

3. She performed quite well - but needs some fine tuning.

4. Battery life was quite good. We had several runs over a 90-minute period and the battery died just as I was bringing her back in - just made it!

The not so good news:

1. For some reason, the servo for the steering was running in reverse, so I had to turn the control to starboard if I wanted to turn to port etc. Found out that this is an easy fix with the remote control set-up, and have now resolved this one.

2. I seem to have been a bit too clever with my steering wheel that turns with the rudder - it actually turns the opposite way to the way it's supposed to :o:default_wallbash::default_wallbash::default_wallbash: (not related to the problem above). Not sure if I'll be able to fix this one.

3. I couldn't get her going fast enough to get up on the plane. :( The local club guys reckon I need a larger propellor (I think they're right). Might also need to add a little ballast to the stern to help lift the bows out of the water. She runs nicely level at the moment, which is great for slow speed work, but hey, this is a RACING runabout.....

I took a brief video of the Sea Trials (the Admiral was driving at this stage - it's HER boat after all). The crew members were not allowed onboard for Sea Trials, but now that certification has been achieved, they will be added for the next spin (with a new prop!). The video was taken with my iPhone. I take no responsibility for the quality of the video.....

[video deleted - see later post for updated video on second round of sea trials.]

Edited by gjdale

Nice one Grant :).

1 hour ago, gjdale said:

I couldn't get her going fast enough to get up on the plane. :( The local club guys reckon I need a larger propellor

Probably. Or a bigger motor - someone once said "There's no such thing as TOO MUCH power", and I agree :D.

1 hour ago, gjdale said:

Might also need to add a little ballast to the stern to help lift the bows out of the water

Are you running a Cav Plate? You might have it adjusted a bit too low. That'll push the bow down.

More likely the problem will fix itself when you get a bit more speed out of her ;).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

That was awesome! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Congrats! Nice and stylish.

I don't think adding weight to the rear is the solution. The bigger prop wil probably do the trick already.

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Thanks Danny, Rusty and Robin (and all the likes).

New prop ordered! Changing over from a 1" diameter to 1.5" diameter - that should help move things along a little.

I'll also be changing over the battery from the current NiCd to LiPo. I'm told that the LiPo batteries perform a lot better, and they have the added bonus of being a fraction of the weight of the NiCd.  Between this and the new prop, I expect she'll go like a scalded cat!

Crew members have also had necessary surgery for a comfortable fit in the boat ;)

I'll post another video once the mods have been made and tested.

from 1" to 1.5" :o do you have enough room to make it spin? that's quite an increase in size ... I did enjoy the ride, youcould have changerd the type to "racing walk about" temporarily ;)

"Crew members have also had necessary surgery for a comfortable fit in the boat" ... have you been busy with scissors and pincers ... (bonsai crew), or just Wonka Vision ...?

Looking forward to the next show ...

cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Grant,

As usual finished build fantastic. 

I have no idea what I propose would work and have o experience since we are dealing with a model boat but the theory may be the same.  If the larger prop does not work it may put you on a plane but lug down where you may not get the speed. It may be you can order or use the first prop and change the pitch?

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Carl, I suspect they've had their feet and lower legs lopped off to fit the seats. A sharp sprue cutter or whatever Doctor Grant deemed appropriate. Model railroaders do the same thing for populating passenger cars. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grant,

When all is said and done your sea trial was just a shake down and it served it's purpose mate. She sits in the water nicely and she's good and dry so your half way there.

With regard to John's comment, he may have a good idea in just changing the pitch of the propeller, a larger prop may unbalance her, but I don't understand the dynamics so I cant really comment.

I'm looking forward to the next trial and keep my fingers crossed you succeed.

I wasn't sure if the Naval ship was standing by to give you a tow or not, just don't try bump starting her will you. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks Mobbsie,

The new propellor arrived yesterday, as have the new batteries. Just need the charger for the batteries and some free time (!) to set up for the next sea trials. Won’t be this weekend, I’m afraid - probably the following one. I’ll try and get some better video this time around too!

• 2 months later...

Can't  believe it's been over two months since I received the new prop and batteries!

Anyway, they were installed some time ago now, but it wasn't until yesterday that I finally got the chance to take her for her second round of sea trials.

Good news - all mods worked as expected. She does indeed now go like a scalded cat - gets up onto the plane very nicely. The client was most satisfied with the sea trials and has accepted final delivery! I took a couple of videos while the 'client' was driving. Just try and get the controls out of her hands now - something about prizing them loose from her cold, dead hands comes to mind......

Hope you enjoy the videos as much as we did making them.

WOW Grant!   the first video didn't work for me,  but the second one did!  she looks awesome on the water........puts up quite a spray!   I think Barbie was a little scared though.....Ken.....you speed demon,  you!  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Get down and boogie ..... that's awesome Grant :D. The "scale" speed even looks right. Now .... how do you get a waterskier up behind her ??? ;)

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks very much Carl, Popeye, Danny and CDW.

Danny - funny you should mention that...................I was just discussing that exact idea with Mobbsie on Skype the other night. It’s do-able but I don’t think I’ll bother..........yet..........;)

• 3 months later...

This is the first RC build that I see where the boat moves like a real thing. Smooth turns, the motor power is just right, it does not fly on top with an overpowered motor. Great work!

• 1 year later...

This boat is a piece of art. Congratulations!

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

I just watched the videos again and that's looks like so much fun. My tick list just keeps getting longer. I've got to add one of the Chris Craft RC models to the list...not only is she gorgeous but she cuts through the water like a hot knife through butter. Awesome! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Bob. This was a fun build and it is fun to be able to take her for a spin once finished as well. There is plenty of scope for making your own mods to the kit too - plenty of rabbit holes to disappear down. Go on, you know you want to........😈😈😈😉