Scratch Build George Law rigging question

Boat Doc

I'm currently researching configurations and drawing plans to scratch build a 1:48 scale SS George Law (aka SS Central America). Images I have found of other models and drawings show very little detail as far as rigging goes. To me this rigging appears incomplete.

stack-th.jpg

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions as to where I might find information about rigging standards for steamships cir. 1850 - 1860?

Its an era that is underrepresented in the hobby. There is certainly a need for more information about this transitional period as it is fascinating and has some real oddball pairings of ships and rigs. I wish I could remember the name but I recently saw a modelers plan of an early 20th century ocean liner that had square rigged sails AND a catapult for a seaplane. I would LOVE to imagine a scenario where the seaplane pilot is aloft helping to furl the sail, then gets the word the ship is in range and he must  return to the deck, suit up and fly the mail ahead to New York.

Niagara USS Constitution 

My only title I can think of is Unerhill's Masting and Rigging of the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier. Not because it has any content relating to transitional steam and sail vessels, it has NONE. But it does cover steel wire rope and chain and the iron fixtures that would be utilized on ships like the one you are talking about, ships from the late stage of sail. I think Underhill and his several books are considered the best source for late stage sail and riging information.

Niagara USS Constitution 

If sails were to be bent to the square yards, one would need the usual assortment of blocks for buntlines, clueless and leechlines attached. Also there would surely be footropes. I believe there were also jackstays fitted during this time period. Presumably there would be mast hoops and brail blocks for the fore and aft sails as well.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

My only title I can think of is Unerhill's Masting and Rigging of the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier. Not because it has any content relating to transitional steam and sail vessels, it has NONE. But it does cover steel wire rope and chain and the iron fixtures that would be utilized on ships like the one you are talking about, ships from the late stage of sail. I think Underhill and his several books are considered the best source for late stage sail and riging information.

Thank you I will look up Underhill's book.

If sails were to be bent to the square yards, one would need the usual assortment of blocks for buntlines, clueless and leechlines attached. Also there would surely be footropes. I believe there were also jackstays fitted during this time period. Presumably there would be mast hoops and brail blocks for the fore and aft sails as well.

I agree, first thing I noticed were no foot ropes! Any idea where I might find some good images and of diagrams of this rigging?

There are several books that cover this period - Lever, Nares, Meade, Biddlecombe, Brady   - 

This vessel is contemporary with the clippers and the rigging would be rope. 

I think that the rigging would be the same as the 1850's clippers and packets.  The steam is the add-on.

They probably did not totally trust the steam, and on a long voyage - given the efficiency of the engines - could carry no cargo but fuel coal if they used the engines for anything but getting into a harbor or a dead calm.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 3 years later...