Endeavour by maggsl_01 - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:54

Hello my freinds

thank you all for your feedback.  I decided not to attach any more sails at the stays. I tried to furl them - but that did not look any good.

So the best will be to renounce any further sails.

I like the look with the sails quite much - but I think next time (Fregatte Berlin) I will not work with sails. If you give so much attention to the yards and all the fixing of the yards to the masts then it is a pity to hide this work under the sails. Also the view to the deck is restricted.  

BTW - does anyone know from which time on the crawfeed were used?

Thx alot my mates

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends

yes - it is done. My interpretation of Mr Cooks famous Endeavour is ready. I finished the build, only a stand (ordered) and a hood will be necessary. But this is just a final moment.

It is almost one year that I spent with the Occre kit. The building was always a fun to do although there were some tricky steps to take. Especially the instructions are something to criticize - and here indeed the instructions for rigging and the sails. They are too superficial and do  not show the details for many things.

Nevertheless - all at all I would recommend this kit with good conscience to a modeller with some expierence. You can improve the model with additional items like the buoys for the anchors, the covers for the windows  or additional rigging like the backstays for the topgallants. Therefore it's good to take a look at the AOTS Endeavour.

I will later take pics when the stand is done and create a gallery. The next time I will take a break until the next model will be on the desk. I am not sure if I start with the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model orf the Fregatte Berlin by Corel. Well, let's see

CU

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-48210800-1454183465_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-21748900-1454183472_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-36853600-1454183488_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-72434200-1454183492_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-36903500-1454183496_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-49985100-1454183503_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-36667100-1454183525_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-43521900-1454183567_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-51664600-1454183572_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-72926900-1454183588_thumb.jpg

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

Great job Max,

Looks fantastic!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hello my mates...

thank you all for your kind words. I am not so happy with the sails and will probably not use sails anymore. But I wanted to try and see. Both I did, and now I can decide in a considered manner.

As mentioned I am quite content with the kit. In every kit there are more or less things to improve - so the effort for this kit was average. I like to have real plans and drawings more than the photo-booklets as plans give more Information about size and shape. So you can better handle with improvements or changes. The book AOTS Endeavour by Mr Marquardt is an enormous treasure-box. The descriptions and drawings there gave me some inspiration  on my way through the build.

Nevertheless this model is just one Interpretation and I see so much stunning models and logs around. Every modeller has his own sight and his own Level to create a almost perfect model. I always compare my doing with the progress I see in other logs. It is so satisfying to learn from others and to give the own knowledge to others.

I hope the parts for the stand will be delivered this week so I can complete the model and take some more pics (esp  details)

Best wishes to all my friends and followers

Cheerio

Max

Hello my friends

now this is the last update for my Endeavour

I finished the model and created a Gallery in the Gallery section with 22 pics

Thank you all for your attention, your comments and all the kind words.

I will take a break now, but I will be back with my next project. This will be the Fregatte Berlin by Corel, but sure not before April.

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-93652300-1454626016_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-48169700-1454626024_thumb.jpg

Hello again :D

I have to do some additional updates... I did some very big mistakes... All sails rigging - clew garnet (?) is wrong. I always thought that something looks strange. But I did not recognize what. But yesterday I found out what was wrong. All the ropes have to be fixed on the backside of the sails not on the front. But I did all acording to the instructions. But the instructions are bad in view of rigging. They do not differ between front and back and they do not show exactly the Details.

I can not leave this failure. So I redo all relevant rigging (I estimate about 20 to 25 hrs all in all)

I will show some pice when I am through and then really finished :D

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-09651800-1454880199_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-71926700-1454880202_thumb.jpg

Don't worry Max you followed the instruction sheet it does show them going forward.Have a look at other finished Endeavour builds to see how they have done it.ron.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi all

Addition: I just purchased a small used book from a second-hand-bookshop. It is an old german book about rigging... should have done earlier :)

cheerio

Max

wow Max........sorry that I missed your build of this wonderful ship!   you've done such a beautiful job.......must have been a real heartbreak to find out about the clew rigging.    you'll fix it with no problem.....just gonna be a pain to get the clew blocks on the other side of the sails.   a year is very quick for a model of this caliber....amazing that you did it in that little time.   great looking ship my friend......I certainly hope I don't miss the Berlin.......I'll keep my eyes open for it start  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Max before you re-do anything have a look at google images under Endeavour full sails,looks like some photos do have lines going forward.ron.

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Max

Here are a couple of pics of my AL Endeavour with sails that may clear things up for you.

You can see that the clew lines run aft of the sail, whereas the bunt lines run down the front of the sails

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-12007800-1455174400_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-39629200-1455174423_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Ron, Steve

thx so much for the further infos about the rigging of the sails. I change my rigging step by step - is not as difficult as I thought - just a lot of extra thread. But it goes really good.

@Steve I like the thread you used for that rigging. Looks very realistic, esp that the ropes are not too much taut.

Cheerio

Max

Endeavour photo

Hi Kiwiron,

artificial sea level, cutaway, and seperate disposal of crew, marine soldiers officers, storage and cargo, lovely details

whoever built that model should win a prize for the idea, thanks for sharing that inspiring pic...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello again my friends

I have now at least finished the Endeavour.

I have changed all the sails rigging according to AOTS and now am quite content with the result.

Thank you all again for your Attention. I started this log (and the build) exactly one year ago. Now I will have a break before I begin with the Fregatte Berlin. But I will join the MSW regulary.

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-22045600-1455737324_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-25395900-1455737329_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-46245200-1455737335_thumb.jpg

I see what you mean by the clew garnets,some of the rigging instructions are guess work but if I go over them enough i'll understand it.

Hi Ron,

the instructions are not that bad - if you undertsand what is the frontside and what is the backside. But I missunderstood resp did not see the difference. Now this will never happen again as I now understood the system and the function of the sails rigging. But a newbie to sails... well... But life is always a ongoing learning :D so I could learn a lot...

I am sure your Endeavour will turn into a proud and beautiful little ship

Cheerio

Max

Congratulations, a job very well done