WASA by jollymillar - Billing Boats Model 490

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, jollymillar said:

Painting it blue or red

Nice work.

Red   https://www.vasamuseet.se/en/exhibitions/vasa-model

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 1 month later...

Currently working on the transom and rudder assembly.... well if I could find the rudder assembly. ! Anyone aware of how the rudder is attached? It looks like  I will have to make the assemblies from scratch. Is this right or am I missing something? nothing surprises with this kit..... Quite challenging but perfect covid project..... stay safe everyone... JM

There should be "U profiles" in your kit. These are the hinges of your rudder
Something like this on the picture.

20200705_104520.thumb.jpg.bf0025a406d62936c4fa2ed1f3470ca9.jpg

example

0034.thumb.jpg.0ff15a6ac1d72ae5c83c27ae7118a488.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Backer...... Thankyou for your reply.... Looked everywhere but no rudder assemblies at all.  I did find an online shop in Toronto where I have purchased rudder assemblies (Gudgeons & Pintles )    https://www.castyouranchorhobby.com/Category/gudgeons_pintles

They will need modifying but better that than making them from scratch.  Thanks you again for the picture and information.

Just to finish your craftmanship is outstanding.......    Stay safe.   JM

Nice looking kit.  Good job on the planking. I bought a Billings Wasa in the 70's as a teenager. It too was single-planked, with cheap printed decks including hatches, far less nice than yours, and what did I know about it anyway?  My planking was so-so. I remember cursing trying to pin them into the balsa blocks at the bow.  There was no internet then with advice and examples.

When I got to the point where the next step was "Use the two balsa blocks provided to carve two lions" I decided I was out of my league.  I threw the hull out years ago but I STILL have the fittings kit! I've never dared try another wooden kit, although I did make several RC kits and a couple of scratch builds. Then off to University and never touched a ship model for 35+ years.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Ian, thanks for the comments.... this is the most difficult kit I have done  and I can see why you gave up on it. There are still a number of issues with the guidelines and the drawings but I have found that the help I get from the site is fantastic. The kits are much better now so try a wooden ship again and let it rip !!!!  Take care and stay safe. JM 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...