Why no jibboom guys on Fair American?

GaryKap

Why would there not be jibboom guys on a 1780 brig like "Fair American"?  I am asking because none are shown on the rigging plan nor do I see any on the recent build logs?  But "Rattlesnake" has them (same era) and "Syren" has them.  Here is a diagram from Petersson (p. 58) to show what I am talking about.    Harland implies that prior to 1800 they were used each time the ship came about (p. 23).  I am thinking of adding them to my "Fair American" build.  Would I be incorrect to do so?

<<Gary>>

post-8380-0-61274900-1422741639_thumb.jpg

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Wonder if this may be another one of the effects of this being a model of a model that has had some re-working of the rigging. Others have commented on some odd issues in the rigging.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Greetings Gary,

I have sheet 2 (11''x 17" size) that shows details of how the spars are to be built for FA and there is a detail specifically showing the jib boom. I am now in the midst of building the spars for FA and I have finished the bowsprit complete with the jib boom as shown on sheet 2. I think the detail you show indicates that the jib boom may be extended for certain conditions and that a second set of guys is required for that scenario. Hope this helps. If you don't have sheet 2, let me know and I can describe exactly what the plan shows.

wq3296 

Thank you figuerres, Pete, and wq3296 for replying to my question.  And thank you wq3296 for your offer regarding the plans.

I have decided to attempt to add the jibboom guys.  This is another one of those things that would have been better done earlier in the construction.  It would have been nice to add the eye bolts in the catheads before putting them on the ship.  Live and learn...

<<Gary>>

If you note, the title of the drawing from Peterssen is jibboom and flying jibboom guys.  He has omitted the physical junction between the two spars.  The flying jibboom is too long to fit on the paper so he has condensed it.

Joel Sanborn

Yes, and I abbreviated what I intend to rig - the two jibboom guys...just like the drawing. B)  Fair American does not have a flying jibboom.

update 2/5/15  It was not as difficult as I feared to put the eyebolts into the catheads.  I have rigged the jibboom guys and other normal rigging. 

<<Gary>>

Edited by GaryKap

• 1 year later...

hey Gary, i've just started the rigging process for my Fair American Build and before I step the masts have rigged the bowsprit et al. I've be very interested to see how your  flying jib boom guys turned out as I am thinking of perhaps adding them. thanks. 

JP