How do I adjust the gibs on Proxxon MF-70 mill x-y table?

I own a Proxxon MF-70 mill that I bought a number of years ago and have barely used. I wanted to try something the other day with it and realized that in the X dimension, the table is very wobbly. I think that I need to adjust the gibs but I can't quite figure out how. I can see that there are three nuts on the side with what looks like may be some teeny, tiny allen screws in the middle of them. My eyesight isn't that great, but if they are indeed allen screws, I sure don't have a wrench that small. For that matter, I don't have a nut driver small enough either (and there's no way to get a wrench in there). But given that I don't have a clue what I'm doing and can't find any instruction manual (if I ever had one) I need some help understanding how to do this from a more experienced member who also owns this mill. I don't mind buying the tools I need, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing in the first place. The Y dimension seems to be just fine.

Thanks in advance for the help -

John

Hi Jhearl

You can download the xy table manual from the net. Type Proxxon KT 70 compound table manual into your search engine. I found one but I can't get the link to work on this post. How to make adjustments is explained (briefly) in the manual. You will need a small allen key to adjust the screws. I have this table but can't remember if the allen key was included. I have several sets of them.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thanks to both of you for the very quick response! I had gone to the Proxxon web site looking for a manual and couldn't find any, but I didn't think to search for the X-Y Table manual. This process is pretty much what I figured it would be. I'll just have to see if I can find the appropriate tools. Again - many thanks for the replies.

Cheers -

John

John

Just got home from chasing a little white ball around the course.... stupid game!!!  Anyhow, I have scanned and added the relevant pages of the manual below. I'm sure it doesn't break copyright as these are available to download on the net. I think the section most relevant to your needs is titled `Adjusting the guide play' Click on pics to enlarge and read. Hope this gets you out of trouble 

Steve

post-1505-0-24616900-1421972623_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-21712700-1421972673_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-07374300-1421972705_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-46536600-1421973059_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-88772300-1421973089_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Very kind of you - thank you! I determined that the nut is a 7/32. Unfortunately, a socket won't fit between the nut and the base (even the small 1/4" drive socket I have), but I was able to get them loose with a wrench. The allen screws appear to need a 1/16" wrench, which I got at the hardware store, but it is really tight. I got a cheap set, so maybe it's just not exactly 1/16".  In any case, I got the gibs tightened and now the table is much better.

So, thanks again to everyone for the help!

Cheers -

John