18th Century Longboat by jct - FINISHED - Model Shipways - mod moved

The tape is a good idea, J. I have to remember that one. I like the unevenness of the coffee staining. It looks like the salt staining I get on the canvas duffel bag I keep my diving gear in. I can imagine the same kinds of marks on canvas sails.

When you penciled in your seams, did you have a hard time keeping the cloth from bunching up as you drew the lines? 

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Hi Steve,

Yes it did, I used a small metal ruler to hold it done and multiple light passes with a 4h pencil, that worked pretty well.

J

Hi Jparsley,

Thx... it gives a nice look, you can use it to stain thread for rigging as well

J

Hi everyone,

The gaff and boom were prepared and mounted to the mast and the chains and deadeyes installed, also served the two shrouds.

The work on making and mounting the sails continued, after they were stained and hemmed I decided to sew on the bolt rope...I now have a new respect for those who use needle and thread!   I lost track of how many times I stabbed myself and getting the stitches close in size and shape proved a real challenge.  I think next time I do sails the bolt ropes will be glued on!

As I said in my first post I wanted billowing sails... to accomplish that I borrowed a tip from Hubert Sicard's Dummies site and clipped the sails to a fan turned on full, this filled them out nicely.  I  then painted them with a solution of diluted white glue...three coats were applied allowing each to dry before the application of the next.   Worked very well. 

There will be three sails total but only two, the jib and main will be raised and full...the inner jib will be furled or stowed, haven't decided which yet

Hanks were made from 28 gauge wire and installed on the jib through pre-punched holes...then back to stitching to lace the boom and gaff to the main sail.  Well that's were she rests at this point, next the mast will be stepped and the rigging started.   THX for your interest and time...Pics follow

J

post-3847-0-66179000-1427543203_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-20002900-1427543204_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-74203600-1427543204_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-17167500-1427543205_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-54426000-1427543205_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-14382900-1427543206_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-68055400-1427543206_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-11818300-1427543207_thumb.jpg

Just found your build of Chucks longboat.

Very nicely done.

Especially the shaping of the sails. I have had the similar idea but using a hair dryer but your idea is better due to the uni-formation of the sails.

Will use it for another ship in the yard.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Wow, J, those spars and sails look great. That electric fan sail-billowing technique is inspired. I love seeing the ways people come up with to achieve effects. Amazing.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Nirvana and Steve,  Thanks much for the kudos, I appropriate your kind words, the technique worked well, but I can't take credit for it, that goes to Hubert Sicard.

An update,

the build is progressing, though slowly...I snapped the main mast yet again, this time serving the shrouds to it, that repair set me back a bit.  The rigging is fairly simple for this little boat but since I've added sails it's slightly different from what Chuck laid out in the practicum.  I'm rethinking every step two and three time prior to execution to eliminate any redos...with that said, the mast is up and all the lines associated with the main sail run.

Once the boom blocks were installed I set it at the angle seen in the photos and coated the block rigging with ca to stiffen it, allowing it to hold the boom in that position. The shrouds are up but not mounted to the deadeyes as yet, I'm gonna do them last...moving to the bow and jib sail next.  As always, thanks for your time and attention, Pics follow

J

post-3847-0-73492200-1428233617_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-28239800-1428233618_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-68946000-1428233618_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-05103500-1428233619_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-42241400-1428233619_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-87017800-1428233619_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone,

Well she is finished!  All the rigging was completed per the kit practicum, with the exception of adding a second flag halyard on the port side. Rope  coils were added in the appropriate places and 4 or the supplied oars placed aboard. I'd originally intended to show two full sails and one either furled or stowed on-board some where, I abandoned that idea as the third sail really blocked a lot of the interior details I'd spent so much time on...So she's running with a main and stay sail and no jib, I think at some time in the history of these little vessels they would have sailed this way.

