What camera do you use

I haven't done any photography for many years and have now decided to purchase a digital camera and would like to know is it necessary to buy a SLR or will any digital camera do the trick. Do you need to have a Macro setup to get close up shots.

I would greatly appreciate any info in this regard 

I use camera on my cellphone. 5MP is enough - not to oversize MSW limits - but to get clear pictures.

For macro shots I add little cheep Chinese optical lenses in front of cell camera

post-4738-0-56067100-1421671667.jpg

Here are results I get with this technique

Wider look to rudder

post-4738-0-35263700-1421671666.jpg

Detail 

post-4738-0-64153000-1421671764.jpg

Don`t forget - macro shots are our enemy !!!! Mistakes you can not see by your own eyes, are very very visible on macro shots !!!!

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

It all depends upon what you plan to use it for. 

I have a nice Canon DSLR, but photography is one of my hobbies. I also have a moderately priced point and shoot for when I don't want to haul around the DSLR. I can and do use the macro feature on both. 

I find my iPhone more than sufficient for build log photos, but beyond that I don't use it for anything remotely important. It will generally get close enough for my simple documentation photos. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Pretty much what Joe said.  I use a Nikon D3300 DSLR, but for my first build I just used a Canon point and shoot and it worked quite well for build log photo's.  In addition I've seen some really spectacular build log photo's (see Dubz build logs!) taken with an iPhone - the tiny lenses on cell phones and tablets are surprisingly good at taking photo's very close.

I needed a good camera for indoor kid shots, but wanted a point and shoot.  The problem is the small cameras have a very small light sensor.  Some of the newer cameras (more expensive) put a much bigger light sensor in, which improves picture quality considerably.  I bought the Sony RX-100 a year or two ago, and it's been great.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

This is what I use: 

- Canon 5D Mk.3 with these lenses: 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 580EX flash (x2), tripod. 

- Olympus XZ-1 point and shoot

- Sony Xperia Z2 phone (for when I can't be bothered pulling out the big rig). 

The problem with the DSLR is that the depth of field is very shallow. Very good for taking portraits, but when aiming it at a ship, I have to stop it right down to gain DOF. The trouble is, when you stop it down, you start struggling with light. That's when the flash comes in. 

The phone and the P&S have much greater DOF, so more suitable for taking pictures of my model. Because of my problems with DOF with my current lens lineup, I am thinking of getting a wider lens. Maybe a 35mm f/1.4L :) 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I have a canon 50D and take my model ship pics with a canon EFS 17 - 85mm lens. It is a great camera and takes very good pics. My son recently bought a compact DSLR with interchangeable lenses. I think if I had my time over I would investigate this format further. These cameras have the ability - and therefore flexibility - to change lenses like the standard size DSLR but are much smaller and lighter to carry around. Because taking photos of model ships is not ( I assume) the only thing that you will use this camera for, they are worth considering. The only drawback with them - in my opinion - is they don't have a viewfinder (I'm old school and like to have one!) and they are quite expensive when compared to a 'fixed lens' compact camera.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thanks to all the people who have replied to my dilemma with encouragement and advise. You have given me many ideas so I'll continue with more research and hopefully pick up a little knowledge about photography along the way.

Once again thank you

I use a mix of an EOS 40D when I want really nice shots, and my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone camera... I was struggling with the picture quality, espcially in the evenings, for build logs, but then I put a daylight spectrum bulb in my anglepoise lamp, and just moved that around the get plenty of light on the subject, and that's really helped :) Also, if you really want nice shots, then using a tripod, or beanbag with a slow exposure can help get the picture away from the limits of what the camera sensor is happy with, and if you use a time-delay shot, then you won't get camera shake as you hit the shutter button.

I tend to avoid using a flash, because it is hard to get diffused light that won't burn out some bits and leave other bits dark, when the camera's so close to the subject... but that's just my tuppence.

This is on the galaxy s4 with daylight bulb anglepoise

20150103_194943_900_zps53343283.jpg

And this is the Canon EOS 40D (with Speedlite 550EX flash bounced off a white wall and ceiling behind)

_MG_9225_900_zps5569facc.jpg

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

Nice crisp shots. And I second using a tripod.

I third using a tripod.

In my opinion the camera is really secondary (except an iphone or similar). Almost all decent digital cameras give you some options about aperture and all that stuff. But in the long run (after you know how to use the one you have) it is the nice, long exposures that usually give you the best results. Hence, a tripod.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

iPhone 6 for me Dave. I can get in really tight with that. 

Apple rules!

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

: