Three-mast schooner ATLANTIC by IgorSky - FINISHED - 1/600 Scale - BOTTLE

9 hours ago, IgorSky said:

Igor.

Many thanks.

An illustrated book by you I am pretty certain will be a " die for " for any bottle ship modeller wishing to go the extra mile.

It would surely be a classic.

It is always nicer to read a book than a screen that eventually will not work.

I think I will have to be either one of the two.

A defeatist that is unsure of his limitations or a wise man who is absolutely sure of his limitations.

Who wrote that?....I did!!!

I would have to try to do it anyway to prove the latter.

Pray...what do you use for masts?

Please do not say wood!!! Ha ha.

I can see my HMS Beagle going in a box and not in a bottle.

Think its time to start again but this time with a drawing.

You would get a good job with Rolex!!

Superb micro modelling.

Pete

6 hours ago, Peter Cane said:

Pray...what do you use for masts?

Please do not say wood!!! Ha ha.

Hi Pete!
Thank you!
Yeah, it's bamboo. I often use this kind of tree if I need to get thin masts and spar parts.

A defeatist that is unsure of his limitations or a wise man who is absolutely sure of his limitations.

I think the wise man knows that most of the time there are no limits. 

We set our own limits when we say we can't do anything before we try to do it... :)

I can see my HMS Beagle going in a box and not in a bottle.

Think its time to start again but this time with a drawing.

Why, Pete? Is there a problem?

Best Regards!
Igor.

P.S. There's a forum for bottled shipbuilders. And group in FB too.

Hi Igor.

I don,t use FB.

There are a few problems with Beagle in that I made the masts from cocktail sticks and after drilling several holes through them it has weakened them severely.

I was thinking about bamboo and now you have confirmed that is the material you use.

Secondly I did not use a drawing but made it by eye so in fact it probably does not look anything like Beagle.

I like the way you join the masts using micro brass rings which leave a gap between them.

It is these micro refinements that stand out with me.

My cotton is too thick.

I think you use something thinner?

In essence my model is clumsey because I have not paid attention to detail.

I did not know that these details are humanly possible until I came across your SIB bloggs.

The first thing I need is an illuminated magnifier on a stand.

I may put Beagle down to experience.

I know I can put them in bottles as I have done it decades ago so Beagle in a bottle will not prove anything to me.

After seeing what you have mastered, I am inspired to start again but this time ....properly.

I have always liked the Zeesboot that Nils is currently replicating to a superb model.

I now have a book on the Zeesboot with a drawing included. It also has many pictures of the original.

So now I am armed with the info I need I feel I am better prepared to replicate it in micro form.

Thanks Igor for all you bloggs and help.

I would like to see a picture of the tools that you use if possible??.....to enable me to be better prepared.

What thread do you use please?

It is very thin and there is no fraying visible.

Pete

Hi Pete!

9 hours ago, Peter Cane said:

I was thinking about bamboo and now you have confirmed that is the material you use.

Yes, I use bamboo for masts and spars in almost all my projects, with a few exceptions. They're just bamboo toothpicks. I treat them with sandpaper using a borax machine. But you can't overheat the bamboo.

Secondly I did not use a drawing but made it by eye so in fact it probably does not look anything like Beagle.

I usually print an electronic drawing in the size I need.

I like the way you join the masts using micro brass rings which leave a gap between them.

I use a steel medical needle to make these parts

156.jpg.3240508a269507a248d3c0308db02d2d.jpg157.jpg.86105050a4e1213a5b14774c0254284c.jpg

159.jpg.d942a4ac488a18851b6065a2148694a3.jpg

Okay I get it now with the syringe needles.

If they will sell them to me that is the way I will do my masts from now on.

Question...

Do you drill holes through your masts at any point or do you attach shrouds and the fore and aft rigging using tiny eyes etc?

They would not have drilled holes through the real thing ?

What do you use for rigging lines?

I think I have finally sussed how you get the finest black sail lines representing stitching.

You showed a pic of a piece of sail cloth with one half painted black.

I assume then that you pulled the appropriate threads through until a black thread appears as a stitching line?

It wasnt obvious to me at first.

Most people Igor wonder how we get ships in a bottle.

In your case we wonder how on earth you make something so tiny BEFORE it reaches the bottle!!

Pete

• 2 years later...

Congratulations!  Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Absolutely beautiful Igor!!  Well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Just now getting to look at some of your work.  Absolutely fantastic!  There's so much I can learn from your build logs.  I've got some studying to do!!