This was really an enjoyable little kit to build, alot of detail in a small package.  Thanks to all that followed along and offered support along the way.  Pics follow.

THX

J

post-3847-0-53563700-1428869553_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-06352800-1428869554_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-45615900-1428869554_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-90692500-1428869554_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-46232300-1428869555_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-88787800-1428869555_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-37818600-1428869556_thumb.jpg

Wow, J, what a beautiful build. I love the colors and detail. I especially like the simple, lightweight stand. I think you broke some kind of speed record building this one!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Steve and Jack, thanks much for your kind remarks, it did go pretty quick.  The stand is Chuck's idea he mentions keeping it simple in the build practicum.  This is a fun little kit, the sails proved to be more of a challenge then I had anticipated but all's well that ends well.  Thanks again guys

J

Uh oh! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I THINK you may have put the mainsail on backwards. I feel the part laced to the mast should be the part that is farthest aft and vice versa.

The tip off is that the peak of the sail, the uppermost aftermost corner on this sort of fore-and-aft sail is usually distinctly higher than the other upper corner.

It would be a shame to get that part wrong since the rest of the work on the model looks really good to me.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hi Frankie,

If I understand the aft most part should be much higher?  I cut it so the boom would be fairly level, this is incorrect?

THX

J

I am not familiar with the kit so I cant say with certainty, and I have certainly been sure I was right about something and was proved wrong in the past so now I have learned not to rashly  say "I know this is how it is". But having said that I wouldn't have written if I didn't think there was something fishy in denmark.

I paused just now and glanced at some books I have looking for ships boat rigging, and all the gaff rigged ones I found are peaked up high.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hi Frankie,

I understand, the aft point on the gaff should be much higher, the error was made when I cut the original fabric for the sail.  At this point with it fully rigged and the mast set it would be difficult to correct, I'll have to live with it. Still being somewhat of a novice I appreciate your input and will remember the next time I do any sails.

THX

Edited by jct

When I did my model of the America years ago I did the same thing. and did not realize I had it on the wrong way until I finished the model. things happen and you just have to live with it.  Nicely done on a difficult model.  Kudos.

David B

Hello J,

After your suggestion of the 18th Century Longboat I was quick to review your log.  I am so impressed!  What a fantastic job.  If I decide to try this build i don't think I would be able to follow in your footsteps.  I love the entire build.  Something to think about but it is along the lines of what I was although thinking about.  How nice, J.

Best,

Jerry

It is a great model and the workmanship is beautiful. Whenever I post a critical thing about someones model I always worry it will be taken wrong and as a result I usually don't post anything. "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything" school of thought. But on the other hand my thinking was that if it was my model and I had taken a misstep, I would want to hear it. But I know me, and so I also know that I do not take criticisim well, no matter how it is intended.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hello J,

After your suggestion of the 18th Century Longboat I was quick to review your log.  I am so impressed!  What a fantastic job.  If I decide to try this build i don't think I would be able to follow in your footsteps.  I love the entire build.  Something to think about but it is along the lines of what I was although thinking about.  How nice, J.

Best,

Jerry

Thanks for your kind words Jerry, was a fun little build

It is a great model and the workmanship is beautiful. Whenever I post a critical thing about someones model I always worry it will be taken wrong and as a result I usually don't post anything. "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything" school of thought. But on the other hand my thinking was that if it was my model and I had taken a misstep, I would want to hear it. But I know me, and so I also know that I do not take criticisim well, no matter how it is intended.

Thanks Frankie...and no problem here with the criticism, I believe these logs should help serve others as well as give us an outlet to share our hobby, if a post can help someone and prevent an error I'm all in favor of it. 

When working on a model I would ask cub memebers how I was doing and when they told m what I was doing wrong I would take it and try to fis the problems constructive criticism is important if you tel someone they are making a part wrong you should be able to tell that person how to fix the problem.  If you are just trying to be a know it all and think belittling someone that is not the way to be.

David B