Mantua power tools

Don't know much about the jigsaw, but the lathe has been around a long time. I considered it, very briefly, when I was in the market for a lathe. From my research I concluded that the fact that it was only a 12 volt motor meant that it did not have sufficient 'grunt' to be of much use. It was described as 'chicken powered' in one review that I read. I settled on the proxxon lathe which comes with full mains power (240 volt) in my case - Australia, is well built, has a small footprint and comes with many quality accessories. I have had it for about 2 years and I am very happy with it. When you add the cost of the transformer to the Mantua lathe, it comes out at a similar price to the Proxxon.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

If you decide on a Proxxon, I would also recommend getting the three jaw self-centering chuck as well. In addition Proxxon has put a clip of this lathe - the DB 250 onto YouTube.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I had the Mantua lathe but could not get it to turn anything concentric. It always seemed off centre. Then when it started to sound like a bag of nails and had play in the shaft I sent it back and they replaced it but the second one quickly became the same.

I replaced it with the proxxon which is much better. I just wish they would make a bed extention and another centre for long pieces of work. I have the 3 and 4 jaw chucks which are well worth buying as is the running tailstock centre.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Thunder you can buy another bed from Proxxon.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank, thanks for that, I contacted them some time back and at that time you couldn't get them. Do you have a part number?

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: