Kits to start with and avoid?

luke79

Thanks Richard! Appreciate this post.

5 hours ago, Fright said:

Richard - thanks for your post. I got a really good deal on Model Shipways Bounty launch. This will be my first attempt at a POF build. I picked up Model Shipways English Pinnace but it's deceiving.  I will hone my skills with planking on the launch instead. Thanks again!

Looking forward to your build Fright! Model Shipways makes great kits.... Sargon :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recommend the AL Harvey along with Frank Mastinis Book Ship Modeling Simplified which references this kit. You can pick it up for under 100 dollars on EBay. While not historically accurate - it's an easy build and makes into an attractive first time model. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ARTESANIA-LATINA-1-50-Scale-Baltimore-Clipper-HARVEY-Kit-MINT-Cond-Nice/132653398889?epid=1320503011&hash=item1ee2c23b69:g:dSQAAOSw8FBbGJJV

• 2 weeks later...

I have done the AL longboat and it is a rally good starting kit  at a Great Price. The instructions are simple for a wood kit. It is about 35cm all up and make a nice introduction. Fro that the Caldercraft / Jokita William, Badger & Supply are grat kits in that order. Sample Plans & Instructions are on their site. Thre are a huge cut above the AL, but the price is higher.

Ahoy

I would build the MSW's Gunboat Philadelphia 1/24 kit. Simple hull shape-flat bottomed,easy curved bow and stern. Basswood used-can be replaced at most hobby shops when you screw up a plank for the hull or decks. And you will need extra wood.

Cost is moderate.

Simple rigging-no ratlines.

3 large cannons,easy to rig.

Easy shape of hull to learn planking on for your first hull. And still learn a lot doing it.

Best thing is that it can be completed by those who have little building experence . Our building group started out with this one as our group build. See it at www.woodenshipclass.blogspot.com  . It has photos of all our groups model progress. Here's my Gunboat.

Keith

IMG_3316.JPG