HMS Victory by robert22564 - Caldercraft - scale 1:72

Glennard, David......thanks for your kind words of encouragement :)

I've been doing a little experiment or you could call it practice runs on decking, a lot of advice on here.......HB Pencil, Black Marker Pen, Cocktail sticks for tree nails etc etc etc.

I'll post a pick when i find something I'm happy with. :)

Hello Robert..

I had no idea that you have started to build Victory and happily i came across your log this morning.  I see that my friends Glenn and David have been paying regular visits to your site and have been watching your progress.  You have two excellent tutors communicating with you but I thought you'd like to also hear from someone on the other side of the pond.  From what I see you are doing a very good job so far and I know you will end up with a beautiful model aas David did and Glenn will.  I'm happy to see that David advised you to drill the two pedestal holes for that is something I didn't do so as you may see from my build log, I ended up standing my Victory on a small cradle.  There are other aspects to your build that I really like including painting the framework black.  This was an afterthought for me and of course was  more difficult when I did it later in the build.  Please include me on your list of followers and feel free to contact me any time I may be of help.  Good luck and best to you,

Jerry

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1951-hms-victory-by-jerry-jotika-scale-172-1805-version-wood/?hl=%2Bhms+%2Bvictory+%2Bjerry

Hello Robert..

I had no idea that you have started to build Victory and happily i came across your log this morning.  I see that my friends Glenn and David have been paying regular visits to your site and have been watching your progress.  You have two excellent tutors communicating with you but I thought you'd like to also hear from someone on the other side of the pond.  From what I see you are doing a very good job so far and I know you will end up with a beautiful model aas David did and Glenn will.  I'm happy to see that David advised you to drill the two pedestal holes for that is something I didn't do so as you may see from my build log, I ended up standing my Victory on a small cradle.  There are other aspects to your build that I really like including painting the framework black.  This was an afterthought for me and of course was  more difficult when I did it later in the build.  Please include me on your list of followers and feel free to contact me any time I may be of help.  Good luck and best to you,

Jerry

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1951-hms-victory-by-jerry-jotika-scale-172-1805-version-wood/?hl=%2Bhms+%2Bvictory+%2Bjerry

Hello Jerry, yes it's refreshing to know that David & Glenn are watching over me, I've had a quick look at your build log "I've followed it and will have a more in depth look over the next couple of weeks" you have created a work of art, that's for sure. My goal is to complete this kit, if I can do that I'll be a very happy bunny. :)

Not sure if it will be a problem for you but when I added the balsa sills to the gun ports at this early stage it did make the installation of the gun deck and quarterdeck more interesting. I seem to recall I ended up cutting the gun deck in two to aid installation because of the sills I had fitted.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Not sure if it will be a problem for you but when I added the balsa sills to the gun ports at this early stage it did make the installation of the gun deck and quarterdeck more interesting. I seem to recall I ended up cutting the gun deck in two to aid installation because of the sills I had fitted.

Very good point Glenn, just looked at that and your right it's going to hamper the fitting of the gun deck, it's seems i'll be following you and cutting it cleanly down the middle. :)

Hello Robert

Yes Glenn's correct, some builders opted to split the deck. There is also the option of opening up the slots and narrowing the width of the deck by trimming the edges which I did, as all the deck is covered by planking plus the inner bulwarks and trim, so you can obtain lots of clearance, regards DAVID

I've had a little practice run on decking, Black marker pen was a bit hit and miss with me.

Black thread was a little better but still not as clean as I would like it to be.

Using a HB pencil was not for me.

In the end of my little experiment I've elected to go with using black card as this method is something I'm comfortable with & most importantly within my skill limits.

Tree nails?.........the jury's still out on that one.........right, back to "first planking. :)

post-17761-0-63925900-1424518694_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-24670600-1424518666_thumb.jpg

Hello Robert

Well that caulking looks excellent. Really outstanding. What have you used for the tree nails, and what size drill have you used. Looks like we are going to follow something special here. Well done Robert. DAVID

Hello David, thanks for such wonderful comments. It's a 1.5 mm drill bit and simply poking in some cocktail sticks, clean up after with a small chisel. :)

Hi Robert,

I'm just reading your log and I have to say I'm impressed by the speed......

And it looks great !

Maybe a tip, hint or whatever you want to call it...

I see that you are using full length of planks.

Maybe it is better to use scale planks ?

For me it was easier to work with that then full planks.

If this is better for you, don't change !

Sjors

Hi Robert,

I'm just reading your log and I have to say I'm impressed by the speed......

And it looks great !

Maybe a tip, hint or whatever you want to call it...

I see that you are using full length of planks.

Maybe it is better to use scale planks ?

For me it was easier to work with that then full planks.

If this is better for you, don't change !

Sjors

Hi Sjors, thanks for the tip......I agree scaled planks are much easier to work with for the top planking and as you can see that's exactly what i'm doing :D

post-17761-0-36228400-1425157704_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-24311300-1425157714_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-02058900-1425157726_thumb.jpg

:D Robert.

Then I have another tip for you that you have not done ......

Use filler on the first planking and sanding it smooth!

Now I see a few gaps and you will see that on the second planking.

It will save you a lot of work.

Take a look at my Agamemnon ( when you can find when I was planking over there )

Sjors

:D Robert.

Then I have another tip for you that you have not done ......

Use filler on the first planking and sanding it smooth!

Now I see a few gaps and you will see that on the second planking.

It will save you a lot of work.

Take a look at my Agamemnon ( when you can find when I was planking over there )

Sjors

Thanks for the tip Sjors, yes I've had a look at your log and see what you mean, you caught me just in time........working on that now as we speek ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So as suggested I used a filler that was laying around to fill the cracks and gaps in the first planking, little did I know that it was going to be a nightmare to sand down, I used a flexible filler.......eeek

post-17761-0-19123700-1426071479_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-58437300-1426071486_thumb.jpg

So after that little nightmare i managed to get it into a condition for the second planking.

post-17761-0-10731400-1426071608_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-07892000-1426071616_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-72930100-1426071624_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-38730700-1426071634_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-35538900-1426071643_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-81546500-1426071650_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-06641400-1426071659_thumb.jpg

Finished on side, just a little to go on the other side but waiting for some more Ca to arrive, in the meantime i'm in the process of filling and rubbing down of the completed side.

post-17761-0-41710900-1426071934_thumb.jpg

Hello Robert

Well done with the second planking so far. From what I can see the starboard side will be a doddle for you. If you want to use a different filler go to the pound shop. You wii have no prob with theirs. Keep enjoying it. Regards DAVID

Thanks David, yes i'm thoroughly enjoying this at the moment, I don't think it's going to bad at all at this early stage. :